Just how fast does a Brachypelma albopilosum grow?

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This sling molted about 2 weeks ago and now looks like it is ready to molt again. Is that possible? How fast do these things grow?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This sling molted about 2 weeks ago and now looks like it is ready to molt again. Is that possible? How fast do these things grow?
How exactly does it look like it's ready to molt again? What makes you think so? To answer your question, the B.albopilosum I had awhile back molted about once every 2-3 months, till it was around 3".

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's got the black patch on it's butt just like it did before the last molt.
It wasn't there when he ate the other day and today I noticed it was there.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's got the black patch on it's butt just like it did before the last molt.
It wasn't there when he ate the other day and today I noticed it was there.

Can you get a picture? How big is it? Small slings usually have small black patches, and then it gets bigger when they are in premolt.

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's it. It's really large now. Very, very noticeable just like last time.
I can't get a picture. It's only about a 1/2 inch in size and my camera can't focus to such a small thing (I've tried).

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's it. It's really large now. Very, very noticeable just like last time.
I can't get a picture. It's only about a 1/2 inch in size and my camera can't focus to such a small thing (I've tried).
Maybe it could be molting again, it's really hard to tell just from words because I have my little Grammostola spp. and Brachypelma spp. slings have a little patch of black, which I would presume is their mirror patch. The only thing left to say is.. only time will tell. Good luck, and post back here when and if it molts.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well long story short they aint fast growers lol. I feed mine fairly generous and from the sac I had roughly this time last year and the largest one is pushing 1 1/4".

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My male has gone from 0.5-1 cm to between 3-4" in 10 months. Id' call that pretty fast.

Powerfeed is the sh*t! :D

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have two Brachypelma albopilosum. They were about 3/4 inch in size when purchased in October. The first three months they molted about every 30 days or so. Last three months only molted once. They are around 1 1/2- 2 inches in size now and getting ready to molt. On slings you can see a molt coming pretty easy. When the entire rear end turns a darker color a molt is coming soon. Good luck.

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a half of a sac of slings of B. albospilosum. I always fed them very well, and at first grew pretty fast.

It must be at least 2 years right now, and their growth seems to have leveled off at around 3", and proceeding quite slowly.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
From what I have seen, of the brachys my albopilosum has the fastest growth rate. That being said fast for a brachy ain't all that fast. Mine went from about 1/2" to about 2" or 2.5" in about a year.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Mine went from about 1/2" to about 2" or 2.5" in about a year.
Yeah, being one of my first two T's, I fed mine a rather large amount, and had it over 3" in a year. But since then, I've seen no B. albo compare in growth to my first.:)

-Sean

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
baby brachy, aphono, grammo, all have a patch of urticating setae on their butt that is often mistaken for the imminent molt indicator of adults.

people here about the "black patch" and assume this clump of setae is it... the black patch is ONLY visible if the spider has some how scraped off all the setae on it's butt (or rather, a patch of them)

with little spiderlings they are sufficiently translucent that the whole spider tends to change color (darkening) just before a molt

FlaRe

Arachnopeon
1 cm to 3.5 - 4cm ls in 4.5 months for 15 slings. That's what I have recorded. Temperature makes a big difference so as powerfeeding. I'm in the Philippines.

Last edited: