Just had my first escape

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Not really an "escape" so much as that she just got outside the enclosure. I just got done with a 3 hour car ride, and Regina the G. pulchripes did NOT enjoy it. Stress curled the whole time. Anyway, a few minutes ago i touched her with a tissue to test her mood, and she whirled around and bit it. And I really need to work on my reaction to that sort of thing, because i let go of the tissue and she climbed out of the enclosure. No catch cup, sice I assumed I wouldn't have this issue on this trip, i used the lid to nudge her back in. But my hands were shaking so much and I still feel like I'm on a sugar high. So clearly she's not in a happy mood, and I need to take her back home in a week in the car, and then two days later I need to take her on the bus to Austin. How can I get her to be calmer during the trip?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If you can dampen the vibrations from the ride in the best way possible it might help.

I would give her some quiet time after reaching the destination. Treat it kind of like a rehousing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I drove across country with my (small) collection a few years ago. They just had to deal with it, can't say I did anything special for them other than toss a blanket over them. They were all stressed, but... yeah, they got over it.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I drove across country with my (small) collection a few years ago. They just had to deal with it, can't say I did anything special for them other than toss a blanket over them. They were all stressed, but... yeah, they got over it.
I think she'll be fine. I'll wrap a towel around the enclosure for padding and darkness.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No catch cup, sice I assumed I wouldn't have this issue on this trip, i used the lid to nudge her back in.
Shame... if the enclosure is open you should have a catch cup. :p

Like everyone else said let her calm down after you stop. If she is stressed she will bolt if bothered. I drove a few home I bought from the show a few hours away. When I got them home I made sure they were alive and left them along for a few hours. Getting them into their new cups was much easier after the rest.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Shame... if the enclosure is open you should have a catch cup. :p

Like everyone else said let her calm down after you stop. If she is stressed she will bolt if bothered. I drove a few home I bought from the show a few hours away. When I got them home I made sure they were alive and left them along for a few hours. Getting them into their new cups was much easier after the rest.
This happened more than an hour after we had arrived. I naively thought it had been long enough lol. I won't be messing with her for the rest of the week. Hopefully the bus will be smoother.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Clearly that happened because you didn't prayed Peanut the right way, recently :-s

How can I get her to be calmer during the trip?
'Nurture' Regina with one of Peanut's tales during the trip, and she will gently stretch herself imagining the marvelous, unfinished crickets meadow, where the sun is gentle and water pure u_u

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not really an "escape" so much as that she just got outside the enclosure.
Glad you don't own OWs yet.
Not really an "escape" so much as that she just got outside the enclosure..... Anyway, a few minutes ago i touched her with a tissue to test her mood, and she whirled around and bit it. And I really need to work on my reaction to that sort of thing, ...No catch cup, sice I assumed I .....But my hands were shaking so much and I still feel like I'm on a sugar high.

Glad your T is OK, a very, very poor assumption especially with a grumpy T.

Glad you don't own an OW T ;)

They just have to suck it up during a trip. I've done longer trips, some were fine, some were not happy.