Just had babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
SO. Just came home from the NC Exotic Reptile and Animal show today!!! Came home w/ some new T's and a few more Moon Crabs :D

Anyway, was checking on my animals, and decided to look in at my Scorpion.
SHE HAD BABIES ALL OVER HER!!!

I was so excited :D It was so cute!!!! I don't know how many were on here, at least 20. They are all about 1/2" long. White and shiny. I did a search on here, and let me see if I got this straight.

In a couple of weeks I, when the babies come OFF mom's back, I need to seperate them in to their own container, right?? Could I put half in one container, and half in the other???? Would it be alright to keep them all together for a while? How long????

I seen the mom munching on one of them though :( I won't disturb her anymore. It's an Asian Forest Scorpion. I read on there that gestation is 9 months!! That is crazy!!

Thanks for any info, I really need it!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I took pics, and will post them Monday :)

"proud mom"

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how was the show in raleigh by the way? and you are right, do not disturb her, or you wont have anymore babies

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
how was the show in raleigh by the way? and you are right, do not disturb her, or you wont have anymore babies

The show was excellent! LOTS to look at. The first one I went to was in 99 I think. It was great. The last one I went to was in 03. I can be talked into anything when it comes to animals, LOL

I AM SO EXCITED!!! They are all so cute, I may not be able to part with them {D

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The show was excellent! LOTS to look at. The first one I went to was in 99 I think. It was great. The last one I went to was in 03. I can be talked into anything when it comes to animals, LOL

I AM SO EXCITED!!! They are all so cute, I may not be able to part with them {D

i kno that if any of my scorps had any babbies i would be greedy and keep them all for myself ;P ;P but im happy to see u so excited about it.. i hope that i come home 1 day adn find one of my scorps covered in little ones... LUCKY!!!

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i kno that if any of my scorps had any babbies i would be greedy and keep them all for myself ;P ;P but im happy to see u so excited about it.. i hope that i come home 1 day adn find one of my scorps covered in little ones... LUCKY!!!
Then go get a male and female and mate them, it's easier than getting and A in english.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to attempt to post pics of this girl w/ her babies later today! I wish I could get a *head* count of the babies! But I just don't want to upset her!

I am very excited!

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
glad to hear you have babies!

i was really disappointed by the show. turned up early on saturday, and i saw lots of dehydrated/WC/overpriced arachnids (and a LOT of WC g. rosea, e. murinus, and a. avicularia). even saw a couple who were already dead or dying, and one was rotten and liquifying. i wanted to make them hand them over just so they'd have a chance at surviving. :(

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
glad to hear you have babies!

i was really disappointed by the show. turned up early on saturday, and i saw lots of dehydrated/WC/overpriced arachnids (and a LOT of WC g. rosea, e. murinus, and a. avicularia). even saw a couple who were already dead or dying, and one was rotten and liquifying. i wanted to make them hand them over just so they'd have a chance at surviving. :(
I was there when they opened the doors as well. I SO AGREE about the condistions of the arachnids :( I told Brian that so many were going to die today. I knew it. There was one vendor who didn't have a clue what kind of spiders he had. I seen a lot of dead trap door spiders at his table, and dead cobalts. I wanted to cry when I seen them :( And to cus them out at the same time. I WAS REALLY ANGRY :mad:

I have seen that a lot at the shows, but this one was the worst.

I felt sorry for most everything there. But the worst was the arachnids.....

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they are asian forests you MIGHT be able to get away with raising them communally, a lot of people have successfully done that. You still might have a few casualties though, if you decide to do so. It just depends on if taking care of 20 individuals is too much of a hastle or not. I personally prefer to take care of young individually, 'course all my slings are barks, so I don't have a choice.....

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
If they are asian forests you MIGHT be able to get away with raising them communally, a lot of people have successfully done that. You still might have a few casualties though, if you decide to do so. It just depends on if taking care of 20 individuals is too much of a hastle or not. I personally prefer to take care of young individually, 'course all my slings are barks, so I don't have a choice.....

That is good to know :) But I don't mind taking care of them individually. I just need more deli containers for them :)

I can't really see them very well right now, b/c the mother is hid in a hidey rock. I can only shine a flash light in there. I really hope she doesn't eat any more of them.....

As soon as they leave her back, I can separate and start feeding them, right?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Siblings will seldom cannibalize in my experience. They are more likely to do that if from different mothers and fathers and even then they will be less likely if fed really well

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Siblings will seldom cannibalize in my experience. They are more likely to do that if from different mothers and fathers and even then they will be less likely if fed really well
What I meant by cannibalize, is, I did seen the mother eat one the other night. She had it up to her mouth anyway, I can only assume she was trying/did eat it :(

If she eats one, will she try to eat them all????????????

I am trying NOT to disturb her, so that is why I am asking. I don't want to move her hide to see the babies....I can barely see them w/ the flashlight.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello Angela,

Normally the mother will eat the sick babys that probably wouldnt survive anyway. Keep the substrate moist and the temps at 80F or above and you should be ok. After they molt into 2nd instar Mom will be real hungry so give her a big roach or 3 or 4 crickets. Once the young mult into 2nd instar there will probably not be anymore cannibalizing from Mom.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Hello Angela,

Normally the mother will eat the sick babys that probably wouldnt survive anyway. Keep the substrate moist and the temps at 80F or above and you should be ok. After they molt into 2nd instar Mom will be real hungry so give her a big roach or 3 or 4 crickets. Once the young mult into 2nd instar there will probably not be anymore cannibalizing from Mom.

I did raise the humidity, the sides of the aquarium are sweating a little. She is in a 5 gallon, and really likes being in her hide. The temp is around the 80 mark as well.

So when the molt into 2nd instar, they will start leaving her back, right???? Gosh, they will be hard to find in all that sphagnum moss. It will be alright to just pick them up, right? To move into delicups, that is. If I keep them together for a little while, will they be vunerable to each other when molting?

Maybe 2-3 per delicup or something right now.

What kind of substrate do I need to keep the babies in once separated?? Coconut fiber???? I have plenty of crickets growing right now to be able to feed them....in a few weeks...

Thanks for your replies :}

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep everything on moist peat but seems like just as many here use the coco fiber with no complaints so I guess its just a matter of personal preference.
They will molt into 2nd instars and stay on Moms back and sometimes even after they leave will crawl back on when disturbed. They will be very fragile so it would be best to just scoop they up with a small cup. And yeah 2-3 per deli will be fine. Again thats a matter of personal preference. When fewer are kept together it is easier to keep track of how much they have eaten. They will be picky eaters at first and may only attack crickets much smaller than them but once 3rd instar arrives watch out!!! They will become quite aggressive by that time during feeding and will attack anything they can overpower.

Best of luck with those. We need more captive bred Pandinus in the hobby. I hope the CB stock will eventually replace the WC imports.

Keep up the good work

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very true, it would be nice to just leave the natives alone.. it would be nice for most species... but slow growth and wide spread availability will most likely keep the WC's comming. It'd be nice if they didn't sell them at all, then people would have the chance to get rid of they're CB stock, plus it would prevent all the idiots who keep them wrong and flood the board asking why they're dead.{D

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the great replies! I just want to do this right. I bought her not knowing she was prego. I am really excited :)

I had NO idea they were prego for 9 months!! All this info is really cool.

How old do they have to be, to be able to sex them????

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
As soon as you can see the pectine well enough you can sex them out. If your eyesite is like mine it will be a few molts LOL
Thanks!!! I guess they are kinda like the T's, as soon as you CAN see, you can sex them :)

Is it safe to breed from the same brood? {D