Just had a sling watering idea!

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I had nothing on hand to act as a very shallow water dish for my sling....so I put a quarter in the cage and dropped water onto it untill it made a nice little shallow water dome. It retained its surface tension even when the sling stepped on it. To me, this is a revelation. To you, this may be old news. ;) Anyone have any reason why I shoudn't do this? Should I wash the quarter? I would think that even the small about of soap residue, even if I rinse well, will be harmful. So I didn't wash it.

Any other ideas I can use?

-LT

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hey LT,
What I did, when my wee ones were VERY tiny, (and in vials) was to take my mister, and roll a drop of water down the side of the vial.

Peace,
Gillian

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well my little guy is about 1 1/2 inch. I have him in a Whole Foods container, so he has some space to walk around in. It's got about an inch or so of peat, and no hide (I keep him in a dark space anyway). So if I mist the edges, I think it'll roll down and be absorbed in the dirt. But if I get a real tiny one and keep it in a vial, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

-LT

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lost_Tarantula
Well my little guy is about 1 1/2 inch. I have him in a Whole Foods container, so he has some space to walk around in. It's got about an inch or so of peat, and no hide (I keep him in a dark space anyway). So if I mist the edges, I think it'll roll down and be absorbed in the dirt. But if I get a real tiny one and keep it in a vial, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

-LT

LT,
You got it..:) If you have a whole foods container, you might be able to spray a bit more in.

Peace,
Gillian

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My only concern would be that very very few things are as dirty as money. It has been in way too many places and handled by way too many people do be deemed safe unless it was cleaned well, but even then I wouldnt trust it...slings are so vulerable and small. You have an excellent idea though, perhaos you could use one of those plastic things underneath a bottlecap of a 600mL or 2 liter pop bottle instead or something similar.

Mark

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IME, as well as the recommendations I've read, you don't need to provide any water dish for slings. You should just keep their substrate somewhat damp. They acquire all of their water needs from their food source and you keep the substrate damp to prevent the T from drying out. Since the booklungs are on the underside of their abdomens, I think you may be putting your slings at risk of drowning by providing a water dish of any type.

Botar

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lost_Tarantula
Well I had nothing on hand to act as a very shallow water dish for my sling....so I put a quarter in the cage and dropped water onto it untill it made a nice little shallow water dome. It retained its surface tension even when the sling stepped on it. To me, this is a revelation. To you, this may be old news. ;) Anyone have any reason why I shoudn't do this? Should I wash the quarter? I would think that even the small about of soap residue, even if I rinse well, will be harmful. So I didn't wash it.

Any other ideas I can use?

-LT
Yes, I read somewhere that you could use coins as proxy water dishes for slings . I would just rinse the coin in cold water and dry it off. I tried using one, but my sling is such an earth mover, the coin quickly got lost under the shifting dunes.