Just had a lesson in complacency

GG80

Arachnoknight
During feeding, my calmest T, a B. smithi (2"DLS) just bolted and was half way out of the enclosure before I managed to act quickly and grab a nearby coaster to prevent an escape.
This T is so laid back it has let me pull bolus' from underneath it in the past so I assumed it would be no problem to place the enclosure on a cluttered table, remove the lid and take some pics. I got a few pics and everything was fine and then BOOM!!. It was up the wall and half way out until I managed to block it.
Had it escaped I could have had a problem finding it as there were so much stuff for it to hide in on the table.

This is just a reminder to us all that you have to expect the unexpected at all times and never take a chance.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've had various species, in the excitement of catching prey, miss the prey and run out of their cages. You have to be careful, as they're pumped up and can strike at anything moving. When I do anything with my spiders, I'm almost always standing, ready to react, with a catch cup in arm's reach. Never know who's going to be feeling frisky.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Where you using the flash on your camera?
No I wasn't using the flash and I was very still. It was fine until I introduced the cricket. I'm sure that was the cause.

I've had various species, in the excitement of catching prey, miss the prey and run out of their cages. You have to be careful, as they're pumped up and can strike at anything moving. When I do anything with my spiders, I'm almost always standing, ready to react, with a catch cup in arm's reach. Never know who's going to be feeling frisky.
You're spot on. I have some Ts like my L.p that I don't take the lid off at all. I just open it and slide the lid aside just enough to give water and food. Same with my B. boehmei and GBB. They're just too unpredictable and as I have learned today, so are the 'quiet' ones.

evilebe

Arachnosquire
I'm a bit of a rebel. I feed everything pretty much the same. If they run out I just catch them and put them back in. I have pokies bolt and don't think it's that big of a deal. I let my ts out to roam around so I can watch them and take pics. I'm more careful with my l violaceopes but besides that pretty much anything goes.

gobey

Arachnoknight
/\
Yeah I'm not so much about that I think...

I have spiders who I'm used to... But I treat each one like a nuclear bomb I suppose in being prepared for anything... I find new world Ts give me more inconsistent behavior honestly... But when an Old World decides to bolt it's way trickier. Mine all usually just hide though. But you never know.

crlovel

Arachnopeon
I'm a bit of a rebel. I feed everything pretty much the same. If they run out I just catch them and put them back in. I have pokies bolt and don't think it's that big of a deal. I let my ts out to roam around so I can watch them and take pics. I'm more careful with my l violaceopes but besides that pretty much anything goes.
Didn't you get the memo? It's an O. violaceopes now.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No I wasn't using the flash and I was very still. It was fine until I introduced the cricket. I'm sure that was the cause.
Ah, I was wondering cause mine used to start when I used a flash. Now, I mainly use the constant light from the soft box when photographing my Ts. Causes a lot less commotion.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Centipedes, my man, are the real deal. Always a fun :-s

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why are you doing that?
Because I'm a newb that has something to prove and obts are the coolest tarantulas ever. Durhurrhurrruhurhr.

Jk.
Complacency.
I skipped a catch cup for routine maintenance and had to use my hands to guide her back in after an escape attempt.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Am I the only one that, btw, see a sort of 'smiling face' in the butt of those old good damned 'Baboons' ?