Just got myself a pair of,,,

spmack

Arachnopeon
P. Metalicas. :razz: :)

I only bought them yesterday from a German Breeder at the Invicta Arachnid Club show in Kent. Pics to follow, I just couldn't wait to tell someone that would understand just how special they are and how lucky I was to find them.

One "confirmed" female (by the seller) already showing those unique markings and colouration, and another that's slightly smaller and a little greyer (perhaps a male?), both are between 1.5 and 2 inches at the moment.

Right now I have them both in the same tub, until their tank dries up a little. I'm afraid I overdid the moisture and moss when setting up their new home. :8o
I bought them together, in the same tub, and am planning on keep them together. But, I admit I am just abit concerned about if they "fall out" with eachother. Anyone on here think I'm bat-<crap> crazy risking it?

Also got myself a Coumbian Pumpkin Patch sling at the same show, so all in all a very good day for me.

Got my first T 18 months ago and my stable just keeps growing, you could say I've been bitten by the Bug.. ;)

Total collection to date:
Goliath Birdeater 6-7"
Salmon Pink Birdeater 8-9"
Antilles Pink Toe (Versicolor) .75"
GreenBottle Blue 1"
Columbian Pumpkin Patch .3"
2x Gooty Ornamentals 1.75-2and a bit"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Despite their tolerance, I'd seperate them if I were you, considering how much you (probably) paid for them.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was at that show and very nearly bought that pair myself (if it's the dealer I think it is). I decided to have a think about it and noticed they were gone when I looked again. To be fair, you've probably saved me a bit of grief from the wife. If I'd got them, she would have taken one look at them and shouted "HOW MUCH!!!"

I agree with Hobo. I'd also house them separately just to be on the safe side.

spmack

Arachnopeon
I was at that show and very nearly bought that pair myself (if it's the dealer I think it is). I decided to have a think about it and noticed they were gone when I looked again. To be fair, you've probably saved me a bit of grief from the wife. If I'd got them, she would have taken one look at them and shouted "HOW MUCH!!!"

I agree with Hobo. I'd also house them separately just to be on the safe side.
LOL, sorry about that mate. I know what you mean though. I left half elated at finding them and half in shock at what I'd just spent.. :eek:

I was only gonna buy one at first, but was persuaded by my friend to get both as they're so hard to get your hands on..

I was thinking house them seperately at first, but read a few people's stories online, even one about how they've had up to 5 or 6 in one habitat....

I'd be proper gutted if I came home and found my £200 investment had become 1 spider. I'm planning on letting them mature, and if it's a male & female maybe having a go at mating them. Or the more likely option is feed em for 6-12 months, keep the prettiest and punt the other one on for a tidy profit.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL, sorry about that mate. I know what you mean though. I left half elated at finding them and half in shock at what I'd just spent.. :eek:

I was only gonna buy one at first, but was persuaded by my friend to get both as they're so hard to get your hands on..

I was thinking house them seperately at first, but read a few people's stories online, even one about how they've had up to 5 or 6 in one habitat....

I'd be proper gutted if I came home and found my £200 investment had become 1 spider. I'm planning on letting them mature, and if it's a male & female maybe having a go at mating them. Or the more likely option is feed em for 6-12 months, keep the prettiest and punt the other one on for a tidy profit.
Ah, I think I know who you got them from now, and they weren't the ones I was interested in. I was looking at Michael Scheller's. He was selling slings for £50 each and had a guarenteed female juvie for £265 if I remember correctly.

spmack

Arachnopeon
Ah, I think I know who you got them from now, and they weren't the ones I was interested in. I was looking at Michael Scheller's. He was selling slings for £50 each and had a guarenteed female juvie for £265 if I remember correctly.
I saw those too, I think one was £225 and the other was £265. Absolutely stunning weren't they? They had a great stall actually. My friend had a wishlist of 4 different rare breeds we thought we wouldn't find, and he had all of them for sale
I got mine from the stall at the back on the right. Approx twice the size of Scheller's slings, which I only saw after I'd bought the 2 from the other guy. Almost bought some slings off of him aswell, to grow and sell on, but I'd already gone a few hundred quid over my intended budget for the day. I only intended on having a nose around & buy a new tank for my greenbottle. :eek:

One trader there, Stacey I think her name was on the table nearest the door, said I could get around a grand for the female when she's fully matured. Is that right, it seems a bit over optimistic to me?

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I doubt you'd get £1000 for an adult female, but you never know...hyper-inflation and all that lol. Most of the adult females I've seen have been between £300 and £500 max. That's still nuts as far as I'm concerned. I just couldn't justify spending that much on one T.

Good luck with yours.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats on the new additions.

I'm curious...how did the dealer confirm it as female if it's so small? Do you have their information and did they promise a refund if it turns out to be male?

spmack

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the new additions.

I'm curious...how did the dealer confirm it as female if it's so small? Do you have their information and did they promise a refund if it turns out to be male?
I'm a novice at this so I had to take his word for it, but he said that he could confirm one because it was so much bigger than the others he had and the colouration on her/it, but the other he wouldn't/couldn't sex. As I said I'm so far from an expert it's not even funny, but from what I've read about them online the colours and size are supposed to be a telltale sign.

I've just got home from work and she seems to have settled in a bit now and is roaming the tub. She's actually a bit bigger than I thought, because she was hunched before, she's over just over 2" in the traditional measuring method. When you shine a torch on her you can already see the blue with yellow markings.

No refund was offered or discussed, I kinda got carried away in the moment and was just happy to find some. 100% sure they're genuine metalicas though. ;)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I'm a novice at this so I had to take his word for it, but he said that he could confirm one because it was so much bigger than the others he had and the colouration on her/it, but the other he wouldn't/couldn't sex. As I said I'm so far from an expert it's not even funny, but from what I've read about them online the colours and size are supposed to be a telltale sign.

I've just got home from work and she seems to have settled in a bit now and is roaming the tub. She's actually a bit bigger than I thought, because she was hunched before, she's over just over 2" in the traditional measuring method. When you shine a torch on her you can already see the blue with yellow markings.

No refund was offered or discussed, I kinda got carried away in the moment and was just happy to find some. 100% sure they're genuine metalicas though. ;)
No on both counts, at that size.
I hope you didn't have to pay extra for that "female".

But, hey, you might get lucky and both end up being female! So where are the pics already?:p Some guys here are good at guessing their sex even at that size if you can get a decent ventral shot.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations on the nice finds. If you don't mind me asking though, what is a "colombian pumpkin patch"?

spmack

Arachnopeon
No on both counts, at that size.
I hope you didn't have to pay extra for that "female".

But, hey, you might get lucky and both end up being female! So where are the pics already?:p Some guys here are good at guessing their sex even at that size if you can get a decent ventral shot.
Oh dear, well they seemed like a knowledgable well respected pair, a father and son outfit I think (www.polyped.de). I paid the same price for both, so fingers crossed eh? :)

My friend's got a really good camera, so when she comes round in the week I'll hopefuly get some usefull pics.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Congratulations on the nice finds. If you don't mind me asking though, what is a "colombian pumpkin patch"?
What Londoner said.