Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Just got B. Dubia... pretty excited!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by miamc12321, Aug 15, 2018.

1. miamc12321

miamc12321 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Chewy and Bilbo are a bit big for mealworms. Compared to them it seems so small a meal. We were going to go to Petsmart tomorrow and grab some crickets, but everything about them just seemed blah. My husband hates the noises they make, and I'm not keen on them escaping and singing all night.

So, I got on Jamie's website and looked at feeders. The Dubias interested me. I know they can be evasive, but Chewy is one heck of an aggressive eater. They won't last long. Bilbo, Bean, and Tormund's can still be killed if need be. Not a worry. So we ordered some. Not a lot, but enough for trial. My biggest interest is they can be kept alive a lot longer than crickets... and they can breed well in captivity. Now, I've never done that before, and I'm curious how easy/hard this can be.

What is your experience with these critters? What kind of feeding responses have you gotten?

2. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

CA
    My A. geniculata and P. murinus ate them up no problem. In fact, the P. murinus burrowed after them when they attempted to escape. My P. subfusca however, didn't seem to take to them one bit. Other than that, I prekilled a few for some of my slings. It's a bit of a hit/miss overall for me.
    As to the breeding, there are a lot of guides that you can find, and it didn't seem too difficult to set up a colony, it's just about maintaining it. I think someone here recently lost most, if not an entire colony.:(
    If you only have the 4 tarantulas mentioned here though, setting up your own colony wouldn't be worth it imo. Their population explodes exponentially, so you would already have more than enough and then possibly have to contend with hundreds or thousands of excess.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. miamc12321

miamc12321 Arachnopeon

That's true. I do plan on getting a couple more teeny ones soon. Got my eye on a C. Versicolor and I want another B. Albo. Love the fuzzy! So it won't just be four in the long run, but I get what you're saying. We just got enough for trial for now. Still, they seem so much more appealing than crickets, but it's not up to me. It's up to the babies. Hope my little bitties like them.

4. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron

Crush their heads a little so they can't burrow and you're golden.

Feed them fruits and a protein source (I use crushed dog food or fish food), give them some stuff to hide in, and keep them in a warm area. Replace rotting fruit as needed and clean out the tank every month or so.

As for a colony exploding, I've kept mine at a very manageable number for a while by just keeping them at room temperature when I don't want them to multiply. When I need more, I just set them on my desk by the window where it gets warm (not in direct sunlight, mind you) and in the next couple days I have more babies.

Also, it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R for the nymphs to reach adulthood, so you probably don't even have to worry about them breeding any time soon, as I believe Jamie only sells nymphs. If you want a colony, I'd suggest getting adults.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince

NC
    I've had great results using B. Dubias for feeders. All of my Ts have readily ate them with no hassle including the ones that were raised on other feeders before I bought them.

I posted this a while back with info on the setup I use. Maybe it'll help some. Good luck.

Dubias not putting out babies

6. jrw159

jrw159 Arachnopeon

I have a small colony for my sons Savannah Monitor. They are pretty easy to maintain. All good advice in here so I can't add much on that. I have not fed any to my T yet as I think crickets are sufficient for now but will in the future.

One good thing about them is they can not live long outside of their environment so escapee's don't last long, 12 hours at most I think. Mine do not even try to get out. My son has walked off to do something and left the lid off and they didn't even care to leave.

jrw159

7. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince

I never understood why people crush the dog food before giving it to their roaches, I just feed the whole kibble and the nymphs swarm it. I also give any kind of fruit I have left over, I found that they like citrus more than anything else, they ate a whole lime last week which surprised me. As for the population exploding, nymphs take a long time to grow and if you keep the adults in the 70s they will hardly reproduce at all. I ended up sticking my colony in my garage during the spring to get their numbers up and now I have them in my attic which stays in the 90s. I almost managed to feed off a colont of 100 dubias back when I only had 3 spiders.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

I have a colony that I got in January and boy howdy do these things breed when given the right environment:wideyed: I went from 50 to a few hundred give or take, but I did get subadults which is why the colony exploded so quickly. Care is really easy, keep them warm if you want them to breed, provide some fruits/veggies, a source of protein, and some egg flats stacked vertically. My tarantulas like dubias for the most part, the only two that have refused them are my A. avicularia and G. porteri. The rest have no problem eating them. I’d say all in all they’re good feeders, though I would crush the heads a little so they don’t play dead. I do enjoy the fact that they don’t smell, they don’t make noise, and they live a lot longer than crickets. Also, they can’t climb smooth surfaces, so that’s a plus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jrw159

jrw159 Arachnopeon

I did not know this! Maybe that's why mine never even tried to escape when left open. Hmm.

jrw159

10. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

I have noticed, during years, that arboreals T's sometimes acts a bit choosy when it comes to B.dubia. A thing that, for instance, I have never noticed with the classic, chubby as heck, terrestrial NW T's nor with the obligate burrowers (no matter NW/OW) and 'pedes.

Mah :)

Aside this, no issues... B.dubia are great, easy to mantain, to breed etc

11. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Roaches are a waste of time for my Ts. They turn into footrests and roommates for the Ts.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. miamc12321

miamc12321 Arachnopeon

Thanks so much for all of the great advice, guys. I really appreciate all of it very much. They're on the way, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for telling me about the head thing. We will be doing that for sure.

13. Pernicious

Pernicious Arachnosquire

Usa
    Ive raised dubias and even madis for years for my monitors... all i have to say is if u do breed them for food. Make a three inch ring at the top of any tank u use with vasoline .even if u have a lid .the onlt way to 100% garuntee u keep em in there

14. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Fuk Da Meme Police

ABQ
    If my tarantulas and scorpions don’t eat dubias, they don’t eat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

I lost a quarter to half of my dubia crown phlorid fly invasion. Still not killed the fly’s but seeing less.
    Don’t let dubia cage to to wet or trouble like this could show up. Apple core drew in the fly’s I think .

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon

Too big for meal worms?

17. miamc12321

miamc12321 Arachnopeon

I'm still using them. They just seem so tiny compared my two bigger ones, though. Chewy can eat 3 at a time now, so wanted something a bit bigger to try. He ate a dubia just fine, so that's a plus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.