Just got an A. Seemanni

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got a grey seemanni from the pet store.. I have some questions.

1. What temp is suitable?

2. Humidity level?

3. Moist or dry substrate?

4. Other care tips i may have forgot

Also, this doesnt pertain specifically to my post but is it true that tarantulas die in direct sunlight? Or is it just some bologny some one made up to sound like they know what there talkin' about? I ask cause my terranium is by the window

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ill answer in reverse order.........
- yes direct sunlight will kill a T. It heats them up and cooks them in their own skin basically.
- for the substrate with mine i wet part of the tank and leave part dry to, the easiest way to do that is just over flow the water dish every now and then.
- humidity level dont worry about that to much, full water dish will give you what you need, with an every now and then overflow.
- and temps shoot for room temp, thats what I do. They will do just fine in the house temp that you are comfortable in. below 60 for long periods should be avoided and above 85 for long periods as well should be avoided.

Hope this helps some. (side note) I have had a few like liked it a bit moister then some of the others. But its easier to start to dry then to start to wet.
I am sure I missed something so others will chime in soon.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info...Also, is there a way to determine if the spider has reached its ultimate molt cause its a boring grey color...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well if thats a male and its his ultimate molt then he should have hooks that are very easily seen on this species. You should post a picture. Maybe its not what you think it is.... that happens all the time at pet stores.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im pretty sure its a seemanni cause i researched it prior to buying it. Where are the male hooks at, what do they look like?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im pretty sure its a seemanni cause i researched it prior to buying it. Where are the male hooks at, what do they look like?
oh crap maybe they dont have hooks..... I thought they did...... :wall: :wall:
Someone else has to know. I just looked in the gallery pics and I cant find any with hooks showing......
No no they have to have hooks....... I am losing my mind, someone else answer the man lol.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hooks will be on front legs. also pet store seemani look grayish a lot of the time and you can barely distinguish the leg striping. but mine molted out a beautiful black high glossy sheen. and is still a beautiful bug ...except for the bare butt lol

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
except for the bare butt lol
Oh I understand you there, the one I have had since sling she loves to kick even when I am just coming in the room. Shes a spaz.
(phew) i thought there were hooks. But the gallery pics would not show any good shot of one, I have never seen a mature male for this species in real life.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh I understand you there, the one I have had since sling she loves to kick even when I am just coming in the room. Shes a spaz.
(phew) i thought there were hooks. But the gallery pics would not show any good shot of one, I have never seen a mature male for this species in real life.
I could be wrong but i am pretty sure that ALL aphonopelma have tibial hooks on the male

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Isnt adult size about 4 to 5 inches? Is there a way i can determine if its had its ultimate molt? Pics are coming.....

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yours is not mature yet give it another molt or 2 yes they have hooks on the first pair of legs. only when mature.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can tell just my pics? How do you know for sure? I already love this thing!! He is always out and about exploring, giving threat displays for dumb things like me filling the water dish haha... I caught a hair on the neck, its nothing bad. No worse than a mosquito bite... Also, what is this species growth rate?

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hes not mature yet, and I suspect hes a he because of hes color or lack there of, but a ventral picture will make it easier to tell.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He/She has been hovering over the water dish all day, doesnt that mean humidity is low? I sprayed the tank and restricted airflow though... hmmmmm

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Restricting air flow in just about every case is not needed. With you T just over flow the water dish every now and then, maybe pour some water in the corners of the tank......

To much humidity can do just as much harm as not enough.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the help. Also, how long between molts? What should i do to help the molt? Should i increase humidity or something?

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
no one can tell you that - aphonopelma are a bunch of slow growing species, so it can take months or even more than a year before a subadult molts again. signs of an impending molt are: not eating, acting (more) skittish (than usual), retreating/burrowing and a dark coloration of the abdomen (especially good to see on a bald butt ;))

if you keep part of the substrate moist and the t has a full water dish at all times, there is nothing you need to do - ts know best how to molt without help.

and yes, diect sunlight through a window can kill a t - especially when it's in a glass or plastic tank. the tank heats up and the t cannot leave it to cool down, so it's cooked alive.