Just got a scorpion need some help

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You may see some small difference in lifespan with species that have a different number of molts per sex (as is the case in with many Buthids), but in others where this is not the case (Pandinus, Heterometrus, etc.) males and females will have virtually identical life spans.

antsman

Arachnosquire
deep moist substrate, water dish, no heat pads or lamps, hide. temps 70+, feeding couple times a week. and yeah, find that superworm.
I've been misting it down once a day to keep it humid. He seem to like to stay in his hide. I put a Superworm in the entrance of his hide and I believe he took it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've been misting it down once a day to keep it humid. He seem to like to stay in his hide. I put a Superworm in the entrance of his hide and I believe he took it.
yeah, my 14 Heterometrus like to hide all day too haha. most threads go a bit off topic, but we try to at least talk about the same thing. i wouldnt bother misting, just pour water into the substrate. its a much more effective and long term way of increasing humidity. heres a couple pics of my more tropical species setups. P cavimanus and H cf spinifer (possibly petersii)

Attachments

antsman

Arachnosquire
yeah, my 14 Heterometrus like to hide all day too haha. most threads go a bit off topic, but we try to at least talk about the same thing. i wouldnt bother misting, just pour water into the substrate. its a much more effective and long term way of increasing humidity. heres a couple pics of my more tropical species setups. P cavimanus and H cf spinifer (possibly petersii)
I got him setup in a new enclosure 4-5" moist substrate, a nice large shallow water dish. I have a hide made out of stone this time to avoid the mold problem I had with the wood. I used jungle earth and forest bark to hold the moisture a little better.
I've been watching them on youtube, and they seem to attack their pray with a vengeance. Mine seems to be avoiding superworms. I put one in his claw and he crushed it and walked away, I left it in the enclosure overnight and he didn't touche it.

antsman

Arachnosquire
It looks to be a Heterometrus petersii, and a male, judging by the enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chela. The best way to get a look at the pectines is to put them in a clear container with a tight fitting lid. Once the scorpion is in the container, take some cloth, and gently pack it over the scorpion so that it's snug on the bottom of the container. Then put the lid on to secure the cloth and scorpion in place, and flip the container upside down. The pectines should be easily visible.
I got a good look at the pectines and they were very large. I compared to pictures on google and you are correct he is a male.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If you did not actually see it take the superworm it probably burrowed into the substrate. You should not let them do that. Crush the heads before you offer mealworms/superworms.

antsman

Arachnosquire
If you did not actually see it take the superworm it probably burrowed into the substrate. You should not let them do that. Crush the heads before you offer mealworms/superworms.
He has since been moved to a new enclosure, I searched the old substrate and never found the super worm so I'm assuming he ate it.
He hasn't eaten since. Not much of a response to food either. He hasn't eaten in 2 weeks, maybe he is getting ready to molt?
Dad told me he was in a tank with 12 others, with only one hide so maybe he is going to take a while to get used to his new home.

antsman

Arachnosquire
He is doing really good now, he has eaten a few times and is really active. He hissed at me a few times while feeding, I wasn't expecting it to be so loud.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I too have an AFS with a heat pad on the side of the tank. She typically spends time leaning on the glass by it or the closest hiding place to it. The preference is very strong. She also comes out or snaps at the water when you spray mist on her once a day.

The overall temperature is 80 degrees & I try to keep humidity between 60-80 % unless I'm airing out the cage, substrate changed once a week too.

antsman

Arachnosquire
I been reading and it says to clean the enclosure every few months, or if mold and pests are a problem as needed.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I have went with 4" or 5" inches deep of organic potting soil mix. I water from the bottom up thru a tube, works great. The top stays some what dry while the humidity comes up from the bottom.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I too have an AFS with a heat pad on the side of the tank. She typically spends time leaning on the glass by it or the closest hiding place to it. The preference is very strong. She also comes out or snaps at the water when you spray mist on her once a day.

The overall temperature is 80 degrees & I try to keep humidity between 60-80 % unless I'm airing out the cage, substrate changed once a week too.
Substrate changed once a week? Not good at all.
Misting on top of the scorpion itself? Not good at all.

Substrate does not need to be changed unless there is an issue with mold/mites/etc. And they never want to be sprayed directly.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Agreed with @darkness975 I use to spray mine and he would go absolutely nuts BUT I notice if you use warm water it's way less calm when misting