Just got a scorpion need some help

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
What do you recommend for depth of sub and height of enclosure?
About 2-3". Not many dry scorps need much burrowing space, and flat rocks are lithophilic. They usually live under or between slate and rocks. Don't need to burrow at all, prefer narrow spaces to squeeze into.

Sorry if I am highjacking this thread, not my intention :)

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, Heterometrus species. If you can post clear pictures of the chela, carapace, 5th metasomal segment, and pectines, I can ID it for you

antsman

Arachnosquire
I plan on getting the large Exo Terra enclosure and some Exo terra plantation soil bricks and coconut husk brick. With a bit of sand mixed in. It was such a surprise I don't have anything on hand so ordering a bunch of new stuff next week.
Temp is currently 70C - 80C, I've been lightly misting the enclosure. Since I've moved her/him it has stayed in its hide.
I'm getting a little lost in the posts, some seem to have gone off topic.

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

antsman

Arachnosquire
Yes, Heterometrus species. If you can post clear pictures of the chela, carapace, 5th metasomal segment, and pectines, I can ID it for you
I will get them for you when I move it to its forever home. What is the best way to handle them to get the picture of the pectines.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Venom1080 @BobBarley @DrowsyLids @antsman @SuleymanC

The heat mat concept is overall the same as with Tarantulas from what I have read and seen over the years.
None of my inverts require super high temperatures and the ambient room temperature is sufficient for them (if not slightly on the cooler side for the P. imperators I have).

Lower temperatures do affect some of their metabolisms, but not all of them.

My H. arizonensis spp. and Smeringurus Mesaensis specimens show no alteration of their activity despite them being in the high 60s / low 70s in the dead of winter.
I do notice that these temperatures trigger the Diapause period for H. arizonensis. They disappear in late October/Early November and I see no sign of life at all until March/April the following spring. From what I have read from different sources this is a normal activity for wild specimens. A lot of keepers keep them 24/7/365 in 85 degree days and 75 degree nights so that likely affects the trigger to enter Diapause.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I plan on getting the large Exo Terra enclosure and some Exo terra plantation soil bricks and coconut husk brick. With a bit of sand mixed in. It was such a surprise I don't have anything on hand so ordering a bunch of new stuff next week.
Temp is currently 70C - 80C, I've been lightly misting the enclosure. Since I've moved her/him it has stayed in its hide.
I'm getting a little lost in the posts, some seem to have gone off topic.

View attachment 232047

View attachment 232049

View attachment 232048

View attachment 232050
Your enclosure needs a bigger water dish. Also, Heterometrus spp. require several inches of moist substrate within which to burrow.

Exo Terras are not the best for this species as you cannot add sufficient substrate depth for burrowing.

antsman

Arachnosquire
Your enclosure needs a bigger water dish. Also, Heterometrus spp. require several inches of moist substrate within which to burrow.

Exo Terras are not the best for this species as you cannot add sufficient substrate depth for burrowing.

I don't currently have anymore substrate, It's on order and I'm looking into a 10-25g fish tank. What size water dish do you suggest?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What size water dish do you suggest?
I used to buy the fancy looking reptile rock dishes that cost $9.99 and what not but now I use those relatively flat plastic petri dish type bottoms that you use for plants so the water doesn't leak from their pots. You can get those for like $.50 each. They are low enough that it can climb out if it climbs in but still reasonably sized so that you can give it a good amount of water.

I would go with the smaller size ones. Not sure of the exact diameters but you will see them on the shelf. Bury it 3/4 into the substrate.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/6-Clear-Sa..._clickID=8a69867e-2024-4276-b820-2d982975fc2d

antsman

Arachnosquire
I used to buy the fancy looking reptile rock dishes that cost $9.99 and what not but now I use those relatively flat plastic petri dish type bottoms that you use for plants so the water doesn't leak from their pots. You can get those for like $.50 each. They are low enough that it can climb out if it climbs in but still reasonably sized so that you can give it a good amount of water.

I would go with the smaller size ones. Not sure of the exact diameters but you will see them on the shelf. Bury it 3/4 into the substrate.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/6-Clear-Sa..._clickID=8a69867e-2024-4276-b820-2d982975fc2d
I just put a petri dish bottom in, 4" diameter 1/2" deep. I think I'll keep it in this container as it seems fine, just ordered some more substrate and coconut husk. And a spray bottle.

Last edited:

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will get them for you when I move it to its forever home. What is the best way to handle them to get the picture of the pectines.
It looks to be a Heterometrus petersii, and a male, judging by the enlarged tooth on the movable finger of the chela. The best way to get a look at the pectines is to put them in a clear container with a tight fitting lid. Once the scorpion is in the container, take some cloth, and gently pack it over the scorpion so that it's snug on the bottom of the container. Then put the lid on to secure the cloth and scorpion in place, and flip the container upside down. The pectines should be easily visible.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The sex of the specimen does not affect the care of it at all. The sex is mostly for keeper curiosity and breeding purposes for those who wish to breed them.

antsman

Arachnosquire
I got a spray bottle and more substrate is on the way, along with some other goodies.
Soon as I misted his enclosure he came right out, and I'm not sure if I should have but I misted him as well and he seemed to like it.

antsman

Arachnosquire
The sex of the specimen does not affect the care of it at all. The sex is mostly for keeper curiosity and breeding purposes for those who wish to breed them.
I wanted to know for naming him mostly, and to get a rough idea of his lifespan, females live quite a bit longer correct?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I think that scorpions are a little different from tarantulas. Where male T's will live for 4-6 years while the female may live for 15-20, I think male scorps are only years off from the female's life span. Not sure, but I know that most scorps don't die soon after maturing :) Like the name btw :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Generally there is not much noticeable difference in life span between male and female Scorpions. Unlike Tarantulas which have a very noticeable difference in life spans.