Just got a new sling t blondi and not a lot of experience

Sam1986

Arachnopeon
Hey Everybody-
First off I just want to say I am new and this site is pretty sweet a lot of good info for sure. I just got a new t blondi from Ken the bug guy and I have zero tarantula experience. I have done some extensive research on the t blondi and selected it due to it's massive size (a spider that is able to eat a mouse how amazing is that) plus I think tarantulas are pretty fascinating creatures. Anyways the t I got is about 1 inch right now (had him/her for three days). I got a 20g long tank and then realized once the t got here that it was way too big so have it in a small kritter keeper inside the 20 (which is all set up and looks really cool) since the temp and humidity is right. I bought top soil from walmart and mixed in shphagnum moss and have 4 live plants and a big rock it can hide under once it gets big enough to live in the 20. The kritter keeper is the same minus big rock although he has small piece of wood to hide under and some water. I also have a plant light to keep the plants alive and the temp up. I feed it everyday some pinhead crickets and he wolfs em down. Temp is about 75 with 70-80 % humidity. The point of all this is to get your opinion and see how you think of it so far and if I am missing anything or should do something different. The light goes off at night of course. He is small and I have they are hard to keep so it makes me nervous since I don't have any experience with Tarantulas other than what I have read. Any tips or advice on what I might be doing wrong or maybe not doing at all would be really appreciated. Thanks.

zbrewer88

Arachnopeon
I don't have a T. blondi, but I have a 4" T. stirmi. From what I understand true T. blondis are pretty hard to come by, but if you got it from Ken I'm sure it's legit. As far as your setup it sounds good. The only thing I would change is take the light away. I know you say you shut it off at night, but tarantulas dislike the light no matter what time it is. Also, yes a T. blondi can eat a mouse, not only is it not necessary to feed it a mouse, but I have read that it can cause potential molt problems because of the calcium. Many fellow members frown upon feeding mice, but do as you wish it's your spider is my view on the subject. Just keep the temp and humidity up and your spider will be happy. Also pics are always good to give a better idea of what you're trying to describe.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1st congrats, you have made one hell of a purchase, now please dont mess it up! :)

First and foremost: Delete the word "mouse" from your vocabulary if you want to succes with your T blondi. Do not feed vertebrate prey, you will do the T a favor.

Put her into a small cointainer. Something 5" by 5" at the most.
Make lots of holes (small) and put about 2" of substrate really moist.

Add a very small dish (soda cup ) and keep it full and clean.

Raise the temps at least around 83-85F and feed her quite often. you want her to molt fast till she gets to be 3 or 4" where she will be way less fragile.

Clean the enclosure daily, mites will show up in a matter of hours if you dont remove the bolus.
;)

zbrewer88

Arachnopeon
^^^^Do what he says and everything will be fine. Fran has a lot of very knowledgeable posts and threads on this forum about Theraphosa sp., and is where I've received about 99.9% of my info. If you have any further questions about your T. blondi search for it and I bet it has already been answered.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
I would not use walmart soil I would get coco fiber substrate. It's steril noting lives in it. It will help control the mites i made that mistake it got bad fast. U wouldn't believe how many little bugs live in organic potting soil. Plus u don't know if the generic soil u got has pesticides in it already don't take the chance

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Congrats..I so want a T blondi!!!...But Im worried about the hairs...I figure I start off with a LP first which I bought....Im wondering how they compare in uricating hairs?...Fran?...

losct2381

Arachnosquire
But wow what a pick for ur first t. U jumped inthe deep end Do alot of research and get the tarantula keepers guide and read it all ull be fine. But got to lol a 20 gal tank for a 1 inch sling lol.

zbrewer88

Arachnopeon
Urticating Hairs

I think the Theraphosa sp. have worse urticating hairs than L. parabyhana. My T. stirmi is more prone to kick when I open it's enclosure vs. my L. parabyhana who only sometimes kick to distubances, but each spider is different this is just my experience.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the kind words :).

Well, depends on the individual. Theraphosa has among the worst urticating hairs (type IV, the main "itch" I believe ) .For me is really really bad, but as long as you dont bother them, you should be fine.

Parahybana is QUITE itchy too! Just dont toouch the substrate with your bare hands, and if they kick, get out of there for a couple of minutes :).

Sam1986

Arachnopeon
Hey thanks for the all the replies...I will take the light out or at least cut it way back but I want some heat as from what I have read temp and humidity are very important and without it the tank stays in like the upper 60's which I feel is kind of cold but maybe not. Tried a heating pad but it did not really heat at all it sucked. Yeah Iread that feeding them mice all the time was bad I just brought that up because when I was looking to see what kind of tarantula I wanted I saw that and thought it was amazing a spider could actually do that. What if Itookthe top soil out and baked it? I rinsed the live plants off really good before I put them in there so they should be good I guess. Hey what do you think ofthose lightless ceramic heaters the one that look like light bulb but aren't ya know? Anyways I will certaintly do everything Ican to make sure he/she makes (no idea howtotell sex) it and grows into a big healthy t blondi.

zbrewer88

Arachnopeon
For heat I use a small space heater with a thermostat and I keep my T room 80-85 degrees. I don't see a problem using a ceramic bulb to heat just don't cook your T because I think those can get pretty hot.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Zoomed make a thermostat that u can use to control the heat. What's nice about it is that u can set it for actual temp not just low med or high it works hood I use to use it befor I had a t room

Sam1986

Arachnopeon
Those are good ideas for heat I will look into them. Unfortunately I cannot have a whole room for my t and my wife hates sleeping in a hot room but I will get it figured out. Checked on the t this morning and it was doing good. Do you think it would be ok tom leave the light on for a few hours a day for the plants? If so I will just let them die. I have taken the light out and am going to get a ceramic heat bulb but if I can keep the plants going that would be cool.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you own the tarantula keepers guide. It is the bible of the tarantula world. Also if you want plants look up what kind will live with tarantulas. I also got a t blondi female as a first tarantula. But it turned out to be t stirmi male:wall: . o well I love the BIG guy. (about 10 inches). Do your research, don't mess with it too much, keep humidity and temps up, and whatever you do don't get haired.(already happened to me twice today. Getting it out of its feed ing tub, ungrateful spider:rolleyes: and when I was showing it to my grandma.)

Sam1986

Arachnopeon
No I don't but I keep hearing about it I will look into getting it. Okay here is a question that has probably been asked like a million times but how do you tell the sex? I keep calling the t "it" it would be nice to have a gender...

losct2381

Arachnosquire
There really only one sure way. Wait for a molt if it's a slin or smaller than 3 ull need a microscope. And then ur look in between the first set of book lungs closet to the carapace. now ur looking for a flap it's called the spemathecae if it has that it's a female. If it's just smooth it's a male

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Parahybana is QUITE itchy too! Just dont toouch the substrate with your bare hands, and if they kick, get out of there for a couple of minutes :).
Hehe, I still remember my first oops with my L.P, lets just say I wear gloves and safety glasses, and thats all i need to say. :wall:

And to the OP, grats on the T.blondi. I think the best part is watching that little tike grow into the brown beastie that they become.