Just got a new one!!! Whouuu Houuuu!!!

paradisiak

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I just want to tell that I got a new scorp. Its a Tri-Color (Opistophtalmus).

Today I was playing with her (with a stick) and to my suprise she start to make some noise, she was hissing. So I start a research on the net to learn more about that and I found on a web site that most of the Opistophtalmus can make that hissing sound.

I would like to know if some of you guys or girls have experienced this kind of situation. I must admit the first time she start to hissed I was really suprised, almost scared;) .

In 5-6 days I should receive my Black Fat Tail

Thanks for sharing your experienced!!!

PaRaDiSiaK

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Uh...I dunno...am I alone in this, or what?

I'm kinda' concerned that you'd want to "play" with your scorp, especially with a Black Fat Tail on the way.

:? :?

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well you dont want to find out that your black fat tail can spray venom in youre face within a metre distance.Or that your deathly allergic! :?

I suggest that you do some hard , long
research about these scorps. Not only for their health, but yours also.

I own a couple scorps but nothing past 3 on a five scale of poisoness. I guess i value my life and my girlfriend to much and don`t trust my lack of knowledge.

Anyways Dont
make your Scorp hiss! it`s not nice. How would you like it

paradisiak

Arachnopeon
To chau0046,

For the spitting scorp, I think your are confusing a Black Fat Tail (androctonus bicolor) with a Black Spitting Thicktail (Parabuthus transvaalicus).

When I "play" with my scorp, I keep them in their tank, as for my Tri-Color I was evaluating is level of aggresiveness and to my suprise, it is less aggressive than my huge femele Emp. My Tri-Color didn't even try to sting the stick.

Concerning my Black Fat Tail, i'm not going to "play" with him because I know that this species as to be threat with a lot of respect and there no place for mistakes. I'm not stupid!!!

Finaly, I must admit that I shouldn't use the word "play".

PaRaDiSiaK

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The hissing is common, mostly among Opistophthalmus glabifrons when angered, though it has it's occurance in others as well. In other species, it is usually not as loud. Definitely lose the word "play" in this instance, you had a few people worried at only the mention of it. It also stresses the scorpion, so it's not a healthy thing for them, though it may seem aweful inviting for you because of entertainment purposes.

adios,
edw. :D Good luck!

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to have to think about this a little more, but it seems like some people here are being a little bit silly.

Like most scorp keepers I choose to imitate my pet's natural habitat in order to observe their natural behavior. But that's what I choose to do with my animals. It's still messing with them in a way because I am attempting to trick my pets. Remember, these are not mammals. They do not have apperception (that is, awareness that they perceive things). They are not aware that they exist in the same sense we do. Words like "stress" are used with relation to strictly biological processes. Stress in scorp terms is the perpetual triggering of the fight or flight response over a period of time. Yes, it will shorten their life, but it really isn't a moral issue. We feed live crickets that are equally as aware (or unaware) of their existence, and it doesn't bother us that we have taken both creatures out of their natural environment in order to entertain (on some level or another) ourselves.

I must admit that I begin to recognize personalities in my scorps, but I intellectually know that what I perceive as personality is simply a pattern of activation preset by experience and chemical wiring. And I get sad when one of my pets dies of old age, but again, the scorp really had no idea it was dying--or that it even could die.

Again, I'll have to think about this more, but it occurs to me that to reprimand someone for playing with his or her inverts (even though I read the post about the playing clarification!) is a little presumptuous. When I get around to keeping a P. trans I am going to attempt to illicit the spray response for a video camera so that it's documented and in circulation online. If I achieve that response by creating an inhospitable environment for the animal would I be accused of being mean?

Chris

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I think the only disturbing part is that someone who didn't even realize that Opistophtalmus could hiss is going to be getting an Androctonus. On the other hand, I know that I have a lot of experience yet there are probably things that I don't realize that other people take for granted. I also know of a few people who have been at this only a little while yet seem to aquire anything and everything with little concern for their knowledge or experience.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to clear up my name, i didn`t reply to this message to put anybody down, just wanted to let other people who check these forums not to get the wrong idea. I guess i just respect them enough to stick up for others that aren`t even in my care. I shouldn`t jump to conclusions.But ,You never reallllly know if the scorp is the one that you think is ,unlees you let some experts view it online.

I`m mean who really knows if my C. Gracilis are from florida? i don`t ,Do you? And i keep well away from their stingers `cause i also dont know if i`m allergic.
There also faster than i coud`have ever imagined. I`ve seen my gravid female boot-it so fast to the other side of her cage ,That i wasn`t sure if she escaped or not ,untill i seen her under the bark.

As for hissing, My emps hiss a little bit. not very loud.but a little bit.

I also beleive that researching stuff like catching its venon in spray action is ok if it`s for the sake of knowledge.But if you do stuff like that often i dont think youre scorp would be very happy or healthy.

=D :} =D
Sendin smiles,
Mat

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with everyone here entirely when it comes to venomous scorps. And you are right, Chau, you never know what you've got. I guess I was just making the arguement that we can't really pass judgement on someone just because they treat their scorps differently--expect, of course, the venomous ones, since one accidental envenomation and the hobby requires permits!

Peace,
Chris

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
about Parabuthus spitting...

I have seen the repeated watch out your Parabuthus will spit warnings more times than I can remember and strangely at the same time have yet to speak to anyone who has one that they have actually seen spit. I have had them for quite some time and despite having them very upset and trying to sting anything in site have yet to see any spitting action from them. Personally if anyone does ever catch this on tape or find a link to it I would love to see it as they are very uninclined to do so. I certainly believe that they can do it but would love to actually see it happen.

Phil

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Baphomet has witnessed spraying. You can read about it here.

Steve55 has seen a show that had a video clip of it.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I saw a pic of a P.transvaalicus in mid spray somewhere and for the life of me I can't remember where.

John
];')

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh yes indeedy I have seen an actual P.transvaalicus "spray". Follow the link Dave mentioned.

I will say this...although it was cool, so to say, it was also spooky enough that I wouldn't really want to try to get one to do it again.

I have been speaking to a freind of mine in Colchester (Britain) who has a video of a P.transvaalicus in action, so to say, that he copied from a National Geographic television special on arachnids.

He is going to send me a copy, and I will convert it to MPEG...I will e-mail it to those so interested. (Sorry, I can't post it here on the boards due to copyright issues.)

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Baphomet,

You know I'm interested. I actualy wonder if there is a certain percentage of a show that can be legitimately copied, as is the case with books etc.

Cheers,
Dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Baphomet

I would love a copy when you get it as I have been wondering how the spray looks for quite some time and have never managed to find any footage or get them to do it myself. Until you get it I guess I'll have to keep trying to annoy mine enough to do it. :)

Phil

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would definitely like to see the video footage because I could swear I saw something of the sort quite some time back on the discovery channel (I'm talking a few years back!). It also may have been a commercial for Nat'l Geographic though. I just can't remember for the life of me and would much rather just prove it exists to those who ask.

adios,
edw. =D You can count me in!

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
XOskeletonRED, skinheaddave, Kugellager...

You don't really think I'd forget about you guys when I get this thing ready did ya'? :)

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
also know of a few people who have been at this only a little while yet seem to aquire anything and everything with little concern for their knowledge or experience.
this is something that has been bugging me for a while. almost every time i am at a reptile show of some kind place where they sell inverts. i hear people takling and i see poeple who have NO knowledge of scorpions walking away with a nice adult Leiurus to keep for a "pet" i've listened to vendors give the only warning "don't get hit by that one" wtf??? i see the same gross disrespect for venomous snakes where they are legal to sell.
i really also don't agree with the sale of any crocodilian species in captivity unless that person has a few acres of land. i have had numerous rescure crocs, and gators at my house until they could find a proper home and you wouldn't believe the stories behind them. look at the kingsnake photo galllery and look at the ammount of people who own a baby niloticus (nile crocodile).
people are under the illusion that there are lots of loving homes that will take their pet croc when it gets too big.
sorry if this offends anyone, i needed to get that out!!!!!!!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Craig,

I agree wholeheartedly. The problem is balance. I still want to be able to get a croc if I want to. Legislation tends to be too clumsy to either prevent me from getting one or making a distinction between me and Joe Schmoe. You can't rely on the discression of the pet store owner because they have to make a profit and if they turn you down the next guy probably won't. I just wish that fewer people were trying to dump agressive monitors on me and more people started trying to dump scorpions. ;)

Cheers,
Dave