Just got a new Cameroon Red (H. Gigas)

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum, and I must say, I am absolutely thrilled. I just purchased my first tarantula since my goliath some 5 years back. I got an unsexed cameroon red for 15 bucks. It's about 2.5 to 3 inches spread out, but good lord is it defensive. It makes my birdeater look tame.
It was basically down between this guy and an usambara at another shop, but considering the usambara orange was 10 bucks more, and about 1 cm long, I opted for the more robust and cheaper cameroon red.
Sadlly, I dont have any pics yet, but any of you folks have experience with these guys? Comments, suggestions, tips, etc.

Take care everyone, and thanks in advance for any input. Cheers.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Your " red " probably just needs to make a burrow, and it will lighten up. How much substrate do you have in its tank ?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He's in a 10 gallon right now with about 4.5 inches of substrate on the shallow end, and 6 on the deep end, along with big hunks of bark. As of now he's just been up in the corner of the cage on the glass, kind of concerend with that, hopefully hell come on down soon and dig.
I'm more than likely going to put him in my 5.5 gallon "spider" tank and make it a bit deeper.

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A 10 gallon tank is too large for a T that small. You are better off with the smaller one you suggested. Try to put about 6 inches of substrate through out the whole thing. What are you using for substrate ?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's a fine mulch of "rainforest" type soil, I think it's a mix of small bits of bark and maybe coconut fiber. Retains moisture decently. I had a spare bag.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A 10 gallon tank is too large for a T that small. You are better off with the smaller one you suggested.
Although this does make sense somewhat and use to go by it but now I dont believe it. I believe a 2.5-3" T can fit in a 10 gallon. In nature space is unlimited and yet they find their food. I think if you already have it set up leave it be. Stick two or three crickets in at a time and the T will find it in 24 hrs. I use to keep a rosie in a 40 gal.(was just experimenting) It lived fine in there for months till I got a bearded dragon, then she was moved to something smaller.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i bought mine about 2 years ago, she was also about 3 inches or so. i put her in a ten gallon tank and she went to work and dug a tunnel from one end to the other. she has done very well, is about 6 or so inches now. only complaint i have is i seldom see her, she stays in her burrow for the most part. but ive never had a problem with her finding her food. as far as attitude, i changed the soil in her tank about a week ago and all i can say is it was interesting trying to get her out. i wouldnt atempt to pick her up by hand. i used a wooden spoon to back her into a jar and she nailed it hard a few times.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Although this does make sense somewhat and use to go by it but now I dont believe it. I believe a 2.5-3" T can fit in a 10 gallon. In nature space is unlimited and yet they find their food. I think if you already have it set up leave it be. Stick two or three crickets in at a time and the T will find it in 24 hrs. I use to keep a rosie in a 40 gal.(was just experimenting) It lived fine in there for months till I got a bearded dragon, then she was moved to something smaller.
i totally agree. i keep most of my T's in 10 gal. tanks. they do just fine. especially with a spider like the h.gigas that are elaborate burrowers. mine has made a very intricate tunnel system through the whole tank.