Just got a birdeater :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Ordered one the other day comes at 10:30 this morning. I bought a 15 gallon terrarium to house it in. Supposed to be a female, but who knows? I put in three bricks of coconut substrate with a big half log and big water dish. This is the burgundy version, which is supposed to be slightly easier to care for???? I have two pink toes and two rose hairs in my collection so far. I am planning on keeping a room heater in my spider room to keep it the right temperature. Should b okay ffor all ththe spiders I think. Anyway, I will post pics when I get it.

cold blood

Staff member
Good luck. Nothing you currently have will prepare you for a Theraposa. Their care is quite specific, def. not a beginner genus.

So its an adult? I just hope you didn't order from blackwater, but my spidey senses are tingling.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good luck. Nothing you currently have will prepare you for a Theraposa. Their care is quite specific, def. not a beginner genus.

So its an adult? I just hope you didn't order from blackwater, but my spidey senses are tingling.
You think we should warn him about the hairs...?

Nah, me neither :D

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ordered one the other day comes at 10:30 this morning. I bought a 15 gallon terrarium to house it in. Supposed to be a female, but who knows? I put in three bricks of coconut substrate with a big half log and big water dish. This is the burgundy version, which is supposed to be slightly easier to care for???? I have two pink toes and two rose hairs in my collection so far. I am planning on keeping a room heater in my spider room to keep it the right temperature. Should b okay ffor all ththe spiders I think. Anyway, I will post pics when I get it.

Which species did you get exactly?

I don't see it in your original post and "birdeater" doesn't help.

Nevermind

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
I would like to purchase a salmon pink birdeater adult as my first t; yes I understand it's a theraphosa, but I love that genus and would like a stirmi as well. Does anyone think (with a lot of research under my belt, and the added experience of keeping true spiders) do you guys know if I'd survive it?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would like to purchase a salmon pink birdeater adult as my first t; yes I understand it's a theraphosa, but I love that genus and would like a stirmi as well. Does anyone think (with a lot of research under my belt, and the added experience of keeping true spiders) do you guys know if I'd survive it?
You would survive, maybe not the T. You should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's if you want this question to get more attention.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have no doubt that you will survive, but the tarantula is a different story.

_scorpio_

Arachnopeon
Id start with the research bit, a "salmon pink" is a Lasiodora parahybana and wouldnt go too great if you kept it the same as a T. stirmi. LPs are childs play compared to a Theraposa really, i find mine are pretty much big G. rosea but a little more likely to get upset at you if you do something stupid.
OP, you are probably not ready, but if you have bought a large T. stirmi you will probably get an idea of why we are saying this when you put it into (or somewhere near) its new home.
Edit - This doesnt mean we wont help and advise on anything you need to learn to keep the stirmi alive, despite the fact everyone is quick to jump all over the idea. The harsh reaction is due to a lot of new keepers going for the popular advanced species such as the Theraposas and Old world species thinking they will be similar in care to the beginner species they already own. I say this from having done this myself in the past and finding that no matter how fast you learn you cant learn the experience needed to deal with them.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Nope, you're dead wrong, wherever you are getting your species info, stop looking there...Lasiodora and Theraposa are vastly different species. Care isn't even close to the same and, well, the Lasiodora won't get nearly as large either.

It was the first thing that came up when i saw the word "birdeater"
Ahhhh, birdeater:banghead::banghead: One of the stupidest, most vague terms in the hobby as it refers to basically 100's of species....I wish the term would just go away...like DKS.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would like to pue a salmon pink birdeater adult as my first t; yes I understand it's a theraphosa, but I love that genus and would like a stirmi as well. Does anyone think (with a lot of research under my belt, and the added experience of keeping true spiders) do you guys know if I'd survive it?
I actually thought you were either being very sarcastic, or trying to be funny...but you're serious?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I ran home at lunch and put it in the terrarium I had made up. Had it delivered to a friend who brought it t o my house at lunch. Looks pretty healthy and scouted out the surroundings as soon as I put it in. Of course I know about the hairs and such lol. I'm keeping a room heater in there that will regulate the temperature and plan to water the substrate and mist to keep the right amount of moisture in the tank. I also know to watch for molds from the moisture. I'm going to be careful and take as good of care of it as possible.