Just got 2 H.Columbia LG slings. Friendly advice?

lok444

Arachnopeon
I finally took the leap and got my first to slings. I named them Oogie and Boogie. While putting them in their enclosures one of them detour onto my hand before going home. It has been travelling around the enclosure nonstop shaking its little spinnerets, on the top across the sides poking its leg in the vent holes lol. They are ADORABLE little beasties! The other is super chill probably scared from the trip, got to keep an eye on it as it hasn't moved very much??? Anyway I digress. Here are the enclosure pre adding the babies and post. Is that too much moisture is it not enough? Should I have anything else? Take anything out?

Attachments

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
you have juvies, not slings...this species are barely visible as slings....soooo tiny they look more like specks of dust

I would house them in smaller enclosures, but otherwise things look just fine.

lok444

Arachnopeon
I apologize for misspeaking. Thank so much for responding. They are super cute. I can't wait to see if one of them is a girl :) I know this species are shorter lived than other species and i would like for them to be part of my family for as long as possible. I will adore them either way. Will keeping them where they are be of any danger to them please?

Hi
as long as you can tell if the spider is finding its food it most likely will be ok.
It easier to keep an eye on smaller spiders in smaller enclosures.Its easier for your spider to find its food in smaller enclosures (they are ambush predators and pray needs to go near them.There are few exeptions from some very food driven species that will actively hunt its pray tho)
Also you need to be able to keep an eye of any feeders that are not eaten and take them out as can hurt your spider during moulting.
I will personally put them in sth smaller and more simply decorated for now and move them in that one once they gain some more size.
You will get better growth rate in smaller enclosures too.
Few examples below
1oz deli pot for small(or microscopic) slings
20200714_144434.jpg
4oz deli pot - for a little bigger slings
20200827_190740.jpg
20210227_120011.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Attachments

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Def not slings

Suggestion

Change their names :troll:

They seem fine- they have amazing feeding response one of the best of all I’ve kept

lok444

Arachnopeon
Def not slings

Suggestion

Change their names :troll:

They seem fine- they have amazing feeding response one of the best of all I’ve kept
LOL Oogie Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas. I was thinking of the name Kalabar for one of them, names are always tentative at least for like the first week haha. The smaller one just ate a 1/4 cricket (the breeder was prekilling still so I did too), there is another one in there will see if he or she eats that one as well.

I am concerned about the bigger one though. It burrowed and covered up the entrance (do not disturb sign for sure lol) didn't even have a chance to eat. I didn't get a super good look at it. I am wondering if it could have been in premolt when I got it. Or if it is just freaked out, and it will reopen the burrow soon.

Hi
as long as you can tell if the spider is finding its food it most likely will be ok.
It easier to keep an eye on smaller spiders in smaller enclosures.Its easier for your spider to find its food in smaller enclosures (they are ambush predators and pray needs to go near them.There are few exeptions from some very food driven species that will actively hunt its pray tho)
Also you need to be able to keep an eye of any feeders that are not eaten and take them out as can hurt your spider during moulting.
I will personally put them in sth smaller and more simply decorated for now and move them in that one once they gain some more size.
You will get better growth rate in smaller enclosures too.
Few examples below
1oz deli pot for small(or microscopic) slings
View attachment 430196
4oz deli pot - for a little bigger slings
View attachment 430197
View attachment 430199

Regards Konstantin
Thanks for your response.

Wow your T's are GORGEOUS!

The smaller one ate readily voracious for sure! I am going to enjoy them so much!

Thanks
This is one of my T albos in different life stages.

LOL Oogie Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas. I was thinking of the name Kalabar for one of them, names are always tentative at least for like the first week haha. The smaller one just ate a 1/4 cricket (the breeder was prekilling still so I did too), there is another one in there will see if he or she eats that one as well.

I am concerned about the bigger one though. It burrowed and covered up the entrance (do not disturb sign for sure lol) didn't even have a chance to eat. I didn't get a super good look at it. I am wondering if it could have been in premolt when I got it. Or if it is just freaked out, and it will reopen the burrow soon.
Hi
Its good one has eaten.
The other one may be premoult or not.
Some slings doesn't feel secure in larger enclosure and seal themselves.Its still early days so don't go poking .They will need a while to settle in.It may come out in few days when it gets hungry.
Regards Konstantin

lok444

Arachnopeon
Hi
Its good one has eaten.
The other one may be premoult or not.
Some slings doesn't feel secure in larger enclosure and seal themselves.Its still early days so don't go poking .They will need a while to settle in.It may come out in few days when it gets hungry.
Regards Konstantin
You are so nice and helpful thank you! I would never go poking. That's like someone breaking into my house, I certainly so not want to invade it's personal space. It was really curious last night all over the enclosure just like the smaller one, maybe it is just a more reserved specimen. I don't think it got spooked, so now the waiting game. I hope it's not too long. A big part of keeping is patience I suppose haha. You think I should wait a week and drop a prekilled and see if it disappears? I blessed to have them, I fell in love with this species a while ago and took the leap. I smiled so big when I saw one eating so exciting, the little one is so outgoing. I just want them to be happy! Its really interesting to see the different personalities.

Hi
prekilled if it shows itself.If not appeared till then and you have appropriate size(small feeders) that don't burrow you can put live one and leave it for few hours in, as the vibration from the feeder passing its burrow may drive the spider out if its hungry
Regards Konstantin

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Thanks for your response.

Wow your T's are GORGEOUS!

The smaller one ate readily voracious for sure! I am going to enjoy them so much!
They are large enough to eat live. I've raised them from at least 1/8" slings and they all ate live. They are capable predators.

AtoZ

Arachnopeon
“LOL Oogie Boogie from Nightmare before Christmas” ….I named mine Fred Gwynne lol!