Just double checking.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
I have an a avic. she's wonderful.
she found a cricket in her enclosure yesterday, and ate it pretty quick.
today she was looking down at the sub, pretty close to the ground, so i offered another cricket and she grabbed it within 1/2 a second.

she hasn't ate much since i got her, the one she got yesterday was her second one.
I know they fast, but how many crickets on average does a juvie eat weekly? Don't want to over or underfeed :smug:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
it sounds like your feeding it pretty well. I only feed my A. avic once a week which is either 2 crickets or a juvenile dubia. every time i get a new T I do give it as much food as it wants for the first week because you never know the exact conditions the dealer keeps it in (It could be starving from what you know) even if it does look plump and then once you know its eaten a few times that's when i go on a slower routine feeding schedule.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
it sounds like your feeding it pretty well. I only feed my A. avic once a week which is either 2 crickets or a juvenile dubia. every time i get a new T I do give it as much food as it wants for the first week because you never know the exact conditions the dealer keeps it in (It could be starving from what you know) even if it does look plump and then once you know its eaten a few times that's when i go on a slower routine feeding schedule.
Her abdomen was pretty small when i got her, after being rehoused she was skittish and didn't take to crickets well. (plus i bought some that were way to big) Finally 4 days after i got her, petco finally got some crickets in stock, she ate one that day, that was last week i believe.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have an a avic. she's wonderful.
she found a cricket in her enclosure yesterday, and ate it pretty quick.
today she was looking down at the sub, pretty close to the ground, so i offered another cricket and she grabbed it within 1/2 a second.

she hasn't ate much since i got her, the one she got yesterday was her second one.
I know they fast, but how many crickets on average does a juvie eat weekly? Don't want to over or underfeed :smug:
What size is your T. Juvi is a somewhat meaningless subjective term.

Your best gauge of hunger with Ts is their abdominal size, and with Avics their body posture a bit more obvious than others. When pretty hungry, head first to the ground ;)

Frequency of feedings depends on the temperature in the room/cage and where it's at in its growth cycle, ie close to molting vs soon after post-molt etc.

All things being equal, I watch my Avics and let them eat as much as they want, as I feel they likely do that in nature. I don't have data to support this notion. Though I'm hoping the researcher I know will provide this at some point.

Some of my young Avics (3-4" in size) may eat 3-4 crickets in a single sitting. Size of cricket 5/8" to 3/4" of inch

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Her abdomen was pretty small when i got her, after being rehoused she was skittish and didn't take to crickets well. (plus i bought some that were way to big) Finally 4 days after i got her, petco finally got some crickets in stock, she ate one that day, that was last week i believe.
if you just rehoused it then it may need a few days to settle in to its new enclosure which may be your case. the one thing i do notice with A. avics is that they can be a little skittish on hunting especially as juveniles meaning that as the food is walking around the T may just tag it to judge the size and then quickly run away. if this is the case then i would suggest just simply crushing the head of the prey before feeding so it seems less intimidating.

BTW whats the DLS (diagonal leg span) of your avic or do you have a pic to show us?

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
if you just rehoused it then it may need a few days to settle in to its new enclosure which may be your case. the one thing i do notice with A. avics is that they can be a little skittish on hunting especially as juveniles meaning that as the food is walking around the T may just tag it to judge the size and then quickly run away. if this is the case then i would suggest just simply crushing the head of the prey before feeding so it seems less intimidating.

BTW whats the DLS (diagonal leg span) of your avic or do you have a pic to show us?
nomnom.jpg gomah.jpg
she's 2 1/2 in. diagonally, and I've had her for about a month and a half, Her abdomen is looking plumper now, which is good. the first 2 meals she got by herself, I noticed she was in her 'hunting stance' so i tweezer fed her the last cricket.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
her abdomen looks perfectly fine (not fat but not skinny) and everything you say seems alright. the only thing i may say is that the cage looks pretty big to me which can make it harder for it to find food so that may be the cause of your concerns. do you have any pictures of the entire cage?

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
her abdomen looks perfectly fine (not fat but not skinny) and everything you say seems alright. the only thing i may say is that the cage looks pretty big to me which can make it harder for it to find food so that may be the cause of your concerns. do you have any pictures of the entire cage?
I'm have a smaller enclosure waiting on her! 20170105_141124.jpg 20170105_141110.jpg

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
looks pretty good. i would just let the substrate dry up and then i would say that your ready to go... just add a water dish too.
sub has been drying since yesterday and i have a dish ready, just took it out for the pictures because bottle caps suck :playful:

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
What size is your T. Juvi is a somewhat meaningless subjective term.

Your best gauge of hunger with Ts is their abdominal size, and with Avics their body posture a bit more obvious than others. When pretty hungry, head first to the ground ;)

Frequency of feedings depends on the temperature in the room/cage and where it's at in its growth cycle, ie close to molting vs soon after post-molt etc.

All things being equal, I watch my Avics and let them eat as much as they want, as I feel they likely do that in nature. I don't have data to support this notion. Though I'm hoping the researcher I know will provide this at some point.

Some of my young Avics (3-4" in size) may eat 3-4 crickets in a single sitting. Size of cricket 5/8" to 3/4" of inch
i went and checked on her again and she was still close to sub head first, so i offered another cricket and she took it happily. I plan on doing the same for her. unless it gets a tad ridiculous, like 3 crickets daily.