Just curious, What did you name your T's & why?

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
My G. pulchra female is named Snooky because she likes to shake her big arss and she just looks like Snooky. It's the perfect name for the nasty little girl that she is.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. smithi - Jazz
A. versicolor - Starscream
P. cambridgei - Devestator
A. geniculata - Skywarp

Guess where are their names and characters coming from :D

stevet73

Arachnopeon
chilli - very boring for my chilian rose
lilly - for my pink toe after the song lilly the pink

captmarga

Arachnobaron
There are so many ways to name pets, regardless of species. Cats, dogs, horses, Ts... and so on.

On my Ts - I try and give a name from the language of their country - Chileans - names in Spanish, etc. My two Cobalt blues I named from characters in the King and I (Lum Tha and Thiang). You can use song titles, band names, colors, movie/tv/novel characters, silly names, serious names. Most of mine go a day or so while I decide what to call them. I try and give fairly gender-neutral names, unless I'm sure of gender.

At the moment I have:

HRM Victoria, Thiang, Lum Tha, Sundancer, Mae West, Fandango, Sallah, Fortunato, Athena, Aphrodite, Top Shelf, Moji-Toes, Mary Rose, Stacatto, Scaramouche, Satine, Rizzo, Carmina, Orellana, Lullaby, Zaphod, Whimsy, Cervantes, Dulcinea (I have a horse named Aldonza), Zamfir, Entrappez-Moi, Burning, Bright, the Wookie, Domino, Atomic Flame, Tangerine Dream, Holy Hell, Piel Azul, Venus, Vanquished, Aritza, Devarna, Sitar, Pernambuco, Pamina, Teodoro, Florescue, Morticia, Wild Rover, Trinidad, Puzzlement, Vogue, Valentine, Nocturne. My daughter's five are Elvenfoot, Glenwing, Amarillo, Quannah and Rupunzel. Then I have one jumping spider, the Goblin, and her single offspring... yet unnamed.

Whew. There will be more this weekend.

Marga

LordPofas

Arachnopeon
I think I've posted this before but I do have some new T's so...

N Chromatus- Skeletor (Obvious reasons)
L Parahybana- Capo (Short for Capoeira, a Brazilian martial art)
B Vagans-Bandido (Spanish for thief)
G Pulchripes- Xerxes (Bad guy from "300", wore lots of gold...gold knee'd T:?)
B Albopilosum-Muerte Peluda (Spanish for "Hairy Death", from South Park)
P. Murinus- Toby (My friend suggested I name him "Kunta" since it's an African T, then he quickly changed his mind and said "NO, Toby!", as non pc as it is, I thought it was kinda funny and it stuck)
P. Pederseni- Stretch (Casper's mean uncle)
H. Lividum- Evil Betty (Bad guy from "Kung Pow-Enter The Fist", name fits)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i named my fat l. parahybana "lunch box" because she eats CONSTANTLY, just and my p. regalis "therion" .. latin for wild beast. guess poecilotheria regalis roughly translates to ruler of the spotted wild beast

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Brachypelma albopilosum is named B. albo because it takes less effort to say than Brachypelma albopilosum.

My Cyriocosmus ritae is named C. ritae because it takes less effort to say than Cyriocosmus ritae.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lampropelma violaceopes "Nightshade," because the females of this species kind of look like the berries.

Poecilotheria regalis "Marathon," because she showed me how fast she can go during an escape.

Psalmopoeus reduncus "Duncan," because of the Latin name. "Ms. Brown" because I love viperkeeper's venomous snakes.

Psalmopoeus irminia "Nike," because of the Nike strikes on her legs.

Acanthoscurria brocklehursti "Flicker," she kicked hairs her first day when she wasn't even 1/2 of an inch.

Chromatopelma "Rainbow," because he's very pretty. "Antioco" because it means stubborn which fits her perfectly.

That's it for all the ones that have names. Still have to decide on names for a P.regalis, male L.violaceopes, a B.boehmi, two P.pulcher and a P.irminia.

ChileanRosehair

Arachnopeon
I named my G. rosea Inka because I really wanted to give her a south american name and thought that name was both exotic and beautiful and fits her just perfectly.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Well I named my G rosea, Shelob, as any "Lord of the Rings" fans will know, Shelob is the name of the fictitious giant spider in the third book and or movie. And I named my Cobalt (Haplopelma Lividum) Marilyn Manson, for the same reason the singer got his name. Because H. Lividums are very beautiful, as was Marilyn Monroe. However, there attitude, is PURE evil such as Charles Manson, the serial killer.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice...I nicknamed my H. lividum "Helob," since he's scary enough to be the male version of Shelob. ;) His actual name is Houdini now, thanks to an impressive escape he pulled.

And here's what else I have so far:

GBB - Charlotte, because of her impressive web
G. pulchra female - Arizmenda
G. pulchra male - Ashdautas (Both are named after obscure black metal bands)
B. smithi - Morrissey
G. pulchripes - Saffron
OBT sling - Fang
P. metallica (I don't have her yet, but should by the end of this week or the beginning of next) - I'm thinking Kali, after the Hindu goddess. They're native to India, and Kali is a fearsome deity, often depicted with blue skin.

Still need names:

A. geniculata (sling) - Needs a name that conveys its piggish eating habits
X. immanis sling - Needs a dignified name, preferably sex-neutral
P. ornata sling - Same as above

Last edited:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I let taxonomy name my tarantulas, and leave it at that.

Obijuan56

Arachnosquire
G. Rosea - Shanaynay Inside joke between my friends and I
G. Pulchripes Sling- Ellis, named after one of my good friends I have not seen in awhile
P. Regalis sling - Orpah, Character from the bible

lord lionheart

Arachnopeon
Montezuma ( Monty) & Rex, or Araña & Reina

Montezuma ( Araña) is a Mexican Fireleg so he/she got a Spanish/Mexican name. Araña is Spanish for spider
Rex/Reina is a Green Bottle Blue and my 5 year old named it after his build-a-bear teddy bear LOL

Last edited:

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
I name all my T's with girl names in hopes they are girls. Let's see...
1. Grammostola rosea (Rose Hair) Becky - Due too a customer I have that would love too own a T but her boyfriend won't let her.
2. Acanthoscurria brocklehursti (Brazilian White Banded) Jessica - After an ex girlfriend. Sweet, but can be very evil when needed!
3. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue) Miley - After Miley Cyrus. I've been obsessed with her since I saw in her in the First Season of Hannah Montana over 5 years ago now! Don't judge.
4. Pterinochilus murinus (Orange Baboon Tarantula) I don't have a name yet - I really haven't thought of a name for this one yet. But it will be a boy's name. I have a feeling...