Just adopted a pair of hissers.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got them from a guy at work who's wife was wanting them gone.

I believe both to be male, one definitely is...he's a good 3" and has a very impressive rack. The other is 2.5" this one has bumps behind the head as well but are not nearly as large as the other.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Females do have a bit of a bump...but not like the males.
You may have a true pair.

-Brad

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IDK I'm still thinking the smaller one is also a male.

Here's probably a stupid question could hissers co-exist with dubia?

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
They'll be fine, but be aware that Hissers always escape, sooner or later.

it's those darn nymphs {D . they can climb anything and any surface and manage to squeeze themselves through openings you couldn't force paper through.
I've kept them for years, but the appearance of hissers where they shouldn't appear didn't amuse my colleagues at all (mine were at school where I teach). even using vaseline didn't help much; they just lick it off and pile on top of each other.....

and Hissers are also a bit more omnivorous than dubia's, so you might catch adult Hissers snacking on newborn or freshly molted dubia nymphs.
this is not a problem, given the pace that dubia's breed.......

dubia's tend to stay on or in the substrate and eggcrates, Hissers do too, but like to climb. if you put in a few branches and use a bulb to give off warmth, you'll spot the Hissers going up and rest on the branches.

in their native country Hissers live in trees! I like em a lot, and luckily they don't breed in the house (I think, depends on where you live)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another method of sexing is to look at the antennae -- males are slightly fuzzier than females.

Sidguppy -- I almost changed my signature quote to the same as yours after seeing a marathon the other day. {D

Brad Ramsey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay here's a pic that I bootleg dragged off the blattaria forum (but the person who posted it there did the same thing.
If this is your photo please let me know and I'll have it removed.
Notice the much larger last segment on the female.

Last edited: