Just a thought

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I was wondering with all the horrible petstore advice and husbandry, I was wondering (like I'm sure many have) of a way to stamp that out. Well do you think if a member of this forum were to type up specific care sheets for say the 10 most popular appropriate T's. In a detailed professional manner that was beginner friendly and easy to read, if a chain such as petsmart, petco, etc would lend an ear?

I'm wondering if someone did this if the stores would consider changing their incorrect caresheets, and possibly be persuaded to only carry the appropriate beginner species on said list.

Would they consider it if we had a lot of forum members sign off on it? If we let them know we are only looking to better not only the animals health, but the stores reputation?if we show them the way we recommend is the right way?

Thanks for the input

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Nope , I seriously doubt they would even read them . Big box chain stores are in the business to sell pets and not in the business to care for pets . That's the customers responsibility . They're Petco/Petsmart and they think that they know what they are doing . They are profiting and that's all that matters . The well being of a few big hairy spiders isn't very close the top of their list of important things . It's a shame but it's true . I applaud you desire to do the right thing but they just don't care .

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Nope , I seriously doubt they would even read them . Big box chain stores are in the business to sell pets and not in the business to care for pets . That's the customers responsibility . They're Petco/Petsmart and they think that they know what they are doing . They are profiting and that's all that matters . The well being of a few big hairy spiders isn't very close the top of their list of important things . It's a shame but it's true . I applaud you desire to do the right thing but they just don't care .
Can't see them care either. The way the world is profit is all that matters. I highly doubt that they will care about a bunch of fanatics ( which we are to other people ). You can try to get in contact with them which I think another member of this froum did before. But chances are small they will agree to something like that.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Maybe if we could put it in a way that would make it seem like they could profit more with the right info? Like if they had a better reputation in the arachnid community, and our support rather than us telling new hobbiest to stay far away, they would in turn have more customers because of our support, and keep the animal alive longer so less loss of "product" for them.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
+1. I have never worked for a big chain pet store, just the smaller family owned shops and fish stores. Pets Mart and Petco are notorious for having extremely under experienced/educated staff, so yes bad husbandry is bound to be a issue. Most individual non-chain Pet stores do their best to only hire people who are experienced hobbyists. Reasoning is reputation, lessening loss of livestock etc etc. The big chains aren't very concerned with these things, they make 90% of their money in dog and cat food and other dry goods anyways.
One thing though standing in the way of good husbandry with T's and other critters in pet stores small and large, is display- people want to be able to see the animal they are buying, generally the T's are kept in the smallest critter keeper possible with minimal substrate and no hides, unfortunately this will not change anytime soon.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nothing else to add :cigar: <--- Petco/PetSmart/Petsomething Big Boss smoking high priced $ cigars

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Maybe if we could put it in a way that would make it seem like they could profit more with the right info? Like if they had a better reputation in the arachnid community, and our support rather than us telling new hobbiest to stay far away, they would in turn have more customers because of our support, and keep the animal alive longer so less loss of "product" for them.
This is what is said in a thread back in early July concerning Petco :

"I imagine a well crafted response will be sent out via e-mail that expresses their interest in your concerns about their stores and that all their associates will be receiving the company mandated training so that they will be able to provide the best possible service and care of the "whatever animals you are e-mailing about" . And that they are always striving to do their very best to provide the service their customers , the community and the animals/products that they sell so rightfully deserve .Then they will invite you to visit the nearest Petco store so that you can see for yourself the efforts that they putting forward to earn your business as your friendly neighborhood pet care provider . Also , while you are their please take advantage of the very competitive pricing and outstanding selection . Don't forget that you can now apply for the Petco friends card that gives special bonus pricing and coupons only available for members . So come in and buy stuff"
I hate to say that my feelings haven't changed . The board of directors don't care about Ts . They care about their wallets .

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Just look at how the treat dogs and cats. Their pets are often in poor shape from what I've observed. In the dog training world, their "training" is widely regarded as crap. Their "trainers" are not knowledgable about basic behaviorist principles and they give terrible advice. I think their "training" is simply to encourage people to buy all those cookie treats for their dogs rather than help people learn how to communicate and work with their pets. Dogs are pretty easy to care for and to train and they can't even get that right. Tarantulas are a bit more mysterious and much of their care is not intuitive (leave them alone, etc). I don't think we can expect them to get it right.

Maybe the key is to keep doing what we do- avoid going there, frequent LPS, etc. I don't have a lot of faith that they will care enough to do anything. This is exactly why I try to go to small businesses to spend my money whenever I can. F the man and all that.

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Just look at how the treat dogs and cats. Their pets are often in poor shape from what I've observed. In the dog training world, their "training" is widely regarded as crap. Their "trainers" are not knowledgable about basic behaviorist principles and they give terrible advice. I think their "training" is simply to encourage people to buy all those cookie treats for their dogs rather than to actually learn how to communicate and works with their pets.
I think that they were the inspiration for Kristen Wiig's character from Semi-Pro . "I've been working with the bear for like a day , but I trained cats for like six years and they're kind of the same thing ."

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I think that they were the inspiration for Kristen Wiig's character from Semi-Pro . "I've been working with the bear for like a day , but I trained cats for like six years and they're kind of the same thing ."
Ha! Right. I'm about to take my tarantula on a walk. Who trains cats anyway? My cat has trained me! :cat:

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I have been interested in the Tarantula Hut program that Petco is starting. I even started having faith in them as some employees have been alright to deal with, humble enough to admit that they don't know jack, and even suggested doing research. However, that spark of faith was dashed to pieces last week when I told the manager of the store that the label on the Tarantula Hut was wrong. It listed a Brazilian Giant Salmon as a P. muticus. His response was somewhere along the lines of so what and there is nothing that I can do.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've typed up some "advice" (wouldn't call them caresheets) for newer people about some species. But the problem with petstore-chains is that the animals are a "product" and treated as such. They're to make money, nothing else. There have been many tries and failures to change their policies over the years. They don't listen to that kind of stuff and keep to use wrong information just have something to say about an animal they don't really care much about in the first place.

The only reason to prevent these animals to go through the ordeal at those places would be if people wouldn't buy them from them so that with no demand, they stop carry them in their inventory. Sadly, we're all human and some of us will go to any length "save" a T from that. However, it does cause the exact opposite. You save one, you condemn more to the same while doing so. It's a neverending cycle and the simple and honorable thing to do is:

Only buy from classifieds (other breeders / hobbyists) instead of petstores.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Big corporations are not individuals. They do not have a conscience. They do not have a sense of decency. And they have no vested interest in you or your community. Corporations are a thing - an entity that is made up of so many parts, none of which have any idea what the other parts are doing, who could care less about individual items or individual people. They are not Bill or Annie down the street that opened up a neighbourhood pet shop that you played football with in highschool and who was at your child's fifth birthday party.
You will never know who made the decision to sell tarantulas, or who is the appropriate individual to address about their care. They don't even know themselves! Best case, you're going to get to someone who does the buying for a particular region - and a junior buyer at that. Anyone else will not be available to address your concerns. There is a good chance that the person doesn't even exist.
They have teams and teams of lawyers, public relations people, and accountants who slave tirelessly to ensure that they are protected and shielded from lawsuits and bad publicity. They don't care if animals die - it is the cost of doing business and the margin for losses is factored into the price you pay. They don't care if a child is bitten, they don't care if your child is bitten - they are legally protected and have a team of people ready to go 24/7/365 in the event that damage control is needed. They have no responsibility or liability to you or other members of the public.
That is the nature of corporations. That is how they work - every last one of them without exception.
I wish that there was something more that we can do as dedicated individuals.... but there isn't. Best we can do is not shop there and support people who have a bit more responsibility to the community... who are invested in their community.

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Their "tarantula hut" chain is all the evidence you need that neither Petco, nor their supplier (whomever that scumbag may be and we have good ideas), nor anyone affiliated took even 5 minutes to research their tarantulas, their "tarantula huts" are an embarrassment to pet care. And the fact that the brillo pad and leaf they out in those containers probably cost more than an appropriately sized container and some substrate.

Not to mention the blatant mislabeling and horrid array of species available. The comunity has already made an open letter to their offices and if memory serves it went nowhere except them saying they would "work on" adjust their options to less potent species.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I guess I hadn't realized so many others had tried, it really sucks but you're probably all right..man I kind of wish I knew who their dealer was so I could not provide them business either. Sadly the only small time pet shop here is a fish shop. Maybe Springfield needs a T specialty store ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I kind of wish I knew who their dealer was so I could not provide them business either.
Yes, whoever they are have sold their soul and the tarantulas will pay the price. PetCo won't be breeding their own, so whether they sell them or not relies on whether a breeder is willing to sell out to them. It might have even been a breeder who proposed the deal to PetCo to begin with.
And, if anything really bad happens, PetCo will try to blame them and they'll get the karmic meal that they earned.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I say let Petco offer more potent species. If a kid gets bit, that's a law suit. That's the best way to teach Petco something about offering hot species.

Actually, I just realized what a bad idea that is... A suit could also lead to a hobby ban. I haven't seen any "tarantula huts" at my closest Petco, are they still selling them? Are they still selling OWs? That's my biggest problem with Petco. It's one thing if they don't care for them correctly. 90% of people who keep tarantulas keep them incorrectly anyway. It's another thing if they offer a dangerous species, that if a bite of which is publicized, would end the hobby. I'm not going to let a corporation ruin the third most important thing in my life.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I say let Petco offer more potent species. If a kid gets bit, that's a law suit. That's the best way to teach Petco something about offering hot species.

Actually, I just realized what a bad idea that is... A suit could also lead to a hobby ban. I haven't seen any "tarantula huts" at my closest Petco, are they still selling them? Are they still selling OWs? That's my biggest problem with Petco. It's one thing if they don't care for them correctly. 90% of people who keep tarantulas keep them incorrectly anyway. It's another thing if they offer a dangerous species, that if a bite of which is publicized, would end the hobby. I'm not going to let a corporation ruin the third most important thing in my life.
I know it's not a OW per se, but mine had a P. cambridgei on the shelf a few weeks back.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I know it's not a OW per se, but mine had a P. cambridgei on the shelf a few weeks back.
Not an OW, but definitely not a pet you should be buying your 10 year old. :/ Hopefully they'll only stock Ts in the Brachypelma, Grammostola, Euthalus, Avicularia, and Aphonopelma genera in the future.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Me, @viper69 and many others talked to petcos head of reptiles and such. He seemed to care, but even he didnt really seem like he had much power in changing this, just that hed "talk to some people" I saw some B. vagans at my store, one was stress curled in a corner, another was up on the lid, guy tapped the enclosure to force it to fall down, and the last one had dug through and hid and in the foam.