Just a new owner with old questions!

Brandon Russell

Arachnopeon
22562064-78FB-4938-BCEF-7060028195B5.jpeg 4E0E052A-05D1-4823-8CAB-7E7175F8E070.jpeg

Being new I want to make sure I have the requirements to keep my lil girl strong and healthy!

Up to speed;
My apartment is typically 71° F bedroom getting maybe a degree or two colder due to a fan but warms up at night.

My girl is a avicularia avicularia (pink toe).

I have two cats that try to get on the desk.

And I keep my bedroom window shut almost at all times.

Questions;
I wanted to make sure that the temperature in my room wouldn’t be a problem for her, the guys at my store told me it would be okay, but they weren’t the most knowledgeable on tarantulas they admitted.

Are my cats going to give her to much stress to where I should shut my door when not home? They don’t seem to care that she’s there by not even going near the cage.

And finally I know she is arboreal so she is going to stay up on the walls and cork bark but she doesn’t go touch the ground at all that I’ve noticed and I saw on reddit one time about soil not being pressed right is that something I should try?

P.S. I’m sorry if the format is annoying or wrong for here I just signed up so I’ll get the hang of it eventually just thought it would be the easiest! :)

P.P.S I attached the picture to help with some questions.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
My biggest suggestion is to add more "stuff" at the top: more bark or fake plants to give more places to hide behind

What are you using for a lid? I don't see it in the pictures.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I wanted to make sure that the temperature in my room wouldn’t be a problem for her, the guys at my store told me it would be okay, but they weren’t the most knowledgeable on tarantulas they admitted.
mid to upper 70s is probably better. Right not mine are that low while I get the heating set up for the cold seasons, they'll be fie for a small bit, but it's not ideal.
Are my cats going to give her to much stress to where I should shut my door when not home? They don’t seem to care that she’s there by not even going near the cage.
anything could happen, better to be safe than sorry
And finally I know she is arboreal so she is going to stay up on the walls and cork bark but she doesn’t go touch the ground at all that I’ve noticed and I saw on reddit one time about soil not being pressed right is that something I should try?
yeah they don't like loose soil is what I've heard, but it won't matter your T will hardly touch the floor.

I'd add more stuff for it to "play with" and by that I mean climb and wander and such. Sticks, more bark, more grounding points on the top, etc.

Brandon Russell

Arachnopeon
The lid is a mesh lock top
My biggest suggestion is to add more "stuff" at the top: more bark or fake plants to give more places to hide behind

What are you using for a lid? I don't see it in the pictures.
The lid is a mesh lock top, it can slightly be seen in the bottom left of the picture of the cage!

mid to upper 70s is probably better. Right not mine are that low while I get the heating set up for the cold seasons, they'll be fie for a small bit, but it's not ideal.

anything could happen, better to be safe than sorry

yeah they don't like loose soil is what I've heard, but it won't matter your T will hardly touch the floor.

I'd add more stuff for it to "play with" and by that I mean climb and wander and such. Sticks, more bark, more grounding points on the top, etc.
Thank you much! I’ll make sure to get more “toys”.

Last edited by a moderator:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The lid is a mesh lock top

The lid is a mesh lock top, it can slightly be seen in the bottom left of the picture of the cage!
Be careful with mesh lids, tarsal claws can get stuck in them. The mesh on that lid looks fairly safe but just thought I'd warn you that there is a bit of a risk. A full shot of the lid with something to show scale (for the size of the holes) would help

Brandon Russell

Arachnopeon
Be careful with mesh lids, tarsal claws can get stuck in them. The mesh on that lid looks fairly safe but just thought I'd warn you that there is a bit of a risk. A full shot of the lid with something to show scale (for the size of the holes) would help
Cool! I’m going to want to get a front open case soon, because feeding from the top is a pain.

image.jpg
Here’s a photo to help.

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
Cool! I’m going to want to get a front open case soon, because feeding from the top is a pain.
I would be careful with that, especially with some of the faster species. Because even the slower species can move quite fast if motivated, a side opening could be a bit more of a challenge to keep the spider in the enclosure.

Brandon Russell

Arachnopeon
I would be careful with that, especially with some of the faster species. Because even the slower species can move quite fast if motivated, a side opening could be a bit more of a challenge to keep the spider in the enclosure.
I’m glad you told me that instead of getting it and be like “ope there she goes.” Thank you!

Feral

Arachnobaron
Great advice already given, and also...

You're smart to worry that your cats may be problematic and wise to ask about it here.

Cats absolutely can and will mess with tarantula enclosures. (And feeder enclosures, too.) They see movement, their hunting instincts get sparked, and it's ON.
It's all tragedy and regrets from there, believe me. See below.
Sometimes they're obsessed with the enclosures from the start, sometimes they don't notice and/or ignore the enclosures for a very long time but one day finally attack, sometimes nothing ever happens. But, point is, you can't predict it with any certainty so it's always best to cat-proof (or dog- or velociraptor- or whatever-proof) your exotics and small animals. Even cats who usually ignore the actual tarantula itself can get triggered by a feeder in the enclosure.

Learn from me... because I fo sho had to learn the hard way. In 2001, my very first tarantula, a G. pulchra sling, I had grown into a young juvenile. I was so in love! One day, business as usual lalala, I popped a cricket into her enclosure and hopped in the shower. When I was done, I checked to see if she had eaten... and the entire enclosure was knocked off the counter onto the floor, turned over and dumped out, and the fake rock water dish had fallen right onto my beloved spood. Horror! DX My cat had always ignored both the tarantula and the enclosure, but ultimately found a jumping, noisy cricket to be just too much temptation.
I was so upset and guilt-ridden that I couldn't bear to get another spooder and swore off the hobby entirely for seventeen years!

The possible need for cat-proofing my T had never occurred to me beforehand and I had never heard warning of this in the books I read or in the very limited information availed online at that time. But since this happened, I see it mentioned online by tarantula keepers in recent years. I more frequently encountered it working in veterinary practices when clients would call in a panic saying something like their cat (usually, but sometimes also dog or whatever) got into the enclosure for their X (e.g. invertebrate, reptile, bird, amphibian, feeders, etc.). So I know it happens frequently enough to call for some forethought and preventative measures. If you'd like ideas cat-proofing, I'm sure you'll find lots of help here.

And lastly, congrats on entering the tarantula world and I wish you and your fuzzbutt many happy years together!

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am lucky. My Rosie cat cared-less about my T's except for feeding time. Loved the escaped crickets. Put double sided tape on the desk. They hate the feel and will remember. Another thing you could do is pop a balloon in their presence, then put a balloon on the desk.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's clear you haven't been researching in the right areas based on your questions. Also, it's SMARTER idea to research ahead of time before you own a live animal.

Old questions definitely-- with TONS of old answers, use the search function here or search AB via Google and you can read forever, have fun.

BTW cats kill Ts easily.

I saw on reddit one time about soil not being pressed right is that something I should try?
NO, don't read/apply things on Reddit that have NOTHING to do w/your case. Reddit is full of crap, and SO is STUPIDTUBE.

And finally I know she is arboreal so she is going to stay up on the walls and cork bark but she doesn’t go touch the ground at all that I’ve noticed
You already KNOW the answer>> your Avic is ARBOREAL.

View attachment 322072

Here’s a photo to help.
Avics get caught in mesh screen, dump that crap

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Setup seems fine but like everyone said more “clutter” towards the top and maybe do away with the mesh lid.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Enclosure looks good but could use a better lid over mesh and certainly try to add more ventilation, especially on the side of the enclosure because avics are quite fragile and really need a good amount of ventilation. Also I recommend taking all the plant cover and finding a way to place it on top of the enclosure rather than placing it on the cork piece so it works better for a web home, rather than placing it on the wood. Basically avics should be focused more on what is on the top of the enclosure rather than the bottom since the top of your enclosure is quite bare.

Brandon Russell

Arachnopeon
View attachment 322059 View attachment 322060

Being new I want to make sure I have the requirements to keep my lil girl strong and healthy!

Up to speed;
My apartment is typically 71° F bedroom getting maybe a degree or two colder due to a fan but warms up at night.

My girl is a avicularia avicularia (pink toe).

I have two cats that try to get on the desk.

And I keep my bedroom window shut almost at all times.

Questions;

P.S. I’m sorry if the format is annoying or wrong for here I just signed up so I’ll get the hang of it eventually just thought it would be the easiest! :)

P.P.S I attached the picture to help with some questions.
I wanna thank you all for the advice on what to do! The enclosure has gotten a lot more updates with more bark, different substrate, and some moss for humidity sakes!!

She seems to be much more explorey and forming a routine each day! :)

And the cage will be changed out for a meshless top very very soon! Each day I learn a little more from this site, that I had no clue of till the day of bringing her home!

I am lucky. My Rosie cat cared-less about my T's except for feeding time. Loved the escaped crickets. Put double sided tape on the desk. They hate the feel and will remember. Another thing you could do is pop a balloon in their presence, then put a balloon on the desk.
i have never heard of that balloon technique, but won’t be necessary, maybe for other problems around the house though. The cats aren’t aloud in the bed room when I’m not in there anymore! Thankfully only one can get on the desk and she’ll just sit and watch her roam around for a second or two than run off.

Attachments

Feral

Arachnobaron
@Brandon Russell , please do not use tape or balloons or the like! Tape is not fool proof and can easily be overcome by a determined cat. Balloons are a great way to traumatize your cat and possibly cause behavioral issues. The best way is to put Ts behind some sort of closed door, at least. Cabinets (with latches) and closets and regular room doors all work great as long as there is sufficient airflow, the latch is secure, and you're conscientious about making sure the doors are closed every time.

And I just want to commend you on having your animals' best interests in mind, and on being open to listening to and taking advice. Wonderful! :D

cold blood

Staff member
I wanna thank you all for the advice on what to do! The enclosure has gotten a lot more updates with more bark, different substrate, and some moss for humidity sakes!!

She seems to be much more explorey and forming a routine each day! :)

And the cage will be changed out for a meshless top very very soon! Each day I learn a little more from this site, that I had no clue of till the day of bringing her home!

i have never heard of that balloon technique, but won’t be necessary, maybe for other problems around the house though. The cats aren’t aloud in the bed room when I’m not in there anymore! Thankfully only one can get on the desk and she’ll just sit and watch her roam around for a second or two than run off.
Unfortunately it was suggested adding more elevated clutter...and now you have less....but seem to have added a ground hide.

Plants are good, they should be surrounding the top of the wood and be in contact with it. There should be no floor hiding places.

Your temps are fine and your enclosure offers plenty of ventilation...the sub being tamped down doesn't matter for avics, they don't live on the ground. I do agree on the screen replacement.

Brandon Russell

Arachnopeon
Ahhhhh I miss understood than I know she likes the lower one more either way using the tall one for being out and the lower one as a hide but I will fix that as well! The lower one is a tall standing as well though, it’s just a tad shorter because it has a weird bend to it.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Jimi

Arachnopeon
I’m glad you told me that instead of getting it and be like “ope there she goes.” Thank you!
I side opening i think would be fine. If she webs at the top there's a chance you can damage her web when opening the top to feed her