just a few questions about avics

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Thanks to the advice i was given by many of you my little 1 1/2 inch avic avic is doing very well. I just have a few questions though. How long does it usually take avic avics to mature? When can you tell if "she" is male or female? Hope everyone is having a great day....thanks for any feed back.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
How long it takes to become an adult, depends on different factors, for instance how much and how often it eats, which in turn is related to the temperatures.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
As for the sexing, it is next to impossible to sex a sling. When it gets bigger, you can look at the underside of its abdomen to see if its a male or female. It might not always be easy to do so, especially with some species. Then you have to look at the exuvium from one of the moults in a microscope.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good to read your T is doing well :)
How fast a tarantula grows depends on how warm you keep it, and how much you feed.
Warm temperatures translate to a faster metabolism, needing more food, and growing faster.
I've read Avicularia sp. reach approximately 10 years for a female. Males obviously don't get that old.
As for sexing, take a look at this thread, it has the info you need to sex your T yourself. :)http://arachnoboards.com/threads/sexing-for-dummies.54718/

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Thank you! So all over life span for a female is approx ten years? I heard it was less for males...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you! So all over life span for a female is approx ten years? I heard it was less for males...
Males mature faster, and like Townes said, once mature, they don't have long. You can try to slow a male down by keeping it slightly cooler and feeding less. How old Avic males get before maturing, i don't know. I'm sure others can tell you more about that.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
A, a fellow Tennesseean! Personally I don't bother with vent sexing or predicting what the T will turn out to be. I find it easier to just wait for it to molt enough time and sex the old exoskeleton. Just IMO

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
A, a fellow Tennesseean! Personally I don't bother with vent sexing or predicting what the T will turn out to be. I find it easier to just wait for it to molt enough time and sex the old exoskeleton. Just IMO
Hey! have you ever heard of pet cove in kingsport?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Hey! have you ever heard of pet cove in kingsport?
No I have not heard of them. I definitely see white tipped hairs, there are a handful of avic species that possess the white tipped hair so theres a chance it could be something else too. sadly it is near impossible to ID avic species from just pictures since there can be 3many color variation from the same species etc etc.

cold blood

Staff member
Thats a very pretty little baby... looks totally different than mine though.
That's just how they look when little, it will look like yours in due time. You can see yours still has its sling rump. That will be gone in a few molts.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would advise against holding your Avic. The last thing you want to happen is it bolts or slips and dies from falling.

Males live less time because when they mature they are on borrowed time from then on out.

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Yes we almost never hold any of our "exotic" pets, luckily when "she" decided to crawl out of "her" enclosure, i happened to be sitting on the floor trying to drop a cricket in. Decided to use the rare opportunity to get a good pic of "her". Luckily "she" would have only had a few inches from my hand to the ground if "she" would have jumped. Also our tarantulas, scorpions, and one reptile have their own room in the house. Any time we go in that room for feeding, watering, or just to check up onj them, that door is shut with a towel at the bottom in case any one tries to escape.

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
I personally dont agree with people who constantly disturb their pets, T's are not puppies or kittens. A lot of people dont realize that. Ill admit i have held our g. rosea before, but its certainly not or never will be a habit. While this is my first avic, i have witnessed how fast and jumpy they are. While i wont get "her" out to hold "her", if "she" decides to take walk on my hand again, ill definately snap another pic.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I personally dont agree with people who constantly disturb their pets, T's are not puppies or kittens. A lot of people dont realize that. Ill admit i have held our g. rosea before, but its certainly not or never will be a habit. While this is my first avic, i have witnessed how fast and jumpy they are. While i wont get "her" out to hold "her", if "she" decides to take walk on my hand again, ill definately snap another pic.
I think a lot of new keepers 'handle' at first, if only once. It is the same compulsion as needing to touch a soft fluffy piece of fabric, irresistible. There is something magical in letting a T sit/walk on your hands, especially when it does so on its own. But after that, the risk is too high. I've seen a picture of what a T dying from a fall looks like, which was horrible. (And I am not even considering a bite or urticating hairs)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome thank you all, im starting to wonder if "she" is even an avic avic...looks more like a. metallica...what do you guys think?
The only method to 100% guarantee the gender ID of your T is via a molt. There are some species that are sexually dimorphic upon maturation, this is not one of them.

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Awesome thank you all for the info on my little T. Maybe we will find out the sex after a few molts and hopefully we will have many years with "her".