just a few pics

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where'd everybody go, panicking over the holidays? Kind of slow so here are some feeding pics of young Centruroides from Costa Rica.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nah, I got my shopping done early :D
Nice pics and I don't know roaches too well, but those are B. dubia, right? I guess tweezers is the only way to feed your scorps with those hard-shelled, burrowing little suckers.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
:) Im really gunna have to add some Centruroides to my collection.
Some beautiful colorations on that one.
Do you know the this particular species ?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If any of them turn out to be male let me know.

John

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very nice shots :)

C. nigrescens? margaritatus? what?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol yeah, I've been using tweezers more with the ...yip, dubia nymphs. I've seen molts where the loose nymphs are eating on scorpions that didn't molt all the way, ...or did the hungry nymphs kill the scorpion while it was molting? So I don't like to think there are loose dirt sharks hanging around. I esp. see Surinam roaches do this, pinching at centipede feet and ducking down in the dirt, like kids throwing water balloons at cars and running away. The adults were sold as C. bicolor but almost certainly not, they just didn't key out that way, I don't know what they are but I know I have a male because I have several of them. The length doesn't fit the size of C. margaritatus but maybe what I read about size is not accurate, the male was 5 inches and the female 4 inches. The adults really reminded me of pics of C. margaritatus I've looked at but I'm just not 100% on knowing, anybody know if 5 inches for male margaritatus is average?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definetly C.margaritatus. I have explained on many occasions on this board what the differences between C.margaritatus and i.e. C.bicolor are, so that should be very easy to find. 5 inches is not uncommon in this species, but it is around the max lenght. C.margaritatus has a relatively large distribution, so intraspecific variation (size, coloration etc) is also common.
So, concluding, it is definetly not C.bicolor, but merely C.margaritatus.

For descriptions of C.bicolor see Viquez and Stockwell & Francke.....More info on C.marg can be found using Google etc.