just a bit of advice.

jimip

Arachnosquire
ok i just had a quick question on my Grammostola pulchripes sling...... or atleast that what it was sold to me as. because it looks like a rosie spling to me. anyway he eats ok. ive had him sense monday and hes eat about 3 of the tiniest crickets ive ever feed anything. hes les then an inch from foot to foot. just curious how often he will molt because i have to let him eat in privacy ( as in leave him with it for a few minutes alone in the dark) and dont want him hurt.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok i just had a quick question on my Grammostola pulchripes sling...... or atleast that what it was sold to me as. because it looks like a rosie spling to me. anyway he eats ok. ive had him sense monday and hes eat about 3 of the tiniest crickets ive ever feed anything. hes les then an inch from foot to foot. just curious how often he will molt because i have to let him eat in privacy ( as in leave him with it for a few minutes alone in the dark) and dont want him hurt.
Leaving it unattended in there for a just a few minutes shouldn't be to much of a worry :)

No one can tell you how often it will molt as it varies so much from individual to individual :)

jimip

Arachnosquire
well with T's this small its safe to say they are going to happen more often correct?
he may be shy but hes loves his crickets... also at the size this all is how do i tell if theres left over anything?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find it easier to give prekilled crickets of a slightly larger size so I know i've gotten it. With smaller crickets, I never seem to find the remains.

And yes, they will molt more often. Although G. pulchripes won't molt quite as quickly as other species, but there are species that also go way longer between molts.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
where did u get your T from? reason i ask is cuz some places will put something up for sale that really isnt what they say it is. Though i will tell you with confidence that i know for a fact that at that size almost all the grammostola look the same lol.

jimip

Arachnosquire
its not that big a deal if it ends up not being a gold knee. i mean im looking forward to that species but if not i have plenty of time to care for and enjoy my T ( also it being 20 bucks makes me even more calm) but i do trust my source. pruess pets in Lansing has alot of T's and they get them in batches from breeders so i think i have what the deli cup says i have.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
its not that big a deal if it ends up not being a gold knee. i mean im looking forward to that species but if not i have plenty of time to care for and enjoy my T ( also it being 20 bucks makes me even more calm) but i do trust my source. pruess pets in Lansing has alot of T's and they get them in batches from breeders so i think i have what the deli cup says i have.
;) I'll 100% back it up that it is what the deli says. Thanks for supporting our local business.

jimip

Arachnosquire
yeah i just wish i could win the lottery and afford gas to get up there for pin heads every week. he eat like a champ and i bought 150 but when all i s said and done there only in his range for about 2 weeks or so..... wait ....dude we have never meet, but when ever im in your neck of the woods i hear some pretty crazy stuff your pruess arachnid guy right?

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah i just wish i could win the lottery and afford gas to get up there for pin heads every week. he eat like a champ and i bought 150 but when all i s said and done there only in his range for about 2 weeks or so..... wait ....dude we have never meet, but when ever im in your neck of the woods i hear some pretty crazy stuff your pruess arachnid guy right?
hahaha, what kind of crazy stuff? I'm probably the guy people talk about, which kind of worries me lol :eek:. I dont wanna say I'm like THE arachnid guy, but its what i excel at and its what i love most so its what i do the best. I am still by all means rookie to some of the minds here on the boards but i do have a very large amount of knowledge.

As for your dilemma with crickets if im not mistaken im pretty sure i fed them a bit of a large item at the store. take the smallest cricket you can find and crush its head with a pair of feeding tongs and then drop it in...if the little T eats it, great, if not then try again in a few days. yeah you will waste more crickets that way but at least your T will be safe.

jimip

Arachnosquire
well i still have allot of little crickets and with luck i looked into my beardie cage today and saw true pins on her stump she loves so much so i can harvest that for now. i had a A. versicolor that was just a little bit bigger then this eating the smallest small crickets from a pet store so this migh work out ok. besides i may have a trick with a fruit fly culture waiting in the wings ( wow theres not supposted to be a pun there.) and yes much ( self presived) crazyness handleing everything in the store just seems like your asking to be bit.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well i still have allot of little crickets and with luck i looked into my beardie cage today and saw true pins on her stump she loves so much so i can harvest that for now. i had a A. versicolor that was just a little bit bigger then this eating the smallest small crickets from a pet store so this migh work out ok. besides i may have a trick with a fruit fly culture waiting in the wings ( wow theres not supposted to be a pun there.) and yes much ( self presived) crazyness handleing everything in the store just seems like your asking to be bit.
yeah, see thats mostly a myth. I have gotten grief in the past from people and i have heard others say it. I guess i need to take a minute to clear the air and settle the idea thats being thrown around. While i do handle A LOT if not all of the things i have at home, (and some of my friends T's) i hardly ever handle things in the store. i have in the past held the blondi and had a few run ins with skeletons and baboons, but i do not condone handling to the general public as it is asking for someone (if not me) to get bit. I will hold Emps and Rose Hairs, pulchras and some of the more docile T's just to let people see what they are all about but other than that i do all the handling off the clock and outside of the store. I dont want people assuming im the dumb jerk who picks up Pokies for fun because it just makes the store look bad. Also, i tell people its not IF i get bit but WHEN, and i do take that to heart. I never do stupid things when handling, and NEVER while intoxicated. And since ive handled over 200+ different species of tarantula i do it with caution and respect which is why im one of the lucky ones to say "Not yet" lol.

jimip

Arachnosquire
i never took you as some jerk. it was just the finesse and speices they gave examples where. i know its not that big a deal and pruess reptile room is so wonderful i travel over an hour to get there. to be honest i was "lucky" to get the one Rosie that would open the tank opening threat posture and drip all over the place. so although i do all mantance and what not in the tank, handling isnt exactly something ready for. sorry if it came out wrong i have allot of respect for everyone at pruess ive come in contact with, knowledgeable and friendly, not to mention everyone there seems to care more for the pet in question then any sale they could make.