Just a ball python question..

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok my ball python was out exploring last night and tryin 2 get out well she kept raising her head up looking at the screen. Then i walked out for like 20 minutes or more and come back her aspen bedding substrate is like kinda messed up and shes curled up underneath sum. Why is she doing this??

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they like to burrow in the substrate from time to time,she's doing what ballpythons do.in the wild they live in deep burrows. she's fine.enjoy her:)

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you have hides on the warm and cool side of the enclosure? Hides are absolutely essential to keeping a healthy ball python.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have hides on the warm and cool side of the enclosure? Hides are absolutely essential to keeping a healthy ball python.

i got one on the hott side its fine but thanks anyway its normal for them to do that everyones told me!!

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it's normal for them to burrow into their substrate, but that doesn't mean you should only give them one hiding spot. Ball pythons are very shy snakes, they need a hide both in the warm and cool side of their tank, otherwise they can't thermoregulate properly, which often leads to shedding problems and hunger strikes.

An alternative is to provide a multilayered hiding spot. I heat my tank with an under the tank heater, and stack two rubbermaids on top of it, both filled with moss. I cut holes in the top of the lower one and the bottom of the top one so the snake can move between them without having to go outside. the top one ends up being about 10 degrees f cooler then the bottom one.