jungle pics

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those are some great pics, i went to south america a few times but it happend to be prior to my exotics obsession began. I hope to go back one day.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, great pics! I love the face the guy behind you is making, assuming that's you with the snake.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The fer-de-lance is Bothrops atrox, right?
Where exactly were you when you found it (country/region) and where did you find it specifically? Like under a large fallen leaf, forest debris, etc...

What did your guide or any locals say when you handled it? How did you pick it up? Was that the only one you saw or were there more?

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i caught in in nirgua venezuela,northwest.i found it in a pile of cinder blocks we used.i caught it free hand.the natives are scared to death of this snake and call it mapanare.it was vey aggresive!i released it after the pic was taken.my first snake i aver caught outside the u.s and it's a fer de lance!i was shaking for an hour after!

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did you see any other venomous snakes while you were there? How long did you spend in the rainforest?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And was it atrox? There are a few I think, referred to as Fer-de-lance, but I don't think they are nearly as common and may be restricted to certain countries and regions?

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have sent the pic to many experts and they agree it's atrox,i thought it was asper but i guess i was wrong.bad snake either way!of course i didnt have my tongs or a hook near by!we wgere a long way from the nearest doctor also :(

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oblivion56 said:
i saw 1 cascabel,i was there for about a month.
Damn lucky to have found the atrox, I think. :) The cascabel was found where? Did you handle that one as well?

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i found the cascabel near caracas,didnt handle that one!didnt want to press my luck.i think i was lucky to have found and caught the atrox!

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh by the way,the locals thought i was crazy as hell!they wanted me to kill it,which i didnt.they called me savior de serpiente!they said many people are killed by that snake each year.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sheri said:
And was it atrox? There are a few I think, referred to as Fer-de-lance, but I don't think they are nearly as common and may be restricted to certain countries and regions?
B. atrox is widespread over the northern parts of the Amazon region. Also they inhabits a number of different habitats, from mountains (up to several thousand meters) down to the rainforest habitat.
They are common but hard to find.

/Lelle

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
B. atrox is widespread over the northern parts of the Amazon region. Also they inhabits a number of different habitats, from mountains (up to several thousand meters) down to the rainforest habitat.
They are common but hard to find.

/Lelle
But are there any other Bothrops that are referred to as Fer-de-lance? Or is that only a name for B. atrox?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sheri said:
But are there any other Bothrops that are referred to as Fer-de-lance? Or is that only a name for B. atrox?
Thats a common name for many Bothrops, could be any of a number of species really since small ones are not easy to ID. The real fer-de-lance is from caribian island of Martinique - Bothrops lanceolatus.

/Lelle

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any other jungle pics?
I'd love to see some more.

Well, actually, I'd like to take some more, but this will have to substitute, for a while. ;)

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oblivion56 said:
marine toad
Are they in fact marine dwellers?

If so that would be the first amphib I have ever heard of in salt water.

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there was no beach near there,i dunno :? i found him in an a fire ant mound!