June surprise in July!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so i was in my cubical at work when someone down the row let out a fairly piericing scream-ish type noise. next thing i know i hear a smaller person's hurried foot steps in my direction

"there's a bug!!!! a big green bug!!! save me!!!"

My friend Esther had brought in some fruit that her mom picked at home and a large and VERY handsome "june bug" stowed away!

on of the amusing things about the situation was that for a good 3-4 minutes all i could find was a TINY 2-3mm long beetle... a FAR cry from her claimed "thumb size bug"! heh

edit:

wheeeew! i was putting some leaves in the container i am keeping the june bug in and the damn thing escaped! flew all over the office with my big ass chasing it! caught it though!

Last edited:

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all,
Caco did you keep the Beetle? (cutinus mutabilis) If you do you might want to find a deep container and if it is a female mostlikely she is mated and she could lay lots of egg and you will have lots of grubs for you Ts, and centis, just an idea.

The grubs will feed in composted leafmulch.
regards
FT

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Psh. I have TONS of june buds around the trees in my backyards...at night, it gets pretty scary, so I take little baseball bat sluggers out there and start wailing around lol.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Andrew, somehow I can picture you running around an office chasing a green fruit beetle (Continus mutabilis) that's buzzing and bashing into everything;P .

The grubs do make good feeders, but they also have pretty strong jaws and can bite--more importantly they can also eat their way out of plastic containers if there are any ridges or other imperfctions in the container (don't ask me how I know{D {D ). I used to dig them out of my compost pile regularly and have had several escapes. Turtles, tortises, lizards and large inverts all enjoy the grubs.

---Jen