Jumping Spiders

SirBlue77

Arachnopeon
I have a problem with my whitmins jumping spider.
My brother didn't know how to take care of it.
So I researched and created an entirely new enclosure for him.
(My brother had him him in a dark Tupperware for weeks)
The poor thing hides all the time, I had to nudge him out so he could eat.
My new enclosure has cork bark, that's my mortal enemy with him.
He's disappeared, I'm afraid he's just really old.
I have never seen him molt.
He recently lost his grip on the Acrylic walls.
He has hidden for over a week before I started making him exit his webs so he would eat.
He would always eat if I nudged him out.
I learned that males will just waste away when they get elderly.
I have no knowledge on how old he is exactly.
He is a wild bright orange Whitmins Jumping Spider from Texas.
Attached files are the enclosure and The spider.
The last time I saw him, was when I was moving him into the recently bought acrylic enclosure I pictured.
His head turned dark, it wasn't a darker color before.
The pictures of him are from late August.

Picture

Phidippus whitmani

Attachments

The Spider Prince

Arachnopeon
I'm not an expert, but from what I've been told jumpers will start losing their gripping-hairs on their feet before they're about to molt or when they're dying of old age. If you got him from your in-experienced brother, I assume that means he was wild caught?

cyanocorax

Arachnopeon
as the above poster said, inability to grip the sides of an enclosure is a sure sign of aging. apart from this, he's likely very disoriented and nervous after being kept in the dark for a long time. jumping spiders are perceptive little creatures and need a lot of mental and physical stimulation to stay in top form.

some things you can do to help perk them up a little:

- make sure they're not dehydrated. mist the sides of the enclosure from time to time, being careful not to allow mold to build-up.

- some people have had success with sugar/honey water for reviving lethargic phids. i personally haven't tried this, so i can't advocate for how well it works myself.

- add enrichment of some type to the enclosure. your setup is already very good, but some dried leaves and fake plants might pique your spider's curiosity as well as make them feel more secure.

- phids seem to appreciate a little sunlight from time to time. mine would always emerge from their hiding spots to bask in sunlight when placed in a sunnier spot. just be sure not to place them in direct sunlight in an enclosed container. they are prone to overheating and this can prove fatal.

- avoid forcing interaction where possible. phids can be curious and "friendly" creatures but constant disturbances will stress them out. some jumpers seem to appreciate some human interaction for physical exercise and mental stimulation, while others are far more skittish and would prefer to be left alone. yours is likely to be the latter.

best of luck to you and your little one, i hope they pull through. ):