Jumping Spiders

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are so cute , Jumping spiders are my fav insect. Does anyone know of any breeders that sell them during summer?
I'm going to assume you mean they are your favorite arachnid and forget you ever made the typo {D .

Many users here, myself included, keep P. audax, one of the largest species in the country. do you get jumpers in alaska?

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to assume you mean they are your favorite arachnid and forget you ever made the typo {D .

Many users here, myself included, keep P. audax, one of the largest species in the country. do you get jumpers in alaska?
Yes sorry im still new and i get confused with the whole animal kingdom scientific names and what category they fall in. Yah i asked around last year but it was at the end of summer so they were going to bed for winter. Actually i only been back up here for a year and i did see one and not as big as the ones in california. I miss the big black and white ones though. I had one that we kept around the door to eat all the insects and one time he got into our fridge lol was cool he actually was slow enough to let me catch some pictures before putting him back outside for the 10th time hehe.

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
Where can I get one?

OK so these are the coolest little guys ever. I've been reading about them for a few days now and I know that they are all over in the wild. I've never seen one here in NC, but I've never really looked. Is there somewhere I can pick one up at?

Thanks,
Jen

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK so these are the coolest little guys ever. I've been reading about them for a few days now and I know that they are all over in the wild. I've never seen one here in NC, but I've never really looked. Is there somewhere I can pick one up at?

Thanks,
Jen
I found mine overwintering under bark of old fallen trees. it's warmer where you are, so i recommend basically checking out wherever you can find flies in large numbers.

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Thanks,
Jen
Try looking around places where theres alot of leaf litter and near bushes or u can keep a light on to attract moths and stuff and they come along and make home near ur door entrances, just be careful i had one that always got inside and always had to take him outside ..one time he ended up in the fridge lol. Not a good pic of him but ill try and find the other one!

sjeckert6297

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice....don't know if I have the patience to go looking for one but I guess I'll try...... wish me luck. :p

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My sister called me last night and said she had a 'surprise' for me- an 'awesome looking' spider she found in her yard. She described it as 'having three spots on its back and big green fangs.' I asked if it was kind of fuzzy with lots of large eyes, and she said yes. Sounds like a P. audax to me! I'm waiting excitedly to see what she brings over tonight!!!

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Look at these guys! Getting so big, and a couple have started seriously venturing out.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a problem. I bought a fruit fly culture today for the wee ones. Saw what I was getting when I got it, but now that I have them home... ICK!!! I have a serious problem with worms/maggots/larvae. They freak me the heck out! Eww eww ewwww! I knew I should have bought gloves! The guys will just have to deal for a while.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The same thing happened to me when after a week of having a fruit fly culture, I saw a grand total of TWO adults alive in there, which upset me, and when I mixed the oatmeal media stuff around all these maggots were crawling. :eek: Could not deal with it. Just could not, and got rid of the whole shmeal... LOL...

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, there are a bunch of grown flies in there... but many more wiggly nasty larvae.... :eek: *shudder*.... I'll work it out tomorrow... or the next day.... or the day after.... AH! I'll get to it very soon. :)

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My sister called me last night and said she had a 'surprise' for me- an 'awesome looking' spider she found in her yard. She described it as 'having three spots on its back and big green fangs.' I asked if it was kind of fuzzy with lots of large eyes, and she said yes. Sounds like a P. audax to me! I'm waiting excitedly to see what she brings over tonight!!!
If it's not a Phidippus audax, I'll eat my hat.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She is roughly 2 cms. The babies are topping out at half a cm.

I got the babies fed (I'll admit. I used gloves.) The female had two stuffed in her mouth before she realized there were crickets. Not all the babies got a fly but a lot of them did. I might put a few more in there tonight or tomorrow.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow!

They will stay in their group for a while, so you can plan what you'll do to accommodate their size. I currently don't have anything over the holes, but will be soon.

This is a closeup of them,

That's EXACTLY how my slings look even though they're a different Phidippi.
Since the sac had been taken with the mother when Bitsy was found, it was easy to remove the slings from her so she could focus her attention on the second batch. I have them in a little jar covered with a pantyhose cutting and moist paper towel on the bottom.

Heeeeeere's momma!

Jrock

Arachnopeon
Hah, mines been good for about two weeks now, so that is all I can tell you.

Well, the darling little gal got a new container. I moved her from the cotton candy tub, to a clear plastic box with a high top to it. She has been busily decorating the top for the last few hours. She stopped once to look at her fresh prey, but decided to continue working on her webbing. Now, at least, I get to observe her without the obstructing nutritional information and balloon design blocking my view. How fun!

I know this is probably "Spiders 101" but how is the silk produced? Should I make another thread asking this for more answers? Watching her has intrigued me.
Hey Amelia, where did you get this container? Looks great.