Jumping Spiders

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there anything special needed when keeping Jumping Spiders?

Should I keep a supply of crickets on hand at all times in the enclosure, or give them to it at set intervals. I saved one from being squished and have been feeding it crickets. It is eating very well.

It seems to be doing pretty well, but I don't know all that much, so I just wanted to check with the experts to see if there is anything special I should do for the little guy.

Thanks a lot! :)

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is there anything special needed when keeping Jumping Spiders?
Make sure they always have some drinking water. Just a few drops in a lid off a small medicine bottle, or something like that, placed in the bottom of their jar or terrarium will do. Don't let it dry out.

Last edited:

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, cool! Thank you! Such a fascinating little guy. These guys think they are big don't they? ;) Very fiesty. My roommate is less than thrilled about having it in the room, but where else could it be. Loose inside and/or squished, or tossed out in the snow. I don't care. He is freaking fun to watch. Even when he's sitting still.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, cool! Thank you! Such a fascinating little guy. These guys think they are big don't they? ;) Very fiesty. My roommate is less than thrilled about having it in the room, but where else could it be. Loose inside and/or squished, or tossed out in the snow. I don't care. He is freaking fun to watch. Even when he's sitting still.
what kind is he?

Neuroticax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love jumping spiders over T's, to be honest. They are just more active and fun to watch and interact with. I caught a tiny little guy (or gal) myself just a couple days ago. Seriously out of season to be seeing these guys, but the weather has been severely wonky here.

Hope you enjoy your jumper! Never a dull moment. :) It's fun to watch them interact with you. :D

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't have access to google right now, but it is one of the little, gray, hairy ones with small black stripes. Pretty common, from what I've seen.

Godzirra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, I am having difficulty truly pinning him. Sorry I am new to this. :eek: Perhaps, this: http://www.cirrusimage.com/spider_jumping_eris.htm

I will say that this is probably one of the cutest things I have ever seen. My roommate would have a heart attack. lol
http://www.cirrusimage.com/spider_jumping_P_mystaceus.htm
Platycryptus undatus
Platycryptus
GENUS: Platycryptus
Typical jumping spiders in the genus Platycryptus are gray with black markings. Pictured below is a female Platycryptus undatus. It was about 1/2" long and is common in Kentucky.

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually it's a Phidippus. Not sure which species, looks like immature coloration.

Godzirra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually it's a Phidippus. Not sure which species, looks like immature coloration.
are you sure, i looked up what jumping spiders they have in kentucky - and Platycryptus were very common there

but looking at his, i just realized that the coloring was inverse

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is what I was thinking as well. I'm not sure, though.. it just has those three marks (two dots and a triangle) that I find common among Phidippi.

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, definite. The spot pattern is the key here. The white markings on the abdomen are spots. From front to back is spots 1-4. Spots 1 is the first pair near the head, 2 is the large white one, which is actually a fused pair, 3 and 4 are the line pairs following. That's a common Phid spot pattern, and the spots are an important part of adult descriptions.

The iridescent stripe between spots 2 and the spinnerets is also a common Phid trait.

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So now the only question lies with the spider's species..

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I shall try to get some pictures of the actual spider soon. You guys rock.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are the best pictures I could get of the little one. Looks kind of different than the one from the other picture.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So a female? Cool! Out of curiosity, how can you tell?

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think anyone can argue with that.
Well done on the self-ID ^_^