jumping spiders, who keeps them?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jumping spiders, who keeps them? PLEASE ID

well im not much for true spiders but i always see tons of jumping spiders here in IL. There so small(1/8-1/4" usually) so i never really looked at them closely. But after searching around the forums and looking at pics there pretty amazing looking. Id like to try and photograph some and perhaps even keep some. Does anyone keep ones that are this small? Any tips on keeping them? Also, are there any good websites with good info on jumpers?

edit: are jumpers even considered true spiders?

Last edited:

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have kept them before. Small ones like yours can be kept in petri dishes or jars. I kept a drop of drinking water with mine, and no substrate. They prefer flying insects over crawling ones, but they can certainly be weaned to crickets and such.

If you can turn the enclosure upside down (so it opens from the bottom), that's ideal. They will build thier web retreat near the top, so you can quickly remove the lid and clean any fallen debris from it. Otherwise, they are likely to build thier web retreat partly on the rim and partly on the lid, causing it to be damaged whenever you open the container.

Also, in case you can't find suitable food for them, they will accept soy milk. Just offer it to them like water, and it apparently forms a complete diet. I haven't tried that myself yet, but it seems to be a tried and true method for others.

I hope that helps! They make very interesting specimens. Good luck!

Edit: Yes, they are true spiders.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool, yea i would feed em like fruitflys if i kept any. I just went lookin for a few mins and spotted one, he got away though...and wouldnt stay still for a good pic:wall:

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool, yea i would feed em like fruitflys if i kept any.
Keep in mind that fruitflies don't have all the nutrients a spider needs. They can be used occasionally, but not as a staple diet. I've heard of it leading to molting problems.

Just thought you might like to know. :cool:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep in mind that fruitflies don't have all the nutrients a spider needs. They can be used occasionally, but not as a staple diet. I've heard of it leading to molting problems.

Just thought you might like to know. :cool:
k thanks for the tips..perhaps fruitflys and pinheads? Found a few more..this one jumped away before i could catch it. I Was able to get a decent pic considering im using a cheap digital camera. Can anyone ID this one?

can anyone ID this one also?

thanks!

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Phidippus Audax, the only jumper i keep. She will pretty much eat anything, even prey much larger than her.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice, how big is it? Anyone ID guesses on the last 2 pics i posted though? Nice pic btw, i want to get into macro photography but dont know where to start!

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The second photo is a male Salticus scenicus. You can tell it's a male by it's enlongated jaws.

Bug guide is the best website for North American insect identification. It will really help you with identifying jumpers.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The second photo is a male Salticus scenicus. You can tell it's a male by it's enlongated jaws.

Bug guide is the best website for North American insect identification. It will really help you with identifying jumpers.
thanks for the info, I cant find an ID for the first one since I dont even know where to start looking on this website...ill keep lookin

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could the first one possibly be Metacyrba undata?

also found this one, which im guessing is a Salticus scenicus female if that other one is male.? Anyway i think ill keep this one for awhile to watch it eat and stuff.

btw while in posting in the true spider section which i never do, can anyone ID this? It was on my house as well.

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well i just went to petco to get some fruitflys and all the vails were dried up and all the flys were dead/none being produced on bottom:evil: