Jumping Spiders Can See Andromeda!!

The Spider Prince

Arachnopeon
I am, literally, so excited for this amazing news!

Apparently, jumping spider's two largest eyes are the equivalent to small Galilean telescopes.
Not only are they able to see the moon and the stars, but they are also able to see Andromeda, the nearest galaxy to our solar system!

Here is a wonderful article about the discovery:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/jumping-spiders-moon-stars-astronomy/

Last edited:

Leila

Arachnobaron
Nice! A friend of mine sent me a link to that article yesterday. :cat::cat:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I was watching a jumper yesterday on a broad expanse of empty wall. It was turning in circles, checking out the scenery. I did a rough calculation: The wall to it would be about equivalent to me standing on basically flat ground 10 miles across and using 50X binoculars. As in able to spot an average house cat 3 or 4 miles away and what it was doing.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Even when I was little, you could tell that they were looking back at you and watching you just as you watch them

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I am, literally, so excited for this amazing news!

Apparently, jumping spider's two largest eyes are the equivalent to small Galilean telescopes.
Not only are they able to see the moon and the stars, but they are also able to see Andromeda, the nearest galaxy to our solar system!

Here is a wonderful article about the discovery:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/jumping-spiders-moon-stars-astronomy/
Wow I'm speechless seems impossible thanks for posting

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel

Duriana

Arachnoknight
This is pretty amazing! I noticed they were talking about jumpers being nocturnal.. is that a typo or are zebra jumpers actually nocturnal?

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
Love it. I can add this bit to my salticids-have-the-best-vision-ever spiel.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
and they are very less likely to bite! they will most likely jump off than stand and bite! :) I love jumpers too and I see 5-6 times a day in my backyard...once I saw really cute looking one that had purple legs and red abdomen..these spiders are so cute not to handle :D