Jumping Spider problem with jumping?

Jackoty

Arachnopeon
Hello

I have a Question about my Jumping Spider. So i have a Video of it where you can see it what i mean why she jumps so wierd.
Could someone of you explain it to me please? im curious why she cant jump normaly.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks pretty normal to me. Usually they don’t jump super far unless they need to. If it’s eating normally then I wouldn’t worry about it.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
She looks pretty normal to me. In the video she's active and eating, so I wouldn't worry. The prey item looks a tad big, but I don't know how much jumping spiders are typically fed.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
I agree with what others have written. This looks normal, and as long as the jumper is able to eat and move around fine, you’re all good :)

Cororon

Arachnoknight
In the beginning when she jumps down and later when she falls flat on her stomach makes me think that her hemolymph pressure isn't that great. But other than that she seems to be in good shape. She is active, palps normally, and managed to catch the larva. :) If she eats and drinks well, there's nothing to worry about. She is not ill.

She is such a cute little hoppy! :D

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Does it jump like that on non-fibrous substrates as well? It almost looks like her tarsal claws are getting stuck in the paper towel or something.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Does it jump like that on non-fibrous substrates as well? It almost looks like her tarsal claws are getting stuck in the paper towel or something.
The video here is set to start at 0:27 but if you go to the beginning you can see that when she's jumping down from her enclosure that the jump is weak. It's because of low hemolymph pressure (hydraulic pressure). Except for that she seems normal.

Cororon

Arachnoknight
How often do you giver her water and food? Those worms should be good, but you could try a mixed diet for a while and maybe give her a fly or wax worm now and then. It's always good with a healthy balance of water, proteins and nutrients. :)

Jackoty

Arachnopeon
Hello thanks for the replys i very appreciate it!! and sorry for the late reply from my side.

So to reply all of you i will write a bit in this text. Its my very first Spider at all but something was feeling wrong with her jumping i was thinking maybe her eyes are bad or something i have a little sling in care and i must say i was shocked how crazy that little guy is and how he jumps not comparable to my lady but i still love her so much!! =) i didnt mind first why she does that because i was sure i will take good care to her but from time to time i felt sad because i saw hows the sling is doing it and her i think she did that also on plastic when she was in a plastic cup but i will test that without the paper towel hows she doing it and will make a video of it to show it again. for me i didnt think shes stuck on the paper towel because i saw that she could jump one time but it could be i need to look next time when im feeding her again. water/misting every 2 days with that i do also an cotton ball inside that ist wet and food it really depends every 2 or 3 days with a cricket now before i did every 2-3 days a mealworm but she was getting extrem fat so i was thinking nope that couldnt be healthy so i do instead now with normal sized crickets. but i will make an video again next time i feed her for sure also for myself to look if it would improve her jump or not. hope i could answer all have a good day! =)

Cororon

Arachnoknight
So to reply all of you i will write a bit in this text. Its my very first Spider at all but something was feeling wrong with her jumping i was thinking maybe her eyes are bad or something i have a little sling in care and i must say i was shocked how crazy that little guy is and how he jumps not comparable to my lady but i still love her so much!! =)
:D

You might read that spiders are individuals with their own personalities, traits and quirks, but it's a thing one needs to experience to really understand. Sometimes only the spider knows its reasons behind its behavior, sometimes it's instincts and sometimes it's genetics or the enviroment, food, water or something else. Our human brains are also a big part of it, our empathy, love, fears and care. We love our little critters, and when they show different personalities and traits we just love them more as individuals. :)

Your hoppy's eyes are excellent. In your video, when she turned to look at the camera I went "Typical hoppy! :lol: "

i didnt mind first why she does that because i was sure i will take good care to her but from time to time i felt sad because i saw hows the sling is doing it and her i think she did that also on plastic when she was in a plastic cup but i will test that without the paper towel hows she doing it and will make a video of it to show it again. for me i didnt think shes stuck on the paper towel because i saw that she could jump one time but it could be i need to look next time when im feeding her again. water/misting every 2 days with that i do also an cotton ball inside that ist wet and food it really depends every 2 or 3 days with a cricket now before i did every 2-3 days a mealworm but she was getting extrem fat so i was thinking nope that couldnt be healthy so i do instead now with normal sized crickets. but i will make an video again next time i feed her for sure also for myself to look if it would improve her jump or not. hope i could answer all have a good day! =)
The watering sounds good, and you are thinking correctly about the feeding. When she is fat you can wait longer before you feed her the next time.

I have been taking care of two adult male Xysticus sp. crab spiders lately. Mr. Crabs is bold and loves to catch and eat, while Mr. Spooky touched and poked his prey and got scared and ran away every time, so it took longer for him to catch and eat. Mr. Spooky passed away yesterday, sadly. But his time was up.

Last edited:

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Since she is eating and drinking well her hemolymph should be fine. I think the pressure in her hind legs is shut off a little too early when she jumps. It's a bit like the "ball sense" that makes some people great at catching balls while some people just can't even if they are strong and healthy. It could be a nerve thing that may or may not be genetic, so she is a lovely pet but might not be the best specimen for breeding (I hate to say that because as a being she's not less worth than anyone else). :) <3

Admin should add a heart emoticon!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
hemolymph pressure
tarsal claws are getting stuck in the paper towel
I think the pressure in her hind legs is shut off a little too early when she jumps.
Or excess pressure. Or overgrown/undergrown claws. Or something along the lines of muscular dystrophy interfering with the hydraulics. But the bottom line is healthy appetite and an otherwise robust animal = not in distress. Something to observe and possibly learn from.
I'm also wondering if the safety line isn't getting payed out efficiently.

Excellent video!

Jackoty

Arachnopeon
:D

You might read that spiders are individuals with their own personalities, traits and quirks, but it's a thing one needs to experience to really understand. Sometimes only the spider knows its reasons behind its behavior, sometimes it's instincts and sometimes it's genetics or the enviroment, food, water or something else. Our human brains are also a big part of it, our empathy, love, fears and care. We love our little critters, and when they show different personalities and traits we just love them more as individuals. :)

Your hoppy's eyes are excellent. In your video, when she turned to look at the camera I went "Typical hoppy! :lol: "

The watering sounds good, and you are thinking correctly about the feeding. When she is fat you can wait longer before you feed her the next time.

I have been taking care of two adult male Xysticus sp. crab spiders lately. Mr. Crabs is bold and loves to catch and eat, while Mr. Spooky touched and poked his prey and got scared and ran away every time, so it took longer for him to catch and eat. Mr. Spooky passed away yesterday, sadly. But his time was up.
Hi she didnt want eat since 5 days i tried it every other day but she was just not interested. today im gonna rehouse her in her final enclosure and ist my first time to use substrat and spaghnum moss like misting every 2 days also the ground? sorry for your loss =(

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Hi she didnt want eat since 5 days i tried it every other day but she was just not interested. today im gonna rehouse her in her final enclosure and ist my first time to use substrat and spaghnum moss like misting every 2 days also the ground? sorry for your loss =(
Maybe she has a molt coming? Or maybe she isn't feeling well. Do you know if she is mature? Yeah, misting ilike that is good. You don't have to spray close to where she is, because she'll see the water droplets and go there to drink. :) I hope she is well and will eat soon. It's difficult to know how spiders feel and think when we can't really communicate with them.

And thank you. Mr. Spooky refused to eat, and then I noticed that he had a small discharge on his butt, that is common for spiders when they are about to die. His legs started to curl, but I gave him water and he felt better for a day. Then he climbed a little and walked around, and suddenly he stood up on his hind legs and waved his front legs like he was defending himself, and then he just fell down and died. He felt it coming, poor guy. :( In a couple of weeks, when I release Mr. Crabs in the wild, I'm going to put Mr. Spooky on a leaf or something and have a little ceremony. ❤

Jackoty

Arachnopeon
Maybe she has a molt coming? Or maybe she isn't feeling well. Do you know if she is mature? Yeah, misting ilike that is good. You don't have to spray close to where she is, because she'll see the water droplets and go there to drink. :) I hope she is well and will eat soon. It's difficult to know how spiders feel and think when we can't really communicate with them.

And thank you. Mr. Spooky refused to eat, and then I noticed that he had a small discharge on his butt, that is common for spiders when they are about to die. His legs started to curl, but I gave him water and he felt better for a day. Then he climbed a little and walked around, and suddenly he stood up on his hind legs and waved his front legs like he was defending himself, and then he just fell down and died. He felt it coming, poor guy. :( In a couple of weeks, when I release Mr. Crabs in the wild, I'm going to put Mr. Spooky on a leaf or something and have a little ceremony. ❤
She molted on the 12 may the last food she ate was a cricket i tried today again she saw the cricket and when the cricket was coming to her she was backing up and then when he was coming closer to her then she attacked him but he escaped. i think when she was really hungry she would go after him and killed him i guess but the abdomen looks not that bad for me i think.. i rehoused her today and she maked her a new home i think it was last sunday she ate a cricket but i know that when a spider dont eat for 3 weeks its bad so its only a week now i think shes alright i hope. my other baby jumper he is absolutely crazy he just kills everything xD. i also have a video of her what i was saying here that she was not interested when shes doesnt eat like another week im gonna try a mealworm but until then i try with crickets i mean i just could hand it over her with a stick the prey but she should hunt it so i can see that she can jumps and so on =)