Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Jumping spider gender and breeding?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Camry, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Camry

Camry Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I have two jumping spiders, one I think is male and the other female (not entirely sure). I can’t remember what species they are either. I’ve been wanting to get some experience with breeding jumpers and I think it would be a cool project. Only problem is I’m not sure if they will breed this time of year or if they are even opposite genders. Any tips and clarification would be great!

Attached Files:

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

The well marked one should be an adult female, but I'm not sure about the other one.

3. Pepper

Pepper Arachnopeon

Are you even sure theyre the same species? The second one looks like a p regius (or the other one that looks exactly the same, cant remember right now) but the first one...doesnt

4. Camry

Camry Arachnopeon

I’m pretty sure they are the same species since my state sadly doesn’t have large jumpers like P regius so they are pretty much the same size.

5. Faeriedragon

Faeriedragon Arachnopeon Active Member

UK
    I personally wouldn’t breed them or attempt to unless you know what they are. Also if a Male is of an incompatible species the female will just eat him because she won’t respond to his courtship dance.

6. Jadestone

Jadestone Arachnopeon

The first one looks more like a Bronze jumping spider (Eris militaris) and the second looks to be a Regal or a Bold jumping spider. If the species are correct and they are adults, they are both female.

7. Faeriedragon

Faeriedragon Arachnopeon Active Member

UK
    I agree both look like females of different species, if put together the larger will just eat the smaller.

Also the only species that will breed with each other are Otiosus, Audax and Regius that I know of and those 3 look so similar I often wonder if they’re closer related.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.