Jumping spider enclosure idea.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I just thought this could be useful to those who keep or are thinking about keeping a jumping spider with a top opening enclosure. They often web up around the top which can make it difficult to take the lid off without damaging all their hard work.

I've knocked together this set up for a future jumper. I'm hoping it'll utilise the container siliconed near the top of the enclosure as a retreat therefore enabling me to take the lid off without disturbing the web.

It's obviously see through but with some web laid down I'm sure a jumper would feel secure.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I will be interested to see how this works out, good luck and keep us posted!

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Very nice. That retreat should be perfect for the jumper. Ive heard that one way to stop them from webbing up the area around the lid is to apply Vaseline or rubbing alcohol mixed with baby powder to the top of the enclosure. Not sure if it works and not sure if the spider will still be bale to hold on to a surface covered in Vaseline (I know ants and roaches certainly can't climb Vaseline)

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
What box did you use?? I love this idea, kinda wish I thought of it before ordering my girl.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I added bits of large diameter aquarium air line to the top of my cages. The male went in his for one day and the female ignored hers! Where did you get your sling pot from?
Inverts I've bought have come in them. TSS sell them for 19p. I'm sure you'll get them on eBay too.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Personally I don't think substrate is necessary with jumpers. They pretty much spend their entire lives climbing on vegetation and buildings, and substrate just makes it harder to clean the enclosure and observe the spider.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Personally I don't think substrate is necessary with jumpers. They pretty much spend their entire lives climbing on vegetation and buildings, and substrate just makes it harder to clean the enclosure and observe the spider.
Completely agree. I just fancied putting sub in with my 2.