Jumping spider eggsac??

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
alright well my mom caught this jumping spider for me a few weeks ago and i went to check on it today and i saw this big ball of white web and the darring jumping spider is sitting on it. Im assuming its a female and shes guarding her egg sac but i wanted to put pics up just to be sure. also how do i take care of her and her eggsac? right now shes just in an empty gatorade bottle.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! Care is super simple, basically you just leave the nest and the female alone. :) Feed/water her as you normally would, because the females do come out now and then to look for food. You'll see her crawling around, and as soon as she sees something, she'll go running back to defend the eggsac. They are more aggressive when guarding, so don't put your fingers near the nest, you can guarantee she'll try biting you.

You'll have post-embryo's in about two weeks and then they will leave the sac about three weeks after that when they have their first true molt. This is when they are ready to disperse and hunt.

Good luck! It's a nice looking sac. :)

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how will the babies eat and what will i do with all them? its too cold outside for them and they live in a gatorade bottle.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Flightless fruit flies were what my P. audax slings LOVED to eat. They'd dive bomb the flies from about 20 body lengths away.