jumping spider eggsac care help

Macy

Arachnopeon
im sorry this is so long but please help.
so about three weeks ago i rescued a mature female jumping spider (phidippus adumbratus). about a week ago she buried herself under some moss + dirt at the bottom corner of her enclosure and made a nest. a couple days later she laid eggs and made an egg sac. her enclosure was unsafe for slings so i had to move her with the nest into a jar. it was hard to get her out and i wanted to disturb her as little as possible so there was a lot of dirt, moss, and some wood that came with the nest when i took it out. the day after i moved her into the jar i tried to feed her but i found her dead which i thought was uncommon. i removed her body and i removed most of the moss, dirt, and wood from around the nest and kept the egg sac in the jar. i had kept her enclosure on a heating pad and did the same with the jar. i was wondering if the eggs could get too hot and whats the best plan to care for the egg sac. im really sad that she died and im hoping that the eggs are fertilized so that i could keep a sling or two and either release or sell the rest. thank you

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hmm. How cold was it where you were keeping the spider that you needed to use a heat pad? Also, how much ventilation+moisture was provided?

Without the mother to tend the eggs, I honestly don't know if they can survive. @sloth, any ideas?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Macy

Arachnopeon
Hmm. How cold was it where you were keeping the spider that you needed to use a heat pad? Also, how much ventilation+moisture was provided?

Without the mother to tend the eggs, I honestly don't know if they can survive. @sloth, any ideas?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

its cold outside and my house doesnt have a heater. i have a small portable heater in my room where ive been keeping the egg sac and i used the heating pad so it wasnt so cold + added humidity. for the jar i had cling wrap on top with many small holes poked in and a rubber band around the jar to secure the cling wrap. i dont have a mister/spray bottle so i use a paint brush that i dip in water then flick the bristles to get tiny droplets of water
does the mother have to be present for the slings to survive?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
How cold is cold? Sorry for the persistence, but a heat pad placed directly underneath the spider and the egg sac could very well have fried them when it wasn't necessary, especially if you are already using a heater in the room.
How often do you water them? That is quite an ingenious method by the way.

That I am not sure of. Hopefully someone more experienced than me will chime in. @World Of Phids, any ideas as to whether it is possible for the sac to survive without the mother?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Macy

Arachnopeon
How cold is cold? Sorry for the persistence, but a heat pad placed directly underneath the spider and the egg sac could very well have fried them when it wasn't necessary, especially if you are already using a heater in the room.
How often do you water them? That is quite an ingenious method by the way.

That I am not sure of. Hopefully someone more experienced than me will chime in. @World Of Phids, any ideas as to whether it is possible for the sac to survive without the mother?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

no worries, youre being very helpful. outside during the day it reaches mid 60’s (°F) and at night, mid to low 50’s. i dont leave the heater on all the time so sometimes the room can get pretty warm when i leave it on but if i dont use it (especially at night) it can get pretty cold. the heating pad is pretty low and when i check on the jar i always feel the bottom but it never gets too hot. i really hope i didnt fry her or the eggs

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
My P. adumbratus experiences temperatures into the low 60s (maybe sometimes high 50s), but I'm not sure if they can take it into the low 50s. That said, it could be either the heat pad that possibly did it, a lack of moisture caused by the fact of it being winter (especially dry air) coupled with the extra steady heat, or some other unknown factor. I'll do some searching and let you know if I come across anything. Otherwise both of the two previous members I tagged in are experienced with both rearing and breeding this species, so I defer to anything they might have to add.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Macy

Arachnopeon
My P. adumbratus experiences temperatures into the low 60s (maybe sometimes high 50s), but I'm not sure if they can take it into the low 50s. That said, it could be either the heat pad that possibly did it, a lack of moisture caused by the fact of it being winter (especially dry air) coupled with the extra steady heat, or some other unknown factor. I'll do some searching and let you know if I come across anything. Otherwise both of the two previous members I tagged in are experienced with both rearing and breeding this species, so I defer to anything they might have to add.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

thank you so much, youve been a great help :)

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
I haven't had this happen with jumping spiders before, but I did have a crab spider egg sac separate from the mother. I kept it in a small vial and then when it came time for it to hatch, I opened it with a safety pin and small tweezers. I suspect that your egg sac is a little bigger so you would probably have an easier time with it.

Dandre

Arachnopeon

Thanks,

Arthroverts
This could help.

I had a scorpionspider nest in one of my trees. Now the mother usually hangs around till the slings come out. In this case she was dead under some bark near the nest.
What I did was cut open the nest bag, catching all the eggs (about 30) in a small acrylic container.
Dropped 4 pieces of water saturated vermiculite in it and closed it up. Kept it at room temperature and aired them every morning and evening.
About a month later I released 27 slings in the same spot I found the nest. All happy and healthy.
Moisture, air, constant temperature. Sealed, sterile container.
All sorted