Jumping Spider Advice- Bad Molt??

jumpybois

Arachnopeon
I got my P. Regius jumper in July as an i4. She's since molted 4-5 times and everything had been going really well. This last molt took a lot longer than her previous ones- she was sealed up in a web tube for about 2 full weeks. I figured it was just taking longer since she was bigger now. Once she molted, I waited until she came out, which she did about 2 days later, to feed her. She refused food. I kept trying every few days but she wouldn't eat. She went back into her web for quite a few days, and only yesterday came back out. It's now been two weeks since she molted. I pre-killed a cricket today and put it in front of her, and she did sink her fangs into it for a bit, but not nearly as long as she usually would take to eat. She also seems very off. Her movements have become twitchy and jerky. Every time I get close to her enclosure or open the door, she starts twitching her legs and freaking out. She has also been having a hard time staying on the walls. I've seen her fall onto her back a few times, and she's been spending more time on the bottom of her enclosure in the substrate which is unlike her. Any idea what's up with her? Could she have had a bad molt? Maybe it affected her nervous system? I'd appreciate any advice you may have.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
yeah it sounds like a bad molt that effected her brain for whatever reason, her internals.
especially if you havent done anything else that can trigger a neurological issue.

if its a bad molt that may NOT kill her but she also may not ever recover.
however bad molts that effect nervous system are also usually caused by their genetics and a predisposition to that issue. this is a very uncommon occurance. horsehair worms are pretty rare but ive seen 5+ times more accounts of a horsehair worms than this issue.

do you know what the humidity and heat are for her?

I reccomend to move her to a smaller space, like a deli cup. and keep her drinking fluids. you can offer a qtip soaked in her drinking water every 4 days or so, and make sure to feed her injured prey since she will likely not be able to defend herself anymore.

jumpybois

Arachnopeon
yeah it sounds like a bad molt that effected her brain for whatever reason, her internals.
especially if you havent done anything else that can trigger a neurological issue.

if its a bad molt that may NOT kill her but she also may not ever recover.
however bad molts that effect nervous system are also usually caused by their genetics and a predisposition to that issue. this is a very uncommon occurance. horsehair worms are pretty rare but ive seen 5+ times more accounts of a horsehair worms than this issue.

do you know what the humidity and heat are for her?

I reccomend to move her to a smaller space, like a deli cup. and keep her drinking fluids. you can offer a qtip soaked in her drinking water every 4 days or so, and make sure to feed her injured prey since she will likely not be able to defend herself anymore.
The temperature has been between 70-80 degrees. I'm located in New Jersey where it's pretty humid, so I don't keep her substrate damp for extra humidity- just mist one side of the enclosure every day or two. I haven't changed any aspects of her care since getting her. I did try giving her water on a qtip but she seemed to be afraid of it. Maybe I'll try again. I'll also try to find something smaller to move her into. Thanks for the advice

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
The temperature has been between 70-80 degrees. I'm located in New Jersey where it's pretty humid, so I don't keep her substrate damp for extra humidity- just mist one side of the enclosure every day or two. I haven't changed any aspects of her care since getting her. I did try giving her water on a qtip but she seemed to be afraid of it. Maybe I'll try again. I'll also try to find something smaller to move her into. Thanks for the advice
I see, howdy neighbor. I'm round these parts too.

Unfortunately these are a tropical species.
every day or two is definitely not enough for a regius to molt, babies might have an easier time at lower humidity since they are so small and their molt is over quickly, but they need 80% humidity to Guarantee a successful molt and most folks dont even get that from misting twice daily.
Regius are native to florida, and are the only species in the US that you *cannot* get away with normal humidity levels, pretty much.

Every other sp would probably do fine. Audax, putnami, texanus, otiosus. But not regius. i hear mismolts happen every single day with regius, i can count the number of mismolts of other sp on my hands.