jumpers and heating

ivalice

Arachnopeon
hi everyone! this might seem like a bit of a redundant question, but i'm brand new to all of this. i'm looking at jumpers from a specific breeder, and she raises them with heaters at about 25C. i live in the uk, where the indoor temperature normally stays around 20-23C. the only thing i'm worried about is if it goes a little below in winter, and the shock of transitioning between 25 and 21 (our usual temp). would it truly be worth getting a heat pad? are there any that are 15x15x20cm or thereabouts? will it affect the springtails and possible isopods i'll have?

thank you all in advance. <3

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
it depends on the species. for regius or hyllus, having heat is definitely reccomended. you can easily get an 8 watt low heat reptile mat, i put mine on the wall or back of the shelf and just put the enclosure a couple inches away to bring the temp up safely. putting it under or on the enclosure is not as safe.

and yes, springtails do better with more humidity and more warmth (the most common springtails are tropicals)

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
hi everyone! this might seem like a bit of a redundant question, but i'm brand new to all of this. i'm looking at jumpers from a specific breeder, and she raises them with heaters at about 25C. i live in the uk, where the indoor temperature normally stays around 20-23C. the only thing i'm worried about is if it goes a little below in winter, and the shock of transitioning between 25 and 21 (our usual temp). would it truly be worth getting a heat pad? are there any that are 15x15x20cm or thereabouts? will it affect the springtails and possible isopods i'll have?

thank you all in advance. <3
I was just listening to a podcast about preparing tarantulas for winter, although I mostly have jumpers and the dude said to try these ideas:
Move to a warmer room if possible
Move the enclosure a tad bit away from windows especially on really cold days (I know you guys don't get much snow/ice but see if that helps?)
Move the enclosure up higher (as hot air rises naturally)
Make sure the enclosure is not being exposed to any drafts like nearby windows
If that does not work, yes you can try a heatmat but do not do not put it under your enclosure as egyptiancrow said. This will overheat your spider.
Also make sure that you are paying closer attention to your humidity levels and waterings more often if needed, especially offering water, because the higher the heat, the more your enclosure will dry out.
Hope this helps 😄

Last edited:

ivalice

Arachnopeon
it depends on the species. for regius or hyllus, having heat is definitely reccomended. you can easily get an 8 watt low heat reptile mat, i put mine on the wall or back of the shelf and just put the enclosure a couple inches away to bring the temp up safely. putting it under or on the enclosure is not as safe.

and yes, springtails do better with more humidity and more warmth (the most common springtails are tropicals)
thanks so much! gotta make sure i don't damage my wall paint, i have an open backed shelf...

ivalice

Arachnopeon
I was just listening to a podcast about preparing tarantulas for winter, although I mostly have jumpers and the dude said to try these ideas:
Move to a warmer room if possible
Move the enclosure a tad bit away from windows especially on really cold days (I know you guys don't get much snow/ice but see if that helps?)
Move the enclosure up higher (as hot air rises naturally)
Make sure the enclosure is not being exposed to any drafts like nearby windows
If that does not work, yes you can try a heatmat but do not do not put it under your enclosure as egyptiancrow said. This will overheat your spider.
Also make sure that you are paying closer attention to your humidity levels and waterings more often if needed, especially offering water, because the higher the heat, the more your enclosure will dry out.
Hope this helps 😄
you think it's cool to put it under if i have a little gap between the bottom and the heat mat? i might have to put the box on stilts anyway so it reaches the light well enough (using the same lights i'll have for plants and i can't adjust the height cuz it'll be underneath the shelf above it)

regalpaws

Arachnoknight
you think it's cool to put it under if i have a little gap between the bottom and the heat mat? i might have to put the box on stilts anyway so it reaches the light well enough (using the same lights i'll have for plants and i can't adjust the height cuz it'll be underneath the shelf above it)
Yes, I think so. I remember him saying you can put the heat mat underneath something like a piece of styrofoam and it should be ok. Or even a towel maybe. But, if you do so, either way, make sure you're watching the humidity and watering enough. You just want the heater to bring the enclosure up to a normal level, not overheating the spider. They don't have the brain cells to move away from something hot lol. What is your enclosure temp at now anyways without the heater?

ivalice

Arachnopeon
Yes, I think so. I remember him saying you can put the heat mat underneath something like a piece of styrofoam and it should be ok. Or even a towel maybe. But, if you do so, either way, make sure you're watching the humidity and watering enough. You just want the heater to bring the enclosure up to a normal level, not overheating the spider. They don't have the brain cells to move away from something hot lol. What is your enclosure temp at now anyways without the heater?
don't have one yet! it'd just be sitting at 21 on a normal day, not getting much lower (but sometimes it can hit 18 in winter in this room, which was my concern...) thanks though, i always wondered how you'd get a space between like that without awkwardly setting it up on some stilts LOL