Jumper hasn't shown itself since i got it 4 days ago

Spyko

Arachnopeon
I got a new female regal jumping spider 5 days ago and ever since the day after she has sealed herself inside her cocoon and not shown herself since. I had a P. regius in the past but she was older and never took this long to molt. Given that she hasn't eaten with me it could have been 6 days since her last meal. I had seen her drinking when i first got her so its been 3-4 days since she drank.

Since she is only on her 3rd molt she is still in a cup sized enclosure with a leaf and fake plant and a small led lamp on a timer. The cocoon was thin enough that i could see her yesterday and could see no molt but she was still moving with a plump abdomen.Now though her web is too thick for me to see through and i'm reluctant to investigate further if she is in molt and i cause too much stress.

Should i leave her longer before doing anything? Or should i put a fruit fly in there to see if it entices her out? Setup pictures below. 20220702_184519.jpg 20220702_184515.jpg

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry, lots to unpack with this. For 1, you are keeping a spider in a fking starbucks cup? Are you serious dude? If you wanna be in this hobby do the bare minimum and go to Walmart and buy a pack of mason jars... for 2, you have your jumping spider on a heat lamp?? The only lighting jumpers need is natural light from sun, through windows or whatever. My audax gets daily sunlight from behind my closed blinds. There is no need for a lamp, I am curious to know why you can't put it near natural sunlight. Also, a heat lamp will not replicate the natural UV rays of the sun. By depriving your jumper of natural UV sunlight, you are slowly making it die faster.

So- leave her alone for now, you messing with her hammock will only make things worse. These are spiders not humans, sometimes we just have to wait on them. One of my audax took 2 weeks to molt once.

edit: I realize now its inside the bigger enclosure, but theres just such better things you could have used like a simple mason jar. I don't understand you dude but its all good

Last edited:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Sorry, lots to unpack with this. For 1, you are keeping a spider in a fking starbucks cup? Are you serious dude? If you wanna be in this hobby do the bare minimum and go to Walmart and buy a pack of mason jars... for 2, you have your jumping spider on a heat lamp?? The only lighting jumpers need is natural light from sun, through windows or whatever. My audax gets daily sunlight from behind my closed blinds. There is no need for a lamp, I am curious to know why you can't put it near natural sunlight. Also, a heat lamp will not replicate the natural UV rays of the sun. By depriving your jumper of natural UV sunlight, you are slowly making it die faster.

So- leave her alone for now, you messing with her hammock will only make things worse. These are spiders not humans, sometimes we just have to wait on them. One of my audax took 2 weeks to molt once.

edit: I realize now its inside the bigger enclosure, but theres just such better things you could have used like a simple mason jar. I don't understand you dude but its all good
Calm down. Seriously. What’s wrong with it being in a cup like this? I’ve seen so many people use cups like this for their slings. Why is it all the sudden so horribly wrong?

And about the sling. Four days doesn’t seem too long depending on age and how full the sling is. Wait until it comes out of the nest on its own to feed it. Keep humidity up, could be molting.

Spyko

Arachnopeon

I have seen many jumper keepers keep slings in these types of cups? And i had always been told it was so as to not destroy jumpers webs which are often made in the corners. I also see very little practical differences between a masons jar and a jumper. She's obviously only in that for a couple molts till she has grown.

While i dont know much about jumpers specifically i'm going to say your wrong about the window and natural light, direct sunlight sounds like a good recipe for cooked spider. And your comment on UV rays makes no sense, if your jumpers by a window then 100% of uv rays is blocked completely by modern windows, additionally most of the functions sunlight has in mammals and herps doesn't seem applicable to spiders? I also have never heard of uv being recommended for arachnids ever. You also said you thought it was a heat lamp? Its not its clearly a non heat emmiting LED.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
The cup is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY HOBBY STANDARD, if not HIGHER for an i4 sling jumping spider.

Seriously, if youre going to be rude at least know what you are talking about.

Your keep is PERFECT, op, please dont worry about it. the setup is great. She is in a molt hammock and its best to leave her be until she comes out :) If a jumper is not leaving the hammock during the day it is 100% because of a molt, though they might stay in more if they are very cold as well.

for a regius youll want the humidity nice and high, id spray the inside of the lid as well as down so the humidity stays up. You can also leave fruit flies in overnight for her to snack on as she is most likely to sneak eat rather than come out and hunt proper, fruit flies are safe feeders to leave in unlike crickets.

You definitely dont want to mess with her too much beyond providing humidity

She will molt and itll look like theres 2 spiders in there, if you can see. That will be her old exo, or "old pajamas" as i like to call em. Feel free to tag or message if anything concerns you.

Spyko

Arachnopeon
The cup is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY HOBBY STANDARD, if not HIGHER for an i4 sling jumping spider.

Seriously, if youre going to be rude at least know what you are talking about.

Your keep is PERFECT, op, please dont worry about it. the setup is great. She is in a molt hammock and its best to leave her be until she comes out :) If a jumper is not leaving the hammock during the day it is 100% because of a molt, though they might stay in more if they are very cold as well.

for a regius youll want the humidity nice and high, id spray the inside of the lid as well as down so the humidity stays up. You can also leave fruit flies in overnight for her to snack on as she is most likely to sneak eat rather than come out and hunt proper, fruit flies are safe feeders to leave in unlike crickets.

You definitely dont want to mess with her too much beyond providing humidity

She will molt and itll look like theres 2 spiders in there, if you can see. That will be her old exo, or "old pajamas" as i like to call em. Feel free to tag or message if anything concerns you.
Ok, that all makes sense, she was peeking out a couple hours ago so i put a few flies in for her.

About the cold comment, i had seen online that 20-25 degrees is good for a P. regius as long as it doesn't dip into the teens. I mainly keep amphibians and the temperature is tightly controlled at 20° for my temperature sensitive ones, rarely dipping above or below this. Is that too cold? I have other places i can move her where it will be closer to 25 if she needs to be a little warmer.

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
Ok, that all makes sense, she was peeking out a couple hours ago so i put a few flies in for her.

About the cold comment, i had seen online that 20-25 degrees is good for a P. regius as long as it doesn't dip into the teens. I mainly keep amphibians and the temperature is tightly controlled at 20° for my temperature sensitive ones, rarely dipping above or below this. Is that too cold? I have other places i can move her where it will be closer to 25 if she needs to be a little warmer.
20 can be a lot chillier, yes, youll want 24~ to 30~ for them to thrive!

Last edited:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
20 can be a lot chillier, yes, youll want 24~ to 40~ for them to thrive!
Wow I didn’t know regius can thrive in 40°C. It’s about that temperature here and all the jumpers wait until the evenings to come out. I assumed they were too hot. Maybe I’ve been looking in the wrong places. 🔍
Thanks for the info

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
Wow I didn’t know regius can thrive in 40°C. It’s about that temperature here and all the jumpers wait until the evenings to come out. I assumed they were too hot. Maybe I’ve been looking in the wrong places. 🔍
Thanks for the info
i totally meant 30 not 40, my typos pick a great time to show up!

in the direct sun, 30 c is a lot hotter than inside, where there is no specific heat source and its an ambient temp! also if its dry outside that will also keep them away. regius are from florida and they thrive in tropical conditions!

its just josh

Arachnopeon

A mason jar would actually be worse (in fact it's to be avoided as stagnant air is lethal) because air flow is extremely important, and I would seriously consider re-educating yourself before you so unjustifiably insult another keeper's husbandry.

To the OP: I would recommend poking in a bit more ventilation holes on the side once they're out and about again.

Spyko

Arachnopeon
20 can be a lot chillier, yes, youll want 24~ to 30~ for them to thrive!
Ok, its all worked out nicely as i had a corn snake escape a couple weeks ago, damn escape artists, and i have just converted her viv into a sort of insulated and ventilated warm area. I set the temps to 27 and put her inside (in her current tank lol) not directly under the heating, should be a good temp? I'll be boarding a tarantula for a year so it's terrarium can go in there too and should be all good and warm in the high twenties for them, thanks.