Jseng's Centipede Collection

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Very nice! Do you keep many millipedes? I love mantids and millies.

jseng

Arachnosquire
Neat collection!
Thanks so much!

Very nice! Do you keep many millipedes? I love mantids and millies.
I enjoy keeping millipedes, though I have far fewer of them than centipedes. At the moment, I have colonies of Chicobolus spinigerus "Ebony Morph" and Spirostreptus sp. #1, and several Epibolus pulchripes specimens.

I've got a small one but I never knew it was a different morph. how long is that one?
Yeah, polys come in so many shapes, sizes, and colors that it is really quite amazing. The specimen in that pic, though, is about 5" or so.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Nice! Are your Epibolus pulchripes breeding? That's one on my wish list.

jseng

Arachnosquire
Nice! Are your Epibolus pulchripes breeding? That's one on my wish list.
Not to my knowledge, unfortunately. I have two huge adult females and one tiny male who doesn't seem to be growing properly (he's about 1/4th the size of his sisters and I haven't seen him molt for almost 9 months), so I'm kind of worried that I'm not going to get a second generation out of them (or if I do, that the plings will be weak due to the male's potential genetic weakness) :-(

Do you collect mantids as well? They are probably my second favorite invert group after centipedes. Some people don't like the fact that mantids have much shorter life spans than more commonly kept invert orders, but I actually prefer it, as it allows me to experience new species on a constant basis.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Not to my knowledge, unfortunately. I have two huge adult females and one tiny male who doesn't seem to be growing properly (he's about 1/4th the size of his sisters and I haven't seen him molt for almost 9 months), so I'm kind of worried that I'm not going to get a second generation out of them (or if I do, that the plings will be weak due to the male's potential genetic weakness) :-(

Do you collect mantids as well? They are probably my second favorite invert group after centipedes. Some people don't like the fact that mantids have much shorter life spans than more commonly kept invert orders, but I actually prefer it, as it allows me to experience new species on a constant basis.
Such a bummer about the Epibolus. Did you have their parents? What kind of lifespan do they have? Such a lovely pede.

I have only kept a few mantids and nothing too exotic. I wanted to get some different species this spring but I will be gone a month this summer and I don't have a mantid sitter. It's hard farming out odd animals.

I hope against odds you can find babies!

Jp1776

Arachnopeon
I enjoy keeping millipedes, though I have far fewer of them than centipedes. At the moment, I have colonies of Chicobolus spinigerus "Ebony Morph" and Spirostreptus sp. #1, and several Epibolus pulchripes specimens.
Do you have any photos of the ebony morph?

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Stunning lil gems! Maybe in the distant future Il be able to snag one :wideyed: might not be for awhile tho :grumpy:

jseng

Arachnosquire
Unidentified AZ sp., but potentially an unusual Scolopendra viridis or Hemiscolopendra marginata morph? This is a female who laid of clutch of plings that looked like tiny, living strands of black hair.

Attachments

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
These are pics of old Scolopendra aztecorum (Aztec Ghost Centipede) and Scolopendra sp. “Hispaniola” (Hispaniola Red Giant Centipede) specimens that I longer own (but wish I did!).
Quick question, where in the name of god did you find your Scolopendra alternans “Red Giant Hispaniola”!? I can’t find them anywhere in the states! Btw, impressive collection :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
These are pics of old Scolopendra aztecorum (Aztec Ghost Centipede) and Scolopendra sp. “Hispaniola” (Hispaniola Red Giant Centipede) specimens that I longer own (but wish I did!).
Did you sell or did they die? I have a Scolopendra aztecorum the "green stage" right now. Cool pede.