Jseng's Centipede Collection

jseng

Arachnosquire
Thanks, PK! Don't know how tight on space you are, but pedes can be kept in much smaller enclosures than you would probably guess. And if you're also holding back bc of money, time, energy, etc., centipedes are actually super low maintenance, as even the youngsters can be fed just once a week (and the older ones can go without food for weeks at a time), they don't require a water dish (as long as you're good about maintaining humidity), and you really just need to make sure their substrate never completely dries out.

In any case, here's that gem of a centipede I mentioned earlier, my Alipes multicostis (Cameroon Flag-Tailed Centipede)

Attachments

jseng

Arachnosquire
That is a beast of an Ethmostigmus trigonopodus, don't think I've seen one that size before!
I wish I could say it's actually as huge as it looks in the pic. However, I think that's mostly a forced-perspective-based optical illusion, bc I held the cork bark with its top pointed toward the camera. In reality, the pede is about 3" BL, though I'll concede that like many E. trigs, it's a chunky little guy for sure :)

Love that Polymorpha "Rusty Red"
Yeah, those Rusty Reds are the biggest and baddest polys I've ever personally worked with, but one of these days I'll get around to buying one of mastigoproctus's "Rio Grande Giants," so I suspect I may change my tune then.

Love the flag tail!
Thanks, man, I totally agree! Although my favorite pede is still my Hispaniola Red Giant, thatlittle Alipes is a very close second!

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I wish I could say it's actually as huge as it looks in the pic. However, I think that's mostly a forced-perspective-based optical illusion, bc I held the cork bark with its top pointed toward the camera. In reality, the pede is about 3" BL, though I'll concede that like many E. trigs, it's a chunky little guy for sure :)
If you can make a 3" centipede look THAT size...then I think you have serious photography skills that would fetch a high premium with men seeking to enhance their Tinder profile shots :astonished::astonished::astonished:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Great pedes, I'm so jealous. I'll just try to be happy with my morsitans, rubripes, and assortment of cormos.

jseng

Arachnosquire
Scolopendra mirabilis (Tanzanian Neon-Blue Leg Centipede)

PS sorry, don't know why my pic keeps posting upside down

Attachments

Last edited:

lovebugfarm

Arachnopeon
Here's a pic of a R. longipes that jseng produced last year. Thought he would enjoy seeing how they have grown. Still have 9 out of the original 11.

Attachments

jseng

Arachnosquire
Awesome, can't believe how much they've grown! Do you still have them living communally?

lovebugfarm

Arachnopeon
Right nearly adult size after a year. Although I havnt ever seen good pics of adults where you can tell how big they are. I raised them all separately but have been thinking of putting them together. I raised one in a container that I raise isopods and rolypolys and it's actually one of the smaller ones however it seems there are less isopods than rolypolys now. Just a little fun observation.

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I have soft spots in my heart for millipedes, whip spiders, and mantids, but my centipede collection is my pride and joy!

In any case, next up is my other Scolopendra heros arizonensis, though this one is a Banded Morph (Madrean Banded heros)
This one's my favorite, I love the mild coloration.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
And then there's me... with a single centipede... :sorry:

Anyway, I would love to have an Akymnopellis! Nice pedes all around!

jseng

Arachnosquire
What substrate do you use? I like how it looks!
Thanks, I use a combination of 60-70% coco fiber and 40-30% sand, with just a bit of chopped up sphagnum added to the mixture, and clumps of damp moss placed on top of the substrate.