Jseng's Centipede Collection

jseng

Arachnosquire
Been meaning to start a thread documenting my centipede collection for a while. This will be a work in progress, but hope you enjoy nonetheless!

First up is my Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (Kenyan [True] Blue Leg Centipede)

Attachments

jseng

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I have soft spots in my heart for millipedes, whip spiders, and mantids, but my centipede collection is my pride and joy!

In any case, next up is my other Scolopendra heros arizonensis, though this one is a Banded Morph (Madrean Banded heros)

Attachments

Last edited:

Anthony Jensen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome man! You have every pede that I want. Love the US natives... Especially the blotched heros. Keep posting pics!

jseng

Arachnosquire
Thanks, the kind words are much appreciated, Anthony! And as much as I love exotic pedes, I also totally agree that we're privileged to have some pretty awesome natives in the good old US of A! In fact, I think heros are some of best display centipedes period: they're big, colorful, active, mellow and they tend to spend less time burrowed than lots of pede species, so what's not to love?

Anyway, I've got a few more pedes for y'all. One is a gem, but before I share that, I'll whet your appetites with my baby Rhysida longipes (Olive Long-Tailed Centipede)

Attachments

Last edited:

jseng

Arachnosquire
And here's a pede I never ID'd, though it was sold to me as a Scolopendra sp. "Sumatra Golden Giant". Before I saw it in the flesh, I guessed it was a subspinipes given the origin, but even though it was long (~5" true BL) and a straight killer, it was actually super thin with more of a greenish-brown body and red head than showed up in photos. Unfortunately, it died soon after I acquired it, and its body got almost entirely consumed by isopods by the time I found it, so these are the only photos I have. My guess would be that it was a Scolopendra subcrustalis, but if you've got any ideas on the species, I'd love to hear them!

Attachments

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, heck of a collection you have there! I've always wanted to get into centipedes, but haven't had the space to really get them going. I've kept a couple polymorpha, but that has been about it.