joossa's Carnivorous Plants

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Ah! I see. Very good starting selection!
Do you have an unheated garage or storage shed? You could try that. I have little experience with alternative methods for dormancy. I've read people multch them in a bigger container when it's too cold out. Pine needles.
From what I know, giving them some decent airflow and not letting them get too dry or moist is key. I keep mine on the drier side during dormancy to avoid fungal issues. That's why people pretreat for fungus if using the fridge method.

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is very cold hardy since it grows in more northern latitudes.

Sorry!! Probably doesn't help... I know it can be tricky.
I do have an unheated crawl space but wackily the access to it is underneath our pantry, so for logistical reasons I don't get down there a lot. Next winter I'll likely tough it out and take a few trips down to check temperatures.

No worries, you've been really helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time!!

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Wow those plants they are amazing seen stuff like that on TV but didn't even occur to me I could grow them myself...any idea if that would be possible in the uk or will I have to keep them indoors? You have started something joossa now off to research the crap out of this 🤣🤣🤣 My steatoda grossa happens to be called Lady Flytrap aka Venus ( named by Ungoliant) its a sign 😆 be rude not to grow one now 😁

rock

Arachnoknight
I love how people just gush over Latin names here :DDD

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Wow those plants they are amazing seen stuff like that on TV but didn't even occur to me I could grow them myself...any idea if that would be possible in the uk or will I have to keep them indoors? You have started something joossa now off to research the crap out of this 🤣🤣🤣 My steatoda grossa happens to be called Lady Flytrap aka Venus ( named by Ungoliant) its a sign 😆 be rude not to grow one now 😁
They can be grown anywhere if you're willing to buy grow lights! I'm sure there are people in the UK growing them.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I have grow lights for a lemon tree I have so not a problem for that , been looking today I think I will definitely take the plunge and get some they are to cool not to atleast try 😁

joossa

Arachnoknight
I have grow lights for a lemon tree I have so not a problem for that , been looking today I think I will definitely take the plunge and get some they are to cool not to atleast try 😁
Go for it! There are so many types of carnivorous plants that do well in different conditions. Do your research and see what may work best for you and the growing conditions you can offer. Sarracenia are my favorite becuase there are so many species and hybrids and above all, are extremely easy to care for in my outdoor conditions. A good book is The Savage Garden. I think Barry Rice also has multiple relevant books on growing as well.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Ty hun I shall look for that book and the author any info is definitely appreciated I did start looking up sp I could grow outdoors here n the uk and sarrancenias were on that list along with drosera, pinguiciula, Darlingtonias californica, and nepenthes, so I have a good range to check out and start with 😊 I will definitely get sarrancenias through as you have recommended them 😊 thank you again.