Joining the Pampho cult

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just ordered a sp. Machala female. I never was too interested in the genus for some reason. But recently I've been reading up on them and they sound awesome. Just what I'm looking for right now. Big, fast growing, characterful.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I got my two Pamphos (along with about a dozen other T's, when I tripled the size of my collection to prepare for a presentation I gave on South American tarantulas for a Geography Day event at the library) I really didn't appreciate them that much. They seemed pretty generic compared to, say, the T. stirmi, A. geniculata, C. cyanopubescens, P. irminia, or A. versicolor. They were at the top of the list of tarantulas that I might sell or trade after the event was over. I've gotta say, though, they've really grown on me! Great feeding response, and after one molt apiece they're getting even prettier. I'm not even disappointed that at least one of them appears to be male! Usually I prefer female tarantulas because of the longer lifespan, but the colors on the male Pamphobeteus sp. Ecuador purple are amazing!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the revolution. I have 4 Pamphobeteus including a machalla and I 100% love these things and I will be adding more species as the next 12 months unfold

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Having an appreciation for Pamphos shows a sophisticated taste. Collectors/breeders 'in the know' have always regarded them highly. Big, beautiful, active, and a great feeding response.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I love the kind of dorky long legged appearance of slings and juvies..

Pamphos hit prey with an enthusiasm and power that few species can match.. Damn the hairs though!

cold blood

Staff member
As youngsters they gain so much size with each molt that its really like a whole new spider. As a larger spider, my nigricolor goes through color changes...after molting, she's black, as she nears molt, she turns this beautiful deep chocolaty brown...but they never lose that feeding response. Resized_20160903_205133 (1).jpg

Truly one of the "great" genera out there.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
As youngsters they gain so much size with each molt that its really like a whole new spider. As a larger spider, my nigricolor goes through color changes...after molting, she's black, as she nears molt, she turns this beautiful deep chocolaty brown...but they never lose that feeding response. View attachment 220409

Truly one of the "great" genera out there.
Looks like a theraphosa..

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Welcome to the Pampho Cult, initiation will be sticking your head into a flicky adult female's enclosure for ten minutes. Good luck, I hope you don't end up like Tim.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Dang that's pretty. I was thinking about getting a sp Machala and I think that may have sealed it as the next 1 I get
Look up a MM P. sp Machala the are sooo purple!! The MM's of this genus seem to get all the peacock feathers LOL. I cant wait to watch his transformation, only time I wasnt' a little let down discovering I had a male.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the Pampho Cult, initiation will be sticking your head into a flicky adult female's enclosure for ten minutes. Good luck, I hope you don't end up like Tim.
Hmm, I wasn't aware there would be an initiation ritual...

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
When I got my two Pamphos (along with about a dozen other T's, when I tripled the size of my collection to prepare for a presentation I gave on South American tarantulas for a Geography Day event at the library) I really didn't appreciate them that much. They seemed pretty generic compared to, say, the T. stirmi, A. geniculata, C. cyanopubescens, P. irminia, or A. versicolor. They were at the top of the list of tarantulas that I might sell or trade after the event was over. I've gotta say, though, they've really grown on me! Great feeding response, and after one molt apiece they're getting even prettier. I'm not even disappointed that at least one of them appears to be male! Usually I prefer female tarantulas because of the longer lifespan, but the colors on the male Pamphobeteus sp. Ecuador purple are amazing!
Is it Pampho sp.South Ecuador?? I have a lonely female....

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it Pampho sp.South Ecuador?? I have a lonely female....
I don't know - the guy I got it from (Craigslist) just said he was told it was sp. Ecuador purple from whoever he got it from. In any case, he isn't mature yet - he's just starting to show the purple since his last molt. He's probably around 5"-6" DLS right now Pamphobeteus sp Ecuador post molt 2.jpg .