Joe xhexdx'd me

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I'm just kidding Joe.

Both of my A. versicolor slings died the other day. Same day. One I got from Bryan Ollerich a few months ago and the other I got from Jason. How strange is it that they both died the same day? The one I got from Jason had just molted a few days prior and my 1st versi (Skittles) was just about ready to molt. I guess that will teach me to cross-ventilate from now on -- right Joe? ;) I've already got new containers with more ventilation that one could imagine and jungle moss to help maintain the humidity better.

Wish me luck on all new Avics I get from now on, please.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck!

I hear a lot of cases about versi's dying. I guess it's that people tend to get them as slings more often because of the price? Well, it's probably the next T I'm getting....... so hopefully it'll pass the sling stage ok.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Good luck!

I hear a lot of cases about versi's dying. I guess it's that people tend to get them as slings more often because of the price? Well, it's probably the next T I'm getting....... so hopefully it'll pass the sling stage ok.
I had my first versi sling for several months and it seemed fine - up until the day it died. I guess you just never know. Good luck with yours.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had my first versi sling for several months and it seemed fine - up until the day it died. I guess you just never know. Good luck with yours.
stuff like this makes me really nervous about my own versi. now i'm almost afraid i might fuss it to death. darned if you do, darned if you don't...

good luck with future versi. they are so darn cute, even when tiny!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
According to a couple member on here crossventilation shouldn't make a difference. I've decided to safe it, and have crossventilation, and my all my avics, with the exception of one who came to me in an enclosure that was molded shut, are thriving!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear it Toni.. I just lost my 3" confirmed female T. gigas.. :barf: Just confirmed it.. She just molted 2 days ago.. Looked in today...& she was gone.. :(

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww, snap, that's pooey, Tommy=(

So is your loss, Toni.. It's major suckage when they wee ones die =(

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to hear it Toni.. I just lost my 3" confirmed female T. gigas.. :barf: Just confirmed it.. She just molted 2 days ago.. Looked in today...& she was gone.. :(
Tommy, Dang, bro. Sorry to hear! Any idea as to what might have happened?

:(

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Toni, Aw shux, got caught up in the different flow of the thread earlier on, my bad!

Sorry to hear about your two versi's. Good luck on all future slings. This is one reason why I've yet to keep the species. Maybe one day..........

Terry

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
No worries, Terry. Thanks for the condolences. I have already ordered a 1.5" A. versicolor sling that will be here next week. I'm also going to get a 2" from Bryan Ollerich at the next Michigan Reptile Show (next weekend). Also getting a couple A. avicularia slings from Tommy next week. I'm not giving up.. just changing the environment I provided for the first two. Hopefully I have a better outcome this time. I don't have any issues with the A. avicularia I have now, but I bought her at 3" so that is probably why.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Makes me nervous for all my little Avics. Maybe that's why I never break down and buy the minatrix- somehow I'll get the SADS curse, and then I'd be extra crushed. I hope we make it to the show...

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To bad :( For both of ya'll!

Hopefully ordering a versi myself on Friday. Didn't have any issues with the multiple Avic. purpurea slings i've had in the past.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I had a versi die on me today. Kept just like my other 3 that are doing great. About 5 holes with a tack on the vial lid. Odd thing was that it had deformed feet. Also wasnt eating for 2 weeks. No big pads like there supposed to have. The claws were sticking out in an odd manner too. :?

Normal healthy versi from same sac.

Sac mate RIP...

Look at left leg #3 you can see the pads are misshaped. The rear legs apear to be somewhat normal but the front are supposed to have large pads. They look just like the back. The spinneretts were also stuck in an outward position.

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know, I find people blaming cross ventalation of Avic deaths very...well unsettling. Mainly because I have never done that with any of the Avics I have raised. Never lost one yet.

I am starting to think it isnt ventalation at all, and maybe there is truly a avic disorder, that causes death. I know people talk of SADS but maybe there is more behind it?

Either way, I am very sorry for your losses.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I'm sorry for your loss, Agent. It's always sad to lose a T.

Cody.. I don't know what it is. I wish I did. It drives me crazy not knowing. I thought I took really good care of them - kept their humidity up and had lots of ventilation (just not cross ventilation). So the only thing I can think to do is add the cross-ventilation and see if that helps.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I'm sorry for your loss, Agent. It's always sad to lose a T.

Cody.. I don't know what it is. I wish I did. It drives me crazy not knowing. I thought I took really good care of them - kept their humidity up and had lots of ventilation (just not cross ventilation). So the only thing I can think to do is add the cross-ventilation and see if that helps.
It cant hurt to try but i dont think thats as big a factor. Mine was on its way out for 3 weeks. It didnt eat and couldnt climb. It layed at the bottom of the vial scrunched up. I believe its not unreasonable to say that some just are not born to make it. :( I think that alot of people have experienced this sudden death on both sides of the cross ventalation issue.

Dal

Arachnopeon
i lost a versi sling a few months ago. it allways suck when they die :(

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It really isn't any different than with people. Some die at birth,develop diseases that end their lives prematurely,etc.Then some live top be 80+...It's life,some die,and some live. It is like that with every organism on Earth.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
It really isn't any different than with people. Some die at birth,develop diseases that end their lives prematurely,etc.Then some live top be 80+...It's life,some die,and some live. It is like that with every organism on Earth.
Yeah, I know. I just thought it was nuts that both slings died the same day after seeming to be just fine.