Jen Vegas C. Sculpturatus Progression Thread

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
even more fascinating! A male scorpion carrying a baby on its back... I've never heard of such a thing until now!

JenVegas

Arachnosquire
Nala's babies are still growing, but haven't hit 3i yet. Or, at least I haven't seen any molts.

Pineapple's babies are moving off her back, along with Potato, so that's exciting. I keep the babies in a nursery jar just because it's easier to keep track of them.

And one of Nala's babies is so cute, showing this dead cricket who's boss.
20200929_085411.jpg

JenVegas

Arachnosquire
So all the babies except for 2 have been sold. I kept one of Nala's babies, and named it Feisty, because it's super confident ready to throw down all the time. I also kept one of Potato's babies and named it Spud.

They're doing great, hanging out in their nursery jar. Still so tiny and adorable!

20201127_135612.jpg
20201127_135551.jpg
20201127_135219.jpg

JenVegas

Arachnosquire
I put Feisty and Tater (my 9yo likes that name better than Spud) in with the adults, and they immediately bolted for the humid hide. Later, I found Tater and Benjamin hanging out together in the sphagnum moss on the bottom of the hide.

20201219_004118.jpg

Ben is my smallest male, but he still looks giant compared to Tater. And he's been hanging out in the damp moss for the last couple of days, so I'm wondering if he's going to molt soon. It's rare to see him anywhere besides the egg carton, and rare for him to stay still long enough for a picture. But he has been all about that humidity lately.

JenVegas

Arachnosquire
Got the scorpions a new log hide, because I just love seeing them ignore everything for their egg carton.

Sandy was the first to check it out. But at first, she was pretty determined not to climb on it, squeezing herself between it and the glass.

20201221_030235.jpg

But finally she figured out that it's easier to just climb over it.

20201221_030246.jpg

Then she wanted to explore a bit. And Max decided to check it out, too.

20201221_030627.jpg

20201221_030633.jpg

But then they had their fun and went back to the carton with everyone else.

20201220_140942.jpg

I mean, it's cool. Not like the log has tons of space and textures and lots of little nooks and crannies for them to hide in, without looking like there's a random piece of trash in the tank. Not like it's big enough that it has its own temp gradient.

Part of me just wants to throw the carton out and force them to use the bigger, nicer hides, but every time I think about it, I just can't bring myself to take it away from them. It's their absolute favorite thing.

I already have to sacrifice aesthetics with the humid hide (still working on a more natural looking one that maintains consistent humidity levels and is easy to open up with tongs), so I guess a cruddy looking egg carton won't hurt anything. As long as it makes them happy.

And I do have to admit that they look really, really freaking cute all curled up together in a pile like that.

Attachments