Jelly to prevent Tarantula Climbing?

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive read spotty information here and there about a jelly or gel that you can apply to you tarantula terranium to prevent them from climbing the sides of the tank... true?

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i dont think its true and for that matter why would you want to thats just plain stupid.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive read spotty information here and there about a jelly or gel that you can apply to you tarantula terranium to prevent them from climbing the sides of the tank... true?
The products in question are meant to prevent climbing roaches from escaping a colony. Tarantulas climb, its a simple fact. Place the substrate high enough so if your T falls off the side it does not hurt itself.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
make it simple, space from substrate to top of the tank = legspan of ur T or close to it

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutely - if it's arboreal, then climbing is what it does, and if terrestrial, then you could channel your efforts into finding out why it might be unhappy and fixing the situation... gel, or jelly of any description is likely to get stuck in its scopulae, which will then stick to great clumps of substrate, and the spider will not appreciate this. Spiders that have an exploratory chew on things might ingest it at worst, although I imagine these things are probably water-based, but even so - not good sticking up all the hairs in the mouth area either I wouldn't have thought...

that would be a resounding 'no need' from me too then :)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i say why do it :? some ( t . s ) do climbing and as long as they can not fall to far :? i can not see the point of doing it ? == phil

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i dont think its true and for that matter why would you want to thats just plain stupid.

er... so what is the difference between putting a lid on a cage to keep the tarantula from climbing as it will and a bug barrier? both would be intended to make the tarantula do what a person wants

i just love how some ppl jump all over someone's 'nads for asking about a new idea no one has tried before. way to find out new things, folks

however, there might be something to think about.... the barrier material will most likely coat the tarantulas scopulae (the sticky pads it glasswalks with) and so it is conceivable that the tarantula would lose its ability to cling while at one of the highest points in the cage

also, i absolutely hate the bug barriers sold specifically as such just about as much as i hate vasoline/petroleum jelly. both leave disgusting, hard to clean up messes and gods forbid you should get some on your elbow and then distribute little dabs around your room.

i use olive oil. it works better than vaso at a wider range of temperatures and also is much easier to clean up and cheaper (i got a big bottle at the $1 store) and easier to apply. so... the only possible bad thing about it is you have to reapply it slightly more often than the other more viscuous products in the hot parts of the year

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do you put the lids on your tarantulas cages ? then you are making it do what you want it to ?