Jelly Roll Of Death

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not too long ago I got another C. brachycephalus from Golden Phoenix and it has made a very strange little home. Instead of digging a burrow or staying out in the open, it rolled up a big mat of silked up peat, and then tunneled into the hollow center to form a kind of demonic jelly roll. It is really bizarre to watch this wad of peat move around when crickets walk on top of it and then see two legs tear through it and grab the cricket, disappearing as quickly as they appeared. I discovered this construction one day when I couldn't find the spider and picked up the 'roll' of peat and let's say I was a little surprised to find that the spider was inside the wad of dirt I was holding, like some kind of spider enchilada.

Adrian

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Genus????

What's the full genus name of that species? That is what Purseweb Spiders (Atypidae) do at the bases of trees - they make a vertical tube with silk and debris.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is Ceratogyrus brachycephalus. One of the horned baboon species. I've not seen that behavior with mine, but it sounds rather interesting.

Botar

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Genus????

Originally posted by D-Man
What's the full genus name of that species? That is what Purseweb Spiders (Atypidae) do at the bases of trees - they make a vertical tube with silk and debris.

This is a horizontal roll, and difficult to identify as such unless you're dumb enough to do as I did and poke around in there with your bare hands.

Adrian