Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Jarhead

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by cashewman1, Apr 14, 2006.

1. cashewman1

cashewman1 Arachnobaron

WI
    Advertisement
    Just finished the movie and theres a scene where they match off a Pandinus imperator against, What im thinking is a Hadrusus Spadix. Anyone seen it?

Point A- Neither of these are found in Iraq or Kuwait correct?

Point B- The Emperor stings the spadix twice after jostling it and it immediately dies, Is that a load of bull crap or what? Emp venom wouldnt even work that fast on a cricket.

Point C- They defintely had to kill the Spadix for that scene, tis sad

Point D- Why couldnt they have given it to me instead.

Can anyone confirm that it was a spadix? No doubt first one was an emp just not entirely sure bout the last one, Looked like it to me though.

2. Australis

Australis Arachnobaron

Guess thats why they gave the title Jarhead...:D

3. MEXICOYA415

MEXICOYA415 Arachnobaron

Hey cash I saw that movie this past weekend with my girlfriend and I thought it was mediocre at best. Anyways-
    A- I was thinking the same thing as you. The emp. I figured might have been a pet the soldier brought with him. As for the spadix, that was probably a screw up on their part. Those two scorps. are in movies quite alot and are probably the types that are most commonly kept for movies.
    B- I thought that was pretty weird too seeing as thier venom is pretty weak.
    C-That also seemed pretty weird seeing as how the animal rights laws I think would come into effect. The only thing I could think of is that it was some pretty good special effects. It looked pretty damn real though.
    D-Because their assholes.

4. BaronFel181

BaronFel181 Arachnosquire Old Timer

It seemed like the real fight scene between the scorps was CG. They probably used an emp because they look cool and they're easy to handle. Thats why emps are always the scorp u see in movies. It's just a movie guys and the scorpions were just one small scene. I don't think anyone cared to research what scorps the marines would actually find.

5. quiz

quiz Arachnoprince

i've seen that movie. I'm gonna have to look at the scorpion fight again. I thought it was either a.bicolor or a.crassicauda against deathstalker.

6. thesupermonkey

thesupermonkey Arachnosquire Old Timer

Must beg to differ...

As weak as the emperor's venom might be I'd say it's more relative to the amount of venom injected, the size of the offending scorp and the site of the injection... As a matter of fact I just posted a video of one of my emps envenomating a large mouse in the rump. The mouse died approx. 24 seconds after the sting. It goes without saying a mammal will die faster than an invert, but given a large dose and favorable injection site I don't think it's unreasonable to assume it's 'possible' though highly unlikely. But then again... we are talking about a movie.

7. canadianscorp

canadianscorp Arachnodemon

deffinately not an andro in that scene.

8. quiz

quiz Arachnoprince

I couldn't really tell. The fight scene was only 2 seconds I think:?

9. Normski2020uk

Normski2020uk Arachnolord Old Timer

Hi folks, Firstly you are right about the scorps, however it is unlikly that this Emp. Scorp was taken out as a pet, i have served over there and it difficult to get things out. Even harder to get things back, and penalities are tough. Unfortunatly the scorp/spider fighting is very comon whereever Squadies go, if they can find a bug and make it fight they will. On the pluse side i have had to treat countless stings and bites on dumb squadites who got on the wrong side of them. As for the suden death, i agree its unlikely, but think of it in scale, a talison the sharp end the size of javelin, thrust into your belly, then injected with a couple of ltrs of venoum, Ouch i know i wouldnot get back up. But hey its only a film!!!!

10. Dennis1

Dennis1 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Yes , its a P. imperator and a Hadurus spp. ( I think H. spadix ) .

1/2 secound after stung the H. spadix was dead ... I think they have done anythink with a movie-programm on the computer ... I dont know ...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  11. I've never seen that movie but was told the scorp scene was all cg.

12. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

Well I was thinking the same thing when I saw the movie. I know eps hardly sting but i had mine sting me twice in a row last time last week and it still kinda burns. I think its unlikely but definatly possible for an emp to kill a "whatever that was" altough they probably sped up the process

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.