Japenese Beetle (Popillia japonica) Care?

vmdraco

Arachnopeon
Hi guys!

My dad was gardening and found a pretty late stage grub of the common Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica). Half of its body is starting to turn a black color so I'm assuming it's getting ready to pupate into an adult. Since they are invasive I thought of keeping it as a pet, as my dad said if he found the grubs he would let me have one to raise since he normally just kills them. So far I took the grub and placed it in a jar filled with the dirt it was in and covered it close to the surface, but I've yet to find anything online that tells me what to do next.

I know they feed on plant roots and leaves, but I'm unsure of how to go about obtaining the plants they like or even how to take care of them properly. According to what I've read, they feed on plants that I don't think I have readily available or even know where to purchase or grow. Given their spread in my area, they're probably pretty hardy, but wanted to be sure. I'm wondering if keeping it in the freezer would be better since they're supposed to hibernate?

Is anyone familiar with these guys at all or how to care for them? It's difficult to find information on them since all they talk about is extermination. Thank you! :)

XxMochiixX

Arachnosquire
I got a female to lay eggs and raised the larvae on bean plants, they ate the roots and I just kept planting new ones in there until they pupated. You don't have to hibernate them, mine turned into adults in 3 months and I fed the beetles lettuce and apple slices

I also heard you can plant grass or sunflower seeds for them :)

vmdraco

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much! A lot of the plants I saw listed weren't possible for me to really get. I'll see if my dad has some seeds lying around so I can grow them for the larvae :)

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
Please try not to breed these. They're an invasive species and do major damage to crops and other plants. Enjoy the adult beetle for what it is without trying to breed them. We absolutely do not need MORE of these running around.

vmdraco

Arachnopeon
Please try not to breed these. They're an invasive species and do major damage to crops and other plants. Enjoy the adult beetle for what it is without trying to breed them. We absolutely do not need MORE of these running around.
Hey sorry for the late reply here! I do not have any intention to breed them. I simply wanted to keep it as a pet until its death, as I know it does damage to my area and having a comfortable life with me would have been preferable :) Unfortunately not long after I posted this question the grub itself died, as the process of pulling it out of the ground must have injured it. So I don't even have a grub to take care of.